Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved]: installing coppermine with xampp on xp?  (Read 6723 times)

sherifffruitfly

• Coppermine newbie
[Solved]: installing coppermine with xampp on xp?
« on: March 21, 2004, 11:43:33 pm »

Hi all,

I'm (obviously) new at the web-admin stuff....

I just installed xampp on my winxp machine, and that went without a hitch (well, except for some sort of a jpgraph font problem...).

The reason I installed xampp was because it was recommended for use with the Coppermine image gallery web app.

I've got them both on my machine now, and I just don't know how to tell apache that "localhost" should point to the coppermine stuff, and not the xampp stuff....

I've tried following the coppermine instructions, but I draw a blank when they say "upload your stuff to the server"... help?

Also in those same instructions, #9 at http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/faq.php , it says to point my browser to an install.php file. When I do this, I only get the source code on my screen - the php isn't actually run. I know that PHP is correctly installed and working, since I've seen it work on the default xampp webpage, and the xampp status thingie reports no errors.

I've tried editing the DocumentRoot property in the httpd.conf file, so that it points at coppermine (namely <Directory "C:/cpg1.2.1_standalone/cpg1.2.1_standalone">), but this just game me some sort of an error - i'll post it if anyone's interested.

I'm out of ideas about how to get apache to see coppermine, so that I can complete the coppermine install instructions. Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

thanks,

cdj

sherifffruitfly

• Coppermine newbie
<ahem>.......
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 12:06:57 am »

thanks a bunch for answering,

well, the (local) address i WAS trying to point my browser to was somewhere on another branch of my directory tree - I had coppermine totally separate from xampp - I now gather that was an error :)

I've now put the coppermine directory into xampp's htdocs subdir, and the install.php script works fine.

Now I've got one last question: I can't get off the initial install.php screen without specifying a mysql database. Is this database supposed to already have been created? I was imagining just putting all my pics into the albums subdirectory, and coppermine would just do it's magic.....

What exactly do I need to do, in terms of database-setup-wise?

(just a link to an answer is perfectly fine.... I haven't had time yet to research this question myself....)

thanks again for your help,

cdj

tbone2004

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 12:20:51 am »

yup, you need a database software, for cpg to work yuo can get a very good free one here: http://www.mysql.com/

also i would install the database before installing cpg, or run the install.php again after installing the database, becuase cpg will need to know some info of the database, also get yourself phpmyadmin here:
http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/

its for admin the database

Cheers,
Mark

sherifffruitfly

• Coppermine newbie
doh! - wasn't clear - sorry......
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 12:39:46 am »

I meant to say:

I've already installed xampp, which includes mysql - they're up and running.

I didn't realize that I needed to come into the coppermine install with a database already created - I thought/imagined that coppermine would take my pics, and make a database out of them. I'm happy to do this, but I have absolutely no idea what the database structure  is supposed to look like. How many tables in it? What fields? Where should it be kept, in order to work well with coppermine? Presumably phpmyadmin is a fine way to create this database?

I'm sorry if these questions are already answered somewhere - I've really made an effort to look this stuff up myself.....

thanks again,

cdj

tbone2004

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 01:04:54 am »

all you need to do is create a database, cpg will do the rest, make the tables and evrythig, the reason you need a database is cpg needs some weres to store the data for the pics info, user  and ect. you can use phpmyadmin to creat a database, or you can use command prompt and run the command to create the database. you can find the info for that on the mysql site.

Cheers,
Mark

sherifffruitfly

• Coppermine newbie
beat ya to it!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 01:12:31 am »

lol - one good thing about not knowing how long you'll wait for a forum answer.... it encourages unguided exploration.... :)

thanks a jillion for the help,

cdj
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 14 queries.