Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it a bad idea to install CPM Fetch when you are using Tiny Portal?  (Read 18121 times)

klewless

• Coppermine frequent poster

After a review of the messages I found in search, it seems people have a lot of trouble with using CPM Fetch with TP.

I would like to use CPM Fetch to display a single random image from our gallery on the left column of the TP frontpage. I feel this would alert the users of our site to the fact we have a gallery, and give some interesting new content to the page. Has anyone done this successfully?

We have CPM bridged (successfully) with SMF and TP, all latest recommended versions, site has not launched yet as we are still installing stuff we want.

TIA
Klew
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 03:17:09 am by vuud »

vuud

• Coppermine addict
  • [cpmfetch.fistfullofcode.com]
    • Fist Full Of Code
Re: Is it a bad idea to install CPM Fetch when you are using Tiny Portal?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 01:45:38 am »

After a review of the messages I found in search, it seems people have a lot of trouble with using CPM Fetch with TP.

I would like to use CPM Fetch to display a single random image from our gallery on the left column of the TP frontpage. I feel this would alert the users of our site to the fact we have a gallery, and give some interesting new content to the page. Has anyone done this successfully?

We have CPM bridged (successfully) with SMF and TP, all latest recommended versions, site has not launched yet as we are still installing stuff we want.

TIA
Klew

People may have problems - but level of experience also varies greatly.

Implementation of CpmFetch as a PHPBlock in Tinyportal is trivial.  I would omit the cpm_close statement though.

The only other problem I recall was someone doing the include statement three times in the portal (you can only do it once)

Vuud

Post problems if you have them!

Please post for help to the forum... PM me only if you are sending security related items (passwords, security problems, etc).

cpmFetch - Images, RSS feeds from CPG from outside CPG
New release notification signup also. 
See http://cpmfetch.fistfullofco

klewless

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 12:36:28 am »

Hi.

Thanks, I think I will try this tonight. (gulp!)

Your docs say...

Once you have downloaded a version from the web site uncompress the file. Inside the compressed file, there is a folder called CpmFetch. Upload this folder to your web site. It needs to be somewhere accessable by your php or html files.

Where would that be, within the CPM fplder, anyplace in particlar? I will put it there and you tell me if I did it right and then I will go on from there.
Remember this is just going to be a basic use of CPM Fetch, nothing customized or anything.
Thanks again,
Klew

vuud

• Coppermine addict
    • Fist Full Of Code
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 03:40:06 am »

Hi.

Thanks, I think I will try this tonight. (gulp!)

Your docs say...

Once you have downloaded a version from the web site uncompress the file. Inside the compressed file, there is a folder called CpmFetch. Upload this folder to your web site. It needs to be somewhere accessable by your php or html files.

Where would that be, within the CPM fplder, anyplace in particlar? I will put it there and you tell me if I did it right and then I will go on from there.
Remember this is just going to be a basic use of CPM Fetch, nothing customized or anything.
Thanks again,
Klew

Be calm

Download the lastest dev release...

Then get the file from this post 
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=41984.0

It tells you how to install/

Then install - following the directions

It is not a mod, if it does not work, you are not left with a broken portal, or CPG.  Don't worry

let me know how the instructions work out too!

Please post for help to the forum... PM me only if you are sending security related items (passwords, security problems, etc).

klewless

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 05:34:45 am »

Hi Vuud,

I was not able to upload the file in one piece, as mac's don't do zip files; but had to create a new folder for it, and put everything in it. I checked this carefully to make sure everything was structured the same way, in order, even the empty folder (temp).

I tried to run the test. I get this message after trying to access ....cpg1410/cpmfetch/install.php from my browser:

/** * RELEASE VERSION: 1.6.4 * * This is the installation program for CpmFetch. * * Usage: Call this file from a web browser and follow the instructions * */

I noticed another post in which someone else got the same message:

Installing cpmfetch
« on: September 19, 2006, 08:33:24 PM

.....no advice there for me. I am using a stable version unlike marinelife, but my gallery is also bridged (with SMF/TP.) I could unbridge temporarily if you think that would work.

I could possibly delete what I've done and upload the g-zip file, though I have no idea if it will work any better. Or, if you think my mac is the problem, we have some pcs in this house and I could just use one of them (I'v e had to resort to that before).

Yes, I believe I got all of them, checked over and over. :'(

ugghhhh....

