Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Readme - documentation error  (Read 2511 times)

ccheaton

• Coppermine newbie
Readme - documentation error
« on: August 25, 2004, 10:23:17 pm »

While it's clear what your intentions are in the documentation, there are some version number inconsistencies in section "3.1 Upgrading from version 1.0" of the documentation.  You are back and forth between versions 1.0, 1.2, and 1.3, when I think you mean to only be back and forth between 1.0 and 1.3.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 06:32:17 am by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Readme - documentation error
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 10:50:28 pm »

you're wrong: the docs describe upgrading from all prior versions to the most recent version, not only from 1.0 to 1.3.2.
We had a shorter paragraph in there some time ago, but that seemed to be even more confusing for users.
Your bottom line is: "change the upgrading guide!" - and this is what we will do asap. Of course we'd be happy if you (or someone else) came up with good suggestions how the text should be - as you are the users, you should know how to say things, while we (as developers of the app) know our app and the necessary steps pretty good by heart.

GauGau

ccheaton

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 06:02:28 am »

Section 3.1 says:

If you already have installed version 1.0 and you want to transfer your albums to version 1.2 proceed in the following way:

* Install version 1.3 normally in a directory different from the one where you installed v 1.0. Note that in order to use the upgrade script, tables for version 1.0 and 1.3 must be stored in the same database.
    * Copy the "albums" directory of version 1.0 into the directory where you installed version 1.3
    * The upgrade script assumes that you used the "CPG_" prefix for tables (default value) when you installed version 1.0, if this is not the case, edit upgrade-1.0-to-1.2.php and edit the $prefix10 variable.
    * Login to your 1.3 Gallery, enter the admin mode
    * Call the upgrade script, http://yousitename/coppermine_dir/upgrade-1.0-to-1.2.php
    * The upgrade from 1.0 to 1.3 is a two-step process. You must click the link which comes up on the bottom of the page to complete the upgrade!.
    * Delete upgrade-1.0-to-1.2.php from your server.
    * If you get an error, go to Coppermine 1.2 config page, enable debug mode, try to call the upgrade script again and check what errors you get.

This upgrade process leaves your v1.0 gallery untouched

Thie way this is written, it sounds like you need to install Coppermine 1.3 in order to upgrade from 1.0 to 1.2...  I don't understand why that would be necessary.  Why would somebody who downloaded 1.3.x want to upgrade from 1.0 to 1.2? 

I love the software - it was a cinch to install and I'm looking forward to customizing it.  I integrated it with my wordpress install.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 06:26:46 am »

OK, I see - you're right, there the version numbers truely were mixed up. I'll change it in the cvs.

GauGau
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 16 queries.