Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there any chance of 3GP support?  (Read 12439 times)

brownChiLD

• Coppermine newbie
Is there any chance of 3GP support?
« on: December 25, 2005, 07:43:38 pm »

More and more mobile phones have cameras and most of them produce 3gp formatted videos.. i tried to upload some and coppermine 1.3.x gave me a PB error...

is there a way to make 1.3.x support 3GP formats? or is it already supported and i must be doing somthing wrong?

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: Is there any chance of 3GP support?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 04:04:05 pm »

You'll have to add .3gp to your allowed movie types.  You should upgrade to 1.4.2, then use Nibbler's plug-in for adding file types.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Megachip

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 11:27:09 pm »

where can i find there plugin?

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 11:30:10 pm »

In the 1.4 plugin board?
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

brownChiLD

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 05:01:49 am »

You'll have to add .3gp to your allowed movie types.  You should upgrade to 1.4.2, then use Nibbler's plug-in for adding file types.

thank you.

If i upgrade to 1.4.3, will I still need Nibbler's plugin?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 07:04:24 am »

yes

wiz03

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 08:25:52 am »

i also want to use 3gp on my board. but i'm actually using 1.3.5 because of the theme.
can i also use the plugin or 3gp support for v1.3.5 ?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 10:56:55 pm »

guys, I think you all got this very wrong: coppermine can manage files, videos and sorts of other document types, but after all it doesn't display none of them - jpeg, gif, png or swf files are displayed by your browser (because your browser is capable of doing this). When using movies files like wmv, avi or similar, all that coppermine does is keeping track of the location of those files, and send the files to the client PC. Coppermine then tells the client PC that it's a movie file and it should embedd the player (that has to be installed on the client PC) directly into the page in the browser if possible. If you use a pdf with coppermine, then an app like Adobe's Acrobat or similar needs to exist on the client if the user is meant to actually see it.
The very same thing goes for other file types like your 3gp files: Coppermine itself doesn't provide a player to the client that can display the movie, but the player has to exist on the client. You (as owner of a cell phone that comes with a CD containing a sync app and maybe even a software 3gp player) can play files named "foobar.3gp", while most users who don't have such an app installed won't be able to display such files no matter what.

Coppermine out-of-the-box is configured to be used with files that:
- are so common that nearly everybody has got an app on his client PC that is capable to display that particular filetype
- is not executable in itself (unlike .exe or .vbs files)

All that the above mentioned plugin does is that it allows you to add filetypes to this pre-defined list of accepted files. However, it doesn't add the capability to a client PC to actually "play" that kind of files - simply because it can't; Coppermine doesn't install software on client PCs - it's a web app, nothing else.

If you want to enable your users to display/download 3gp files, then use the plugin and add 3gp to list of files accepted by coppermine, however you have to understand that they will only be able to display those files if they have installed a player for that particular file type on their client.

wiz03

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 02:37:03 am »

i never meant either that 3gp should be played in the browser itself. i never seen such a thing as well.
the thing is, i want coppermine tell the client pc to open the file with a specific external player which is set for 3gp.

i can play 3gp files with several players, so do the people who are using the gallery. we exchange video clips taken by mobile phones. i did add 3gp into the filetype list and it uploads fine, so that should be done.

all i'm shown is just an empty area (which indicates that theres no plugin) and nothin else happens, not even the external player will pop up or 3gp download starts.
but you said it should work that coppermine tells the client to open the file with its set by default player, right? then how exactly am i gonna achieve this?

Nibbler

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 02:43:25 am »

Post a link to a 3gp file in your gallery for a start. Also describe how you added the entry to the filetypes table, ie what mime type and content you specified.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.