Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batch Import (pseudo)Random Insertion Order  (Read 4162 times)

TruCaliberPimp

• Coppermine newbie
Batch Import (pseudo)Random Insertion Order
« on: October 13, 2005, 07:47:06 pm »

As previously indicated, I have a nice CPG installation running otherwise perfectly. Apache 2.0.56; PHP version: 5.0.4 - OK; mySQL version: 4.0.16-standard; Coppermine version: 1.3.4; gdlib2 enabled; no other applications latched on like phpBB, etc. All is working elite.

However, I am noticing that when I do batch importation, that the DB records are not inserted in the same order as the files are listed in the filesystem. I assume this is because gdlib2 is parallel processing a bunch of files at once and the insert order is determined by a first available sort of mechanism...and since not all source files are the same size and in fact vary quite a bit, this means larger files will get to the insert step long after they otherwise would be expected to based on filesystem order.

This is an irritant because I want my representative album thumbnail to always be the first image in the filesystem list, but I can't seem to guarantee this other than to manually uncheck all, check only the first, import that, then go back and check the rest, then import them. A real kludge majore.

Is it configurable to instruct gdlib to handle files stepwise rather than in a gang? Have I correctly identified the issue? Any other advice on how to get the outcome I desire? Thanks,

TCP

TruCaliberPimp

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Batch Import (pseudo)Random Insertion Order
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 10:01:17 pm »

C'mon guys, is that such a scary question? Why is everybody so afraid to even try? ;)

Seriously, am I all wet on my description of events? Thanks,

TCP

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 11:05:11 pm »

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 12:49:06 am »

Not even a day - just a few hours.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

TruCaliberPimp

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 05:55:39 am »

That is very cute Thu and Kego, but I gave it a full DAY before I kvetched. :) So if by a few you mean like 24++, then yeah, you're right. I know for-free software is not going to have a hotline, and that is cool, it just seemed a little lame that others with less daunting questions were answered ahead of me in line, is all.  Note the humble question I asked of whether I was even completely barking up the wrong tree.

Whenever you think you can fit me in Thu, I am ready, thanks,

TCP

Nibbler

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 03:29:39 pm »

I think you're probably correct, but it would not be a simple task to rewrite the batch add system. This mod will process the pics in series, perhaps you could use or modify that method.

TruCaliberPimp

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 08:58:09 pm »

Hi again Nibbler, thanks for helping out again.

In your link you said:

Here we go, upload this into your coppermine directory and call it timer.php (I hardcoded it, so sue me ) then go there, you know the drill.

It will keep reloading until all the pics are added if you set it to, so you can start it and leave it unattended for hours until it finishes, even with php set with a very low max_execution_time (ignore the fatal error). Not recommended for shared hosting environments unless you are vewy vewy careful.

Note: Auto reload needs js support.

OK, did that and uploaded. I see this is a separate form and you use a sleep() to get this done. OK, thanks for the try. I was hoping for something more configurable to simply import stepwise.

It was very nice of you to get back to me, thanks again.

TCP

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 11:04:14 pm »

please ask questions on a particular mod as a reply to the thread that deals with the mod.

TruCaliberPimp

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 11:33:06 pm »

Sorry GauGau, I was including the info from the link Nibbler posted. Tryin' to be helpful, happy to comply in future. :)

TCP
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 15 queries.