Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I followed the tutorial TO THE TEE...HOWEVER....  (Read 4856 times)

tmattos

• Coppermine newbie
I followed the tutorial TO THE TEE...HOWEVER....
« on: December 14, 2005, 06:05:00 am »

After looking at the tutorial, to download/unpack/upload Coppermine...

1. I went to Coppermine's site.
2. I downloaded the most stable version.
3. I unzipped it to a directory on my Hard Drive.
4. I opened up Cute FTP
5. I tried to upload it to my server.
6. I got "there is no /public_html/gallery directory" error. (that was my directory for when I tried to install "Gallery" by  menalto.com, btw)
7. When I created a directory "gallery" in /public_html, and then highlighted my coppermine and uploaded...the GALLERY files started to upload.

What's that about?!   I didn't even HIGHLIGHT the Gallery files!

I'm so lost....

Edit: The exact error I'm getting is:

505 Can't change directory to /public_html/gallery: No such file or directory.

So I'm confused why Coppermine is trying to go to that directory when the tutorial tells me I only need to "simply install it and it will work fine."

I even wrote down what I was to do to get Coppermine to install onto my server.

Please advise what I'm doing wrong.

Keep in mind: I am a school teacher. I am not a programmer nor am I a compu-guru... so I would appreciate plain, understandable English.

When I earlier installed Coppermine via Fantastico...it installed correctly...but then I tried to upload a picture...and got "That picture can't be uploaded. Your file was uploaded."... (as somebody else had problems in another forum).

I checked out that forum....and...since I didn't get my Bachelors degree in computer programming, I left...since I would have had just as easy a time had the entire forums been written in Greek.

Now, I understand that the error is on my side... however, I was just hoping to have a simple gallery on my site where my friends and family can post their pictures.

Is that a lot to ask?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: I followed the tutorial TO THE TEE...HOWEVER....
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 07:52:46 am »

the folder names in the tutorial are just examples, your actual folder names on the webserver may differ. Not sure what to recommend except that you ask your webhost for support or do some reading on webserver basics. You don't have to be a geek to install coppermine, but some basic knowledge about webserver technology is a pre-requisite, sorry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 15 queries.