Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Coppermine the program I need?  (Read 4166 times)

Squidmaster

• Coppermine newbie
Is Coppermine the program I need?
« on: September 12, 2004, 11:53:06 pm »

I'm working on a comprehensive extended-family webpage, and I want family members to be able to upload pictures they have taken or had scanned without knowing much if anything about file sizes or uploading in general.  I've read through the Coppermine features, but I can't find information regarding image optimization upon upload.  The key feature I need is for users to be able to dump their 5 megapixel camera pics in without caring if they're huge, and have them reduced accordingly en-route to the server before they're saved so they don't take up a ton of webspace.

Is this a feature supported by Coppermine?

Thanks all.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 12:44:20 pm by GauGau »

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: Is Coppermine the program I need?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 12:12:29 am »

The current version doesn't support automatic image resizing, but the next version will.  You can take a look at the alpha builds of 1.4.0 by clicking on the Project link at the top of this page - but bear in mind there is no support for this at all.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 12:15:06 am »

at the moment the only thing that will do this is using the xp_publish facility.  This of course needs the user to be using windoze xp.

If they do, tell them to browse to www.yoursite.com/copermine/xp_publish.php and follow the instructions.  This allows them to resize all the images to set sizes.

It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

Squidmaster

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 01:44:18 am »

Thanks.  I'll have to check around further then.

Anti Turmoil

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 12:06:38 pm »

at the moment the only thing that will do this is using the xp_publish facility.  This of course needs the user to be using windoze xp.

If they do, tell them to browse to www.yoursite.com/copermine/xp_publish.php and follow the instructions.  This allows them to resize all the images to set sizes.

wow!!! That solved a lot of problems for my members, cheers!!!

cryogenic

• Tester
  • Coppermine regular visitor
    • the cynic says...
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 09:39:58 am »

XP Publish is wonderful for the inexperienced user. I don't use it myself, but I toyed with it to see how it worked and it seemed to work pretty well. Seems that it's an overlooked feature.

Paulo

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 10:35:32 pm »

Ah, you lost me there, I've been thinking to get Coppermine. Have large raw digital photos, a web site, with php, and WXP here at home. In looking at my XP publish app how does this URL path www.yoursite.com/copermine/xp_publish.php work? Are you saying to FTP the XP Publish app to the web site? Please explain this to me, as I am still in the newbie stage. Thanks so much, Paulo

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 10:58:41 pm »

Hi Paolo,

no, the xp-publish is a facility to allow your users to upload multiple files to the gallery in one go, and since we added this ability for all users now, is not so important.

You, as the gallery owner, should use ftp to upload your pics, into a directory set up you create in the albums folder in the coppermine directory.

Raw files are not suitablefor upload to the web, as neither IM nor GD can deal with them, and as far as I know, no browser will display them.  You need to use your desktop app to create jpeg or png copies for use on the web.

Once you have coppermine installed, your users can browse to ...../xp_publish.php and will receive a registry file and instructions of how to use it, simply by following the xp wizard.  They can then use windows xp to publish files directly to your site.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.