TIA,
Klew.

vuud

• Coppermine addict
    • Fist Full Of Code
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 02:45:54 pm »

Hi Vuud,

I was not able to upload the file in one piece, as mac's don't do zip files; but had to create a new folder for it, and put everything in it. I checked this carefully to make sure everything was structured the same way, in order, even the empty folder (temp).

I tried to run the test. I get this message after trying to access ....cpg1410/cpmfetch/install.php from my browser:

/** * RELEASE VERSION: 1.6.4 * * This is the installation program for CpmFetch. * * Usage: Call this file from a web browser and follow the instructions * */

I noticed another post in which someone else got the same message:

Installing cpmfetch
« on: September 19, 2006, 08:33:24 PM

.....no advice there for me. I am using a stable version unlike marinelife, but my gallery is also bridged (with SMF/TP.) I could unbridge temporarily if you think that would work.

I could possibly delete what I've done and upload the g-zip file, though I have no idea if it will work any better. Or, if you think my mac is the problem, we have some pcs in this house and I could just use one of them (I'v e had to resort to that before).

Yes, I believe I got all of them, checked over and over. :'(

ugghhhh....

TIA,
Klew.

Did you even read the documentation I friggin wrote and posted and so nicely pointed you too?

I am absolutely befuddled how you did what you did if you even checked the documentation...

The mac is not your problem

klewless

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 01:40:33 am »

Yes, Vuud. I did read the instructions.

I am surprised at your question, as I have downloaded the manual, read it,work alongside it, and have it open on my desktop as we speak. I have even quoted from your manual iyesterday, if you don't believe the statement I just made. if nothing else please give me some credit for that much. I assure you, I can read.  Yelling at people and acting superior are no way to treat your guests. ::)

Now as to the question itself, I did follow the instructions. I have tried both of the compressed files. The .cpmfetch/ file is a file, not a folder and seems to be a binary file (When I click on this Text Wrangler opens it, with abourt 1100 lines of code there ) There was no cpmfetch_config file inside for me to chmod.  That is why I tried uploading it manually piece by piece.

The tmp folder has nothing inside it, either. No tmp/feed/xml file. (I am not planning on an rss feed so I didnt care.)

Could it be possible that you left it out?

Please advise.

Klew

vuud

• Coppermine addict
    • Fist Full Of Code
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 02:26:25 am »

Yes, Vuud. I did read the instructions.

I am surprised at your question, as I have downloaded the manual, read it,work alongside it, and have it open on my desktop as we speak. I have even quoted from your manual iyesterday, if you don't believe the statement I just made. if nothing else please give me some credit for that much. I assure you, I can read.  Yelling at people and acting superior are no way to treat your guests. ::)

Yelling is a good way to keep the noise down.   I know it sounds cruel, but I have learned over many years and many lists that a hostile environment insures that people double check their work... most times.

And your not my guests, you are guests of the coppermine-gallery forums... think of me less as benevolent host and more as the abrasive, annoying, know-it-all relative that you have no choice but to see on holidays :)

Now as to the question itself, I did follow the instructions. I have tried both of the compressed files. The .cpmfetch/ file is a file, not a folder and seems to be a binary file (When I click on this Text Wrangler opens it, with abourt 1100 lines of code there ) There was no cpmfetch_config file inside for me to chmod.  That is why I tried uploading it manually piece by piece.

The tmp folder has nothing inside it, either. No tmp/feed/xml file. (I am not planning on an rss feed so I didnt care.)

Could it be possible that you left it out?

I was asking about following instructions cause a few posts up I told you to download the dev version - you downloaded the stable version and then tried to use the dev docs on it...  Download the dev version 1.9.12 (at this point) and follow the docs again.  That is also why you did not have a cpmfetch_config file or a feed directory.  My builds are all automated, so it is darned near impossible for something to be left out - a hundered other things could go wrong, but not that.

I'll admit I did jump the gun on the documenation comment, your output was just like someone else who messed up things... but at a second glance I see the version number difference.

Please advise.

Klew

Download the dev version, not the stable... follow the instructions, they should make more sense...

On a mac, I would try the tar.gz  file.  Since OSX is a Unix BSD base - it has to understand that... I hope.

I guess I could create sit files if there is a good ant / linux method for it...

klewless

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 03:11:16 am »

OK I will try dev version; did not want to be a guinea pig but I will give it a try.

