Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting started with Coppermine, the basics.  (Read 18432 times)

Hysteria86

• Coppermine novice
Getting started with Coppermine, the basics.
« on: September 09, 2005, 07:31:37 pm »

I'm probably going to sound like a complete idiot asking what I am going to, but I've been struggling with this for a while now and hope someone has been in the same boat as me.

I do not currently have a MySQL database set up for Coppermine, mainly because I have been looking for a free available one over the internet (I know free ones are less reliable and harder to come by, but I can't afford webspace at the minute) but have not had much success (I've signed up to a couple, but they will never connect to the FTP program). Does anyone use a free MySQL database that they found on the net? and if so could they point me in the right direction?

Also, with regards to uploading Coppermine, which program is best to use? (I've not had a lot of experience using FTP and all that, I'm currently trying out WS_FTP Home and CuteFTP that were recommended, but neither of these will connect, making me think it's a problem with the MySQL host).

I'm aware that I sound like a total retard, but I'm trying to get my head around this and if you can bear with me I would be very grateful. Has anyone else been in the same situation? if so, where did you find a reliable MySQL database to set up?

Thanks  :-\\
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 06:51:22 pm by Hysteria86 »

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • evj art and photography
Re: Using MySQL/FTP for Coppermine .... getting started and all.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 08:34:27 pm »

Hysteria,

Hi. 
Are you trying to set up a local server on your computer? You don't need  MySql if you are going to set up on a remote server. The remote server would have that already installed. 

If you are planning to install a local server on your own computer to work with coppermine before actually putting your site online, then the simplest approach for the unfamiliar would be to search for XAMMP.  Download the self-installing version appropriate to your operating system.  Run MyPHPadmin on it and create a database. Copy your coppermine folder into the htdocs directory in XAMMP. Then install CPGl i.e. "http://localhost/CoppermineFoldername/install.php"   
(Note: Uploading your finished CPG to a remote server will ultimately involve creating your own update.sql file to export all the changes to your completed gallery. )

If you prefer to work on it on a remote server you may want to check these listings: http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=5721.0    Setup is the same.  You will need to create a blank database, copy your CPG files into the appropriate folder as instructed by your webhost and run CPG's install.php.   ie.  http://Http://www.yournewurl.com/install.php

Hope this helped.

Dennis
(Oh yeah, insofar as FTP programs are concerned either one is good.  I use Smart FTP on one machine, WS_FTP on another.  It's really just an interface choice.  Try several, then select the one that you are most comfortable using.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 08:42:14 pm by madeinhawaii »
Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

Hysteria86

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 10:02:10 pm »

Yeah I've been taking the remote server approach, that thread link has helped, just waiting to see if I can find an FTP program that will actually connect to the webhost now.

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 10:29:17 pm »

, just waiting to see if I can find an FTP program that will actually connect to the webhost now.

Ah! Well that would help. ;)  It's been a while since I set up my FTP's but I believe one of the common errors is to set the User ID and password to the coppermine User ID and Password.  It should be the User ID and Password used with your Web server.   

Good luck.

Dennis
Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

Hysteria86

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 10:48:22 pm »

Yeah I can't get WS_FTP to work whatsoever.

CuteFTP doesn't show an error message but it is continuously attempting to establish a connection but doesn't get anywhere (keeps retrying). I've tried this with two different hosts that I've signed up to and the same thing happens.

I'll get there soon. I hope.  :-\\

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 10:54:05 pm »

Woah not good, huh?

Have you tried typing in ftp://yourwebsite.com   in your browser, not using a 3rd part ftp engine, and entering your password and user id just to see if you can get in? Slower than a snail on an oiled leaf, but it should get you in to do some basic work.

Also, I believe Ws_ftp and cute use mulitple threads,  sessions, or whatever they call it to make mulitiple connections to your site to speed up the upload/download process.  Try limiting these to 1 or two.

Dennis

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 12:21:27 pm »

You don't use an FTP app to connect to a mysql server - it's a database, you know! You just enter the mysql data into coppermine's config file during install and that's about it.

Warning: it's not recommended at all that you try self-hosting with so little expertise!

Hysteria86

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 12:58:37 pm »

Yeah I'm just trying to learn it.

