Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: going in circles with permissions for specific albums  (Read 3777 times)

traypup

• Coppermine novice
going in circles with permissions for specific albums
« on: July 11, 2007, 01:48:21 am »

Hi all!

I set up coppermine and phpbb separately, tested them, and then bridged them. I suspect that's important to this process, although I don't think the bridge is what's hampering me.

The site is for a scrapbooking store. Customers can sign up for the forum, make albums in the customer gallery, and that all works just fine.

Now I have some members of the design team for the store. We want them to have "official" design team albums, one for each designer, in the design team category. I set up these albums in that category. I see anyone with Admin privileges can upload files to those albums, but I don't want to give them all admin status. I made a group called "design team", but I can't see where to give the design team permission to post to those albums.

What is the best way to give people privileges to upload to these non-customer albums? All albums on the site are viewable by all.
Has anyone tried a similar scenario?

thanks!
t.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 04:16:18 pm by GauGau »

Nibbler

Re: going in circles with permissions for specific albums
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 05:38:05 am »

Rename the 'user galleries' category and use that. Each designer can create their own album within that special category.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 10:17:59 am »

Another option would be to pre-create the public albums and then allow the special group to allow uploads to plublic albums. Then go to the album's properties and allow uploads there. Please refer to the documentation for details. Post a link and non-admin test user account if you need details.

traypup

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 03:59:28 pm »

Thank you Nibbler and GauGau. No wonder I was having such a hard time...I was just doing something that can't be done *rolls eyes* I can be so dumb sometimes.

thank you thank you!!

traypup

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 04:38:43 pm »

Hi again,

I've been trying to do what you recommended, but I think I'm not wrapping my head around this right.

thememoryzone.com/gallery
user: testsignup
pwd: password

I need all of those design team albums in a category that designates them as the store's design team, because these are their "official" photos for the store. They will also have their own customer albums if they so choose.

I renamed "user galleries" to "customer albums" but I see I can't put categories below that. Is there a way to make two public categories?

I don't know why I'm having such a hard time wrapping my head around this and I apologize for bothering you guys so much.

Ideally, this is what we need:

Design Team Albums (category with one album for each designer in it)   
   Customer Albums (category where any user can make their albums)
            Also, under this category, we'd ideally have four other albums, where any customer can post photos)
   Classes (category for store staff to make albums for each class)
   Contests (category for store staff to make albums for each contest)

i think that'd everything and I appreciate all your help. They are really eager to get this thing working.
thanks!
t.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 05:47:14 pm »

Your gallery description is "Photos from our Staff, Design Team and Customers!", so you'll need these groups:
  • Administrators - (member: you only)
  • Registered (members: your paying customers)
  • DesignTeam
You'll need upload permissions to public albums for the members of the design team. Allow your customers (aka members of the registered group) to have personal galleries instead (on Coppermine's groups panel).
Then go to category manager and create the public categories (the ones where the albums should reside that the design team is suppossed to populate).
Next, go to the album manager and create the albums for the design team guys within the categories you just created.
Finally, go to the album properties screens of the albums you created just one step ago and set "visitors can upload" to "yes. This doesn't mean that everybody will be able to upload, but only the members of the groups that have the privilege to upload to public albums in the first place. Remember which group is the only one that has got that privilege? Right, the members of your design team group. Your customers can have personal galleries.
If you decide for this option, re-name the user galleries (in category manager) to "customer galleries".

Joachim

P.S. You have cpg1.4.10 - it's mandatory to upgrade to cpg1.4.12 immediately!

traypup

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 12:36:40 am »

Hi GauGau,

Thank you SO much for your patience. I may have wrapped my brain around this, however, I found that my test user who is NOT in the Design Team group (user: testsignup2; pwd: password) was still able to post to the design team albums. I attached a screen shot of the settings, because I was pretty sure I followed all of the instructions properly.

I figured out a way to get around this, however, because I have to get to the part of the site that makes money and have no more time to spend on this (frustrating!).

My client wants to approve the uploads from the Design Team before the are "official" representations of work done by store people, so I'm going to have the DT members upload everything to their personal galleries, and then let the client, who is admin, move the approved photos to the appropriate DT gallery.

Thanks for the upgrade reminder, too. I knew I had to do it, but I've been distracted due to health concerns.

Anyway...thank you again!!!!!
t.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 05:47:27 pm »

Please update. If things then still don't work as expected, send me a PM that contains a link to this thread and an admin account (if you trust me enough).

traypup

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 05:53:50 pm »

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I did update before I did all of the steps you suggested. I disabled the bridge before I updated and enabled it and updated the groups thing to sync.

But it's ok. I can work with it this way, I know your time is valuable and I don't want to spend any more time on this when I've found a solution that will work just fine! thank you for your offer, I appreciate it. *big non-gushy hug* :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.