Thanks.

I am keeping his message open and will get back to you in a few minutes......

OK....did that.... it works.  :o

It is not mac OS that is a problem actually, but Safari, which tries to be helpful and unzip things for you.

More later, probably,

Klew

PS I disagre with your remarks about yelling but who am I around here but hapless victim/guineapig. Nonetheless I do owe you an apology for trying to ask for help at such an early hour when my head just wants to be on the pillow, and posting incomplete information about what I am trying to do.

vuud

• Coppermine addict
    • Fist Full Of Code
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 03:30:49 am »

OK I will try dev version; did not want to be a guinea pig but I will give it a try.

I should have been more clear when I told you to get the dev... the instructions are specifically for it.

How did they work once you had the dev version?

BTW: The dev version right now is very stable - if I wanted to confuse things more I would start calling it a release candidate... its actually better than the stable IMO

Thanks.

I am keeping his message open and will get back to you in a few minutes......

OK....did that.... it works.  :o

It is not mac OS that is a problem actually, but Safari, which tries to be helpful and unzip things for you.

More later, probably,

Klew

PS I disagre with your remarks about yelling but who am I around here but hapless victim/guineapig. Nonetheless I do owe you an apology for trying to ask for help at such an early hour when my head just wants to be on the pillow, and posting incomplete information about what I am trying to do.

I too once thought that way.  But I have been on many many lists... and the ones that slap down people not willing to try to figure it out for themselves have the lowest signal to noise ratio.  That and the more work people try to do for themselves, the less I feel like I need to answer questions.  But anyway...

Let me know if the docs could be clearer in any part... I have to docbook them soon.

klewless

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 03:34:50 am »

OK.... we are ready to do the test file. I wonder if it is OK to just make a copy of index.php and put it in a new folder labelled index2. Or do you want a blank file with jus basic html tags.

TIA
Klew

klewless

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 04:38:28 am »

I'm reading along, but wondering...why would i want a copy of ./cpg1410/index.php  when I want to put the images onto the left column of my message board, not on the home page of my gallery? Don't I need a copy of

./board/index.php? or perhaps ./board/themes/index.php (where the TP theme resides)

And then when I have the copy of the index file, what do I do next.

What I thought I was supposed to do, once CPM Fetch is installed, is, take some code, modify it (OK so I  put in the path to my gallery, and just the tables and rows accordingly, paste it into am article or a block on TP and voila. No???

Klew

vuud

• Coppermine addict
    • Fist Full Of Code
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 05:35:37 am »

What I thought I was supposed to do, once CPM Fetch is installed, is, take some code, modify it (OK so I  put in the path to my gallery, and just the tables and rows accordingly, paste it into am article or a block on TP and voila. No???

This part sounds right...  Its the wee hours of the morning here, so the rest is not making sense.

The beta doc's do not cover doing it into Tinyportal... but the code you use in there is the same.  Paste that into a PHP Block in tiny portal.

Once you do the install.php, you only need to insert some code into TP...

Hope this helps

klewless

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 05:51:49 am »

Looking at p. 4 in your manual, it does not state the manual is for the dev version only, and you should not use the manual for other versions of CPMFetch.  "Stable or Development?" on that page seems to imply you have a choice, and the instructions apply to either, in fact, you actually say, "Select the one that best fits your needs."  

So that is the source of the earlier confusion.

And now I have decided I would take the code and put it in the block... this is the code I put in the php block (my gallery happens to be named cpg1410)
<?php
  include_once "./cpg1410/cpmfetch/cpmfetch.php";
  $objCpm = new cpm("./cpg1410/cpmfetch/cpmfetch_config.php");
  $objCpm->cpm_viewLastAddedMedia(1,4);
 ?>

I got an error message when I tried to install the code from the install page:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected '<' in /hsphere/local/home/mysite/mydomain.com/board/Sources/Load.php(1733) : eval()'d code(35) : eval()'d code on line 1

?

TIA
Klew

vuud

• Coppermine addict
    • Fist Full Of Code
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 01:45:20 pm »

Looking at p. 4 in your manual, it does not state the manual is for the dev version only, and you should not use the manual for other versions of CPMFetch.  "Stable or Development?" on that page seems to imply you have a choice, and the instructions apply to either, in fact, you actually say, "Select the one that best fits your needs." 

