Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IP Logging only logs localhost....  (Read 2547 times)

eTard

• Coppermine newbie
IP Logging only logs localhost....
« on: August 17, 2004, 08:45:26 am »

I have a nice gallery set up, and I am impressed with how quickly I managed to get comfortable with Coppermine.  One nagging problem I have is the IP logging is only catching the localhost IP.  This is what I see following the commenters name:
Code: [Select]
(192.168.1.110 [192.168.1.110])That IP of course is the internal LAN IP of the server, which is behind a NAT / port forwarded set-up.  This shows up regardless of the poster, or whether its on the same subnet or not.

The reason this is an issue is because the album is viewed by many people without logins (trust me, logins will only help the site die faster), yet they are allowed to comment at will.  There are a few troublemakers whom I can track down in server logs if I act fast enough, otherwise its a needle in the haystack ordeal.  If I got the correct IPs I would just forward them in Apache to a warning at which point they would have to contact me to be reallowed.  Since the IP resovles to RoadRunner cable in a logical area, it would make things difficult for at least a little while until their IP is renewed.  There is nothing sensitive or mission critical, it would simply keep order in a simple way.

Thanks for the help, hopefully I'll be back for more :D

Chris

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: IP Logging only logs localhost....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 09:34:05 am »

The IP addresses showing up is/are the PHP var(s) $REMOTE_ADDR
If your server (or something within your LAN) translates them, or if this is what shows up for some users because of their setup, there's little we can do. You can't get other information, you have to run with what you get.
Blocking IP addresses doesn't work in most cases anyway, since most users get an IP address dynamically assigned by their ISP. During their next session, the IP address will have changed anyway. The introduction of IP banning has been discussed controversial in the coppermine dev team, basically it's there because it gives coppermine admin a feeling of power (they kept requesting it), but imo it's of little practical use.

GauGau

eTard

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 09:54:45 am »

I see this IP in the phpinfo() page, is there any way to modify it so I can get IP's?  Again, its not a huge deal, but I could very quickly find out who it is by forwarding them to another page through Apache.  The cable provider in question also uses 'sticky' DHCP so really the IP can't be easily changed by the user with out quite a few hours of downtime (modem off) or changing the MAC address.  If theres a solution, I'm all ears.  If nothing else so I can see how many unique people are actually posting, therefore showing the successfulness of comments.

Thanks

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 10:24:54 am »

no easy fix for this - would require a lot of messing with the code and apache internals. Sorry.

GauGau
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 19 queries.