Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: login-problems  (Read 5260 times)

Marc_NL

• Coppermine newbie
login-problems
« on: July 22, 2006, 03:13:03 pm »

Users of my website (and myself) are being logged out after a very short time.  I know this problem has been reported a couple of times, so I did try these 'solutions':
* updating to Coppermine 1.4.8 (successfully)
* checking the 'banned' database (nothing in there)
* changing name of cookie
* clearing cookies from pc

But still no result. Any suggestions? My website is http://www.oudeluttighuis.nl/website
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 11:38:11 am by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: login-problems
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 04:21:38 pm »

I know this problem has been reported a couple of times,
Where? Post links to the threads you're refering to.
A non-admin test user account would help us in trying to find a solution/advice.

Marc_NL

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 05:35:06 pm »

Thank you in advance for your assistance, here are two reports on the problem:
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=33842.0
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=31954.0

I have created an account, username and password are both 'test'.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 08:16:46 pm »

Login sticks fine for me. The threads you refered to above are good examples for people asking for help when it turns out that they failed to update as suggested. They both don't apply to you.
Advice I could give: tick the remember me checkbox and make sure that you don't have over-paranoid cookie settings in place on your PC. Usually, stupid pseudo-security apps like "Norton Internet Security" and similar crap interfere with cookies (although they shouldn't, as there already are all needed mechanisms built-into browsers).

Joachim

Marc_NL

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 09:27:23 am »

Thank you, when the 'remember me' checkbox is ticked the problem does not appear. But still... shouldn't this be up to the user? Sometimes the problem appears immediately after login, sometimes after +- 10 minutes, but it always does.

On three different pc's Coppermine worked okay until a couple of weeks ago and now it doesn't. I know that on two of these pc's there were no changes in the security-settings (except the normal LiveUpdate of 'Norton Internet Security'). Lots of people are using 'Norton Internet Security', there is nothing I can do about that.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or is this a bug in Coppermine?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 11:37:58 am »

As I told you before: the fact that you're using "Norton Internet Security" is to blame, not Coppermine. Don't use that app, it's crap. If you must use it, configure it properly. Don't expect us to help you fixing the silly desktop app. Tell that app to butt out of cookie management and cookie lifetime. I have no idea how to accomplish this. You bought it, you use it.

Marking thread accordingly as "solved", as it's quite obvious that NIS is to blame. Didn't it make you wonder how I could know that you're using that app before you even told us? ;)

Marc_NL

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 12:31:21 pm »

Obviously this calls for a proper test. So I switched off 'Norton Internet Security'...

Problem is still there.

So 'not solved' (please 'un-tick' this on the forum). Does anyone have a suggestion?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 11:58:32 pm »

How long does the login stick for you? Check cookie settings in your browser as well, or try using another browser. Another option: change your login template to make the "remember me" ticked by default.

Marc_NL

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 06:45:00 pm »

I tried two logins: one sticked 3 min. 12 sec. and the other 2 min. 37 sec.

I also tried a friend's computer and Netscape: the same problem appears.

I'd rather leave it up to the users to 'remember me'. But what would I have to change in login.php to make 'remember me' ticked by default?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 07:34:34 pm »

Edit login.php, find
Code: [Select]
<input name="remember_me" type="checkbox" class="checkbox" value="1" tabindex="3" />and replace with
Code: [Select]
<input name="remember_me" type="checkbox" class="checkbox" value="1" tabindex="3" checked="checked" />

Marc_NL

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 08:41:13 pm »

I edited login.php. Thank you for your help.

A final solution for this problem is still welcome...

Sami

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
  • BMossavari
    • My Project
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 04:58:18 pm »

may be it's a server cookie/session restriction
ask your host for any restriction on cookie or session life time or if you are administrator and have access to php.ini
check [Session] section of that
‍I don't answer to PM with support question
Please post your issue to related board

sjordan

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 03:05:20 am »

Hello,

I've been using CPG for months now and recently started having the same problem.

BTW, I'm not using NORTON. Hell, I'm not even using Windows. I'm on a Linux box using Firefox 1.5.

Within the last day, logins are expiring within minutes.

Unfortunately can't post a link as the site is hosted on a local server ... accessing via localhost at the moment during development. But internal user accessing the sites (by editing /etc/hosts to point to the server IP) are starting to experience the same thing.

Any thoughts?

CPG v 1.4.8

FOLLOW-UP:

I have truncated the sessions tabled (i.e. emptied it) and things seem to be working again. While this seems to solve the problem (will monitor it), clearly this is not the intended operation. One should not have to manually clear sessions tables.

It would suggest to me, without tracing it yet, that garbage collection / session management is not quite working correctly, especially when we have testing users logging in dozens of times a day.

Your thoughts are welcome.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 03:25:16 am by sjordan »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 16 queries.