So that is the source of the earlier confusion.

And now I have decided I would take the code and put it in the block... this is the code I put in the php block (my gallery happens to be named cpg1410)
<?php
  include_once "./cpg1410/cpmfetch/cpmfetch.php";
  $objCpm = new cpm("./cpg1410/cpmfetch/cpmfetch_config.php");
  $objCpm->cpm_viewLastAddedMedia(1,4);
 ?>

I got an error message when I tried to install the code from the install page:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected '<' in /hsphere/local/home/mysite/mydomain.com/board/Sources/Load.php(1733) : eval()'d code(35) : eval()'d code on line 1

?

TIA
Klew

Not sure on TP exactly, but the first thing I would try is removing the <?php and the ?>.  Since it is a PHP block, TP may not require (or even accept that).  I am thinking that since the error says it was not expecting a >.  Let me know if that works.

Vuud

klewless

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 12:31:04 am »

Hmm... tried it it said now,

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: cpm in /hsphere/local/home/myacct/mysite.com/board/Sources/Load.php(1733) : eval()'d code(35) : eval()'d code on line 2

What you suggested made sense ... the thing to do seems to crosspost on the tp board and see what they say,. unless you have further suggestions. WIll report back.

K

vuud

• Coppermine addict
    • Fist Full Of Code
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 02:27:25 am »

Hmm... tried it it said now,

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: cpm in /hsphere/local/home/myacct/mysite.com/board/Sources/Load.php(1733) : eval()'d code(35) : eval()'d code on line 2

What you suggested made sense ... the thing to do seems to crosspost on the tp board and see what they say,. unless you have further suggestions. WIll report back.

K

I would post the code here that you are putting in.  Anything I tell you will be a complete guess without seeing what you are doing wrong.  Assuming its still the same code as before I would guess that your include statement is wrong.

The include path to cpmfetch.php should be calculated from the location of your forums index.php file.

So if you forum is in /board, and cpg is in /cpg1410 and cpmfetch is in /cpg1410/cpmfetch

Your include should be:

include_once "../cpg1410/cpmfetch/cpmfetch.php";

When running from the forum.

klewless

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 03:51:02 am »

Hi again.

Yes, the code was just like the code I had pasted in before, except I removed the php tags since it was in a php block.

I corrected the path.
include_once "../cpg1410/cpmfetch/cpmfetch.php"

It did not work, so I visited the TP board where there is a 16 page thread on the subjecty of tp and cpmfetch. Everyone seemed to have their own way, and I tried a few but I kept getting errors again. So I tried your method again.

and.....my forum disappeared!

Link:  http://www.sybeaumonde.com/board/index.php?action=login

Can't even sign in. Sheesh.

K.

vuud

• Coppermine addict
    • Fist Full Of Code
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 04:23:47 am »

Hi again.

Yes, the code was just like the code I had pasted in before, except I removed the php tags since it was in a php block.

I corrected the path.
include_once "../cpg1410/cpmfetch/cpmfetch.php"

It did not work, so I visited the TP board where there is a 16 page thread on the subjecty of tp and cpmfetch. Everyone seemed to have their own way, and I tried a few but I kept getting errors again. So I tried your method again.

and.....my forum disappeared!

Link:  http://www.sybeaumonde.com/board/index.php?action=login

Can't even sign in. Sheesh.

K.

Wow!  Well, sorry to hear about your forum!  I am really surprised it tanked the whole thing on a bad include.

I swear that we got this working for someone else just like this... in a PHPBlock. 

If you can get it to allow logins and you want me to go in and look at it, PM me a login. 

The " Cannot instantiate non-existent class: cpm "  always means that it cannot get at the inside of your cpmfetch.php file... so I am thinking the include is still not right.

Curses

klewless

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 05:02:14 am »

I can't log in at all, not as user, nor as admin.

So I tried removing the old cpmfetch file using my ftp program, uploaded a new one and installed it successfully. I still get the same defective login page.

Sometimes it takes things a while to work through the server. I am afraid I will have to remove CPMFetch, and TP, which seems pretty daunting to uninstall; then reinstall TP in order to log in.

More than willing to give you the information you requested if only one could log in. Do you think there is anything else I can do? If I shoot myself the whole problem will go away but I dont want to do anything to disappoint the people who will be using our new site. (Just kidding)   :'(

Klew
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.