Was hoping someone else has tried to set it up from my point of view.

All I've done so far is downloaded and unzipped the Coppermine file. What should I be doing next? (I've not had success creating or finding a MySQL database for free, that's what I'm having the main trouble with).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 06:53:26 pm by Hysteria86 »

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2005, 08:56:53 pm »

What should I be doing next? (I've not had success creating or finding a MySQL database for free, that's what I'm having the main trouble with).

Did you sign up with webhost service? 

If you did, you should be able to access the "phpMyAdmin" from the administrative page of your new site. Use "phpMyAdmin" to create a new database. Just give the database a name, don't add any tables.  The database that is created is the beginnings of your MySQL database. When you run the install setup of coppermine, Coppermine will add the necessary tables and entries into this database where it will store the data it needs to operate your gallery.

Chances are you will not be able to see any database file you create as these are safely tucked away somewhere else in your hosting services system.   You can, however, browse the data in the file using phpMyAdmin.

Upload your coppermine files to whatever folder your hosting service instructs you to use (usually http://yourwebsite.com/public_html/) and follow the installation instructions for coppermine.

Dennis

Hysteria86

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2005, 09:38:57 pm »

What should I be doing next? (I've not had success creating or finding a MySQL database for free, that's what I'm having the main trouble with).

Did you sign up with webhost service?   

I've been looking but have not had much success so far. Does anyone know of any decent, reliable (free) ones?

Apologies, I'm really new to this but really intent on learning it.  :-\\

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: Getting started with Coppermine, the basics.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 09:44:28 pm »

Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Hysteria86

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 10:01:21 pm »

Ok, I've created the Database, hopefully with success this time, I have the following from my webhost:

The MySQL database has been successfully created for your account.
MySQL DataBase name: 1031
MySQL DataBase login username: 1031
MySQL DataBase login password: The same as for FTP and account manager
MySQL DataBase hostname: localhost
To admin your database please go to: phpMyAdmin using your MySQL username and password

Do I now go to the FTP program and upload it?

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2005, 10:03:09 pm »

Upload all of the files with your FTP client and run the install.php file.  Please read the documentation that comes with Coppermine before going any further.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

Hysteria86

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 10:14:09 pm »

Can anyone recommend a good FTP client to download?

I can't get WS_FTP to work at all.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 10:16:45 pm »

I use TurboFTP - an excellent FTP client.  30 day fully functional trial.

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2005, 10:23:31 pm »

You may want to try SmartFTP.
It's free.
http://www.smartftp.com/

Good luck!  Don't be discouraged.  I was where you are today, just 6 weeks ago.

Dennis

Hysteria86

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005, 10:25:58 pm »

For some reason it's saying my password is incorrect, so it won't connect.

I've just enquired and received an e-mail of my account data from the host:

Your Personal MySQL Information
    MySQL DataBase
   MySQL HostName
      localhost

MySQL UserName
      The same as for FTP

SmartFTP message I got....

SmartFTP v1.5.990.2
    Resolving host name "pinoybabes.com"
    Connecting to 205.209.152.84 Port: 21
    Connected to pinoybabes.com.
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd ----------
220-You are user number 1 of 50 allowed.
220-Local time is now 04:30. Server port: 21.
220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
    USER 1031
331 User 1031 OK. Password required
    PASS (hidden)
530 Authentication failed, sorry
    Active Help: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php/51
    QUIT
221-Goodbye. You uploaded 0 and downloaded 0 kbytes.
221 Logout.
    Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...
    Server closed connection

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005, 10:30:46 pm »

Verify all of your names and passwords are correct.  Read this post and do what it says.  Report back with your results.

After I posted this, I see you edited your previous post.  You don't put in your MySQL information in your FTP client - use your FTP connection information.

Hysteria86

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 10:44:34 pm »

Ok it's connected and seems to be uploading. Is it normal for it to take quite a while?

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2005, 10:57:51 pm »

If it looks like it's uploading... it should display somewhere on smartftp ... xx kbs / sec .   The speed of the upload depends really on the speed of your hosting service.  A really busy server may upload slower or faster depending on the time of day.

Dennis

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.