Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Organization. Maybe its just me.  (Read 7288 times)

JCphotog

• Coppermine frequent poster
Organization. Maybe its just me.
« on: June 13, 2004, 07:26:07 pm »

Is it possible to organize and move albums into other categories?  Maybe I'm missing something. When I log in as an admin, I can  easily select to create a new album in any category.  However.  When I log in as a user I don't see anyplace but user galleries. 

How can I organize their albums and move them into new categories?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 07:53:47 pm by JesseCohen »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Organization. Maybe its just me.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 10:25:25 am »

The admin can move any album from one public category to another. The user can't. Private albums (in user galleries) can't be moved to public categories at all.

For details, post a link.

GauGau

JCphotog

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 05:19:19 pm »

Sure.  That makes sense.  Thanks.  www.artdc.org .  Where do you manage and move the albums?  Next question is, once you move them, can the users still edit them?

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 05:37:56 pm »

You manage the albums by clicking on the 'properties' button, which is next to the album thumb when in admin mode.

As gaugau said, you cannot normally move albums created by users into the public categories.  You can only do that by manually changing the database.

Users cannot edit albums in the public cats, although they can upload to them, if you set the albums properties to allow visitors to upload.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

JCphotog

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 06:27:24 pm »

Ok.  So if I manually move a user album to a different category, which table do I change?  And am I understanding correctly that it is  possible that they will still be able to up load to that album once it is moved?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 07:21:18 pm »

user will be able to upload to public albums if you configured permissions accordingly. Moving albums from user galleries to public ones can only be accomplished by hacking the database (with a tool like phpMyAdmin) and is only recommended for experienced users. Backup your db before fiddling with it!

GauGau

JCphotog

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 07:29:35 pm »

Sure that what a figured.  Always back up. Its the only undooooo.  I was curious if you had an idea of what table I would edit to move the gallery from a user gallery to a public gallery.  This seems like it might be a lot of work to do on a regular basis.  For future versions, have you thought about adding greater flexibility in the management and placement of albums with in categories.  This could be real usefull if you have different classes of people posting.  I.e with in say a machine shop's forum.  You could have a drill category.  A grinding category, a water saw category, and users could post albums in each different categories? 

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 07:44:08 pm »

What you request can already be accomplished - just allow uploads to public albums, as stated above.

GauGau

JCphotog

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 05:50:59 pm »

Great.  Now where do I make this change?  I see under groups admin approval on pulic albums.  But thats it. I'm probably missing something. Don't you love trouble shooting! :)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 08:07:11 am »

That's not a matter of trouble-shooting, but documentation-reading >:(
Wehn logged in as admin, click "properties next to the album thumbnail and set "Visitors can upload" to "Yes"

GauGau

JCphotog

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 09:40:35 pm »

Sorry. And thank you for the info.  Another documentation question on the same vein.  After selecting yes, only registered visitors will be able to upload?  Correct?

Thank you always for your excellent help.   8)

JCphotog

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 05:44:12 am »

Quick permissions questions. On the list of directories, what should the permissions be? 

albums, bridge, docs, images, include, lang, sql, themes.  I think someone hacked my site.  Everything was changed to 777, I refreshed with a backup, and practically everything was 755 in the backup.   :o

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 06:16:26 am »

Sorry. And thank you for the info.  Another documentation question on the same vein.  After selecting yes, only registered visitors will be able to upload?  Correct?

Thank you always for your excellent help.   8)
Depends on your groups settings

Quick permissions questions. On the list of directories, what should the permissions be?  

albums, bridge, docs, images, include, lang, sql, themes.  I think someone hacked my site.  Everything was changed to 777, I refreshed with a backup, and practically everything was 755 in the backup.   :o
Depends on your server setup. If your coppermine gallery is already installed, usually 644 should be enough for all folders except "albums" (and all sub-folders), which should have 755 (or 777, depending on your config). On fresh install, the include folder should be 755 or 777 as well.

Don't hijack threads, not even the ones you started yourself. We have a policy of "one issue per thread" - your permissions question definitely would have belonged to  new thread. We have this policy for two good reasons:
1) to make life easier for supporters (being able to flag single issues as "solved" or "open"
2) to make life easier for users browsing/searching this board for help - they won't have to dig their way through unrelated stuff

Not playing by these rules is very selfish, and you shouldn't be surprised if you get rude answers, or no answers at all, or if your question doesn't get answered in as much detail as it would have been answered if you played by the rules.

GauGau

JCphotog

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 06:25:14 am »

Thanks for the help.  Its your board, Your rules, I'll submit.  But I disagree with your etymology.  It was not an intentional err on my part.  Apologies.   I will post a new topic next time.

1. Thank you.

2. If necessary, feel free to delete my last post.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 06:30:46 am by JesseCohen »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004, 06:34:08 am »

Its your board, Your rules, I'll submit.  But I disagree with your etymology.
It's common sense and a policy widely used on support boards all over the net. I'm not sure what you mean by "etymology" in this case though.

GauGau

JCphotog

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2004, 06:45:46 am »

Sorry. Etymology is the study of the meaning of words.  Basically.  I meant, Its the first time I made this mistake.  I will post a new message next time, However, I do not consider my self selfish, for inadvertently breaking a rule.  But why should computers be different from the DMV or government.  Implied consent rules the world.  This is off topic, and will be my last reply on this subject.

I disagree with the negative karma point, since it was not an intentional mistake.  Please take that into consideration.  Either way, I still think it is excellent to have such active support on an open source project.

Good luck, and my best to the helpful programers out there.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2004, 06:57:43 am »

OK, fine - let's call this discussion complete then.

GauGau

P.S.
[ot]
Etymology is the study of the meaning of words.
Actually, it's the study of origins of words.
Example:
CHAIR
Chair comes from Greek "kathedra" ("kata" down and "hed-" sit) meaning seat. Into Latin this became "cathedra" and then to Old French as "chaiere". The word "cathedral" from the same source means the place where a Bishop sits (his "see," from Latin "sedem" meaning seat).
(from http://www.putlearningfirst.com/language/04change/etmol.html )
[/ot]

JCphotog

yes complete.
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2004, 07:02:12 am »

Yes! Touche. My definition was off.  Noam Chomski I am not. The idea was still there.  Please consider removing the negative point.  Thanks and good night.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.