Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shorten description in album page  (Read 2890 times)

Swissy

• Coppermine newbie
Shorten description in album page
« on: October 05, 2006, 03:47:01 am »

quesion... I have a number of photos with detailed (long!) descriptions... basically listing a number of names of people in the photos. Is there a way to shorted the description on the main album page view, and have the full description listed on the individual photo viewing page?

something like "From Left to right is..." on the album page, with "from left to right is Joe Blow, Dane Doe, and all the rest of the idiots" on the individual photo page?

otherwise when the photos with the long descriptions are towards the top, the next row of photos is way down the page as the entire description is displayed.

Sorry if this was discussed before, as I did a search but was not sure exactly what to search for!  ;D

Thanks for any help... Coppermine is going to be a godsend for me!
Jim
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 07:15:36 am by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Shorten description in album page
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 06:11:30 am »

Try something like Possibility to scroll long texts ... CSS. The thread originally refered to cpg1.3.x, but the stuff discussed there should still apply for cpg1.4.x. Basic advice is: use CSS to limit the amount of text to be displayed.

Swissy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 06:34:43 am »

thanks... I tried it and it did work. however, I wonder if it would be possible to do without the scroll bars? I don't need the full description with the thumbnail, only with the intermediate photo. I'll play with it and see if I can turn off the scrollbar while stiull having it shorten the wording...  but if anyone has that answer I'm all ears!

So far, as a 2 day user of Coppermine, I'm impressed with both the program AND the support in here. Thanks!

EDIT: FOUND IT! Changed overflow:auto to overflow:hidden and it just just what I wanted it to!!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 06:40:12 am by Swissy »

studeo

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 08:13:37 pm »

EDIT: FOUND IT! Changed overflow:auto to overflow:hidden and it just just what I wanted it to!!

where did you find the code..I can use this change as well. Were you able to add the trailing dots at the end of the shortened caption?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 09:05:53 pm by studeo »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 12:01:35 am »

in style.css, I added:
Code: [Select]
.alb_desc {
width:100%;
height:150px;
position:relative;
overflow:auto;
}

studeo

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 01:08:38 am »

Thank You. I used the following code in theme.css culled from many posts for the thumbnail description:

Code: [Select]
.thumb_caption {
        font-size: 80%;
        padding: 1px;
        display : block;
        position:relative;
        overflow:hidden;
        height:25px;

Where the 'overflow: hidden' hides the scrollbar
and the 'height: 25 px' only allows two lines of text description to be displayed.

I'm still interested in ending the abreviated 2nd line of text with trailing dots such as '...'

My abum descriptions are short so I did not need to apply the mod to that style.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 01:28:09 am by studeo »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 15 queries.