Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a "Smart" sorting-by-name mod? Or is something wrong?  (Read 2564 times)

PaulieWalnuts20

• Coppermine newbie
Is there a "Smart" sorting-by-name mod? Or is something wrong?
« on: September 03, 2004, 09:25:03 am »

I renamed my files this way - "Dom2004 (1).jpg", "Dom2004 (2).jpg", and so on. I have 135 pictures in the album and I will be adding 20-50 pictures per month.

I sort the album by name because sorting the album by date results in improper placement in the timeline of the pictures (I understand that custom sorting will be available in CPG v1.4 - I anxiously await that release!). However, when I sort the album by name the order shows up this way - "Dom2004 (1).jpg", "Dom2004 (10).jpg", "Dom2004 (100).jpg", "Dom2004 (2).jpg", "Dom2004 (3).jpg", and so on.

Now, I can almost swear that I remember my files sorting by name properly when I tested out CPG. I could be wrong, maybe it always sorted like it does now. I am writing this to ask those of you who might know if CPG sorts by name "smartly" (by that I mean it sorts this way - (1), (2), .... (9), (10), (11)..) or does it sort by name dumb (by that I mean it sorts this way - (1), (10), (100), (2), (3)..)

So my question is this -

- If CPG normally sorts by name dumb, then I need to know if there is a mod to help CPG sort by name "smartly".

- If CPG normally sorts by name "smartly", then I need to know what is wrong with my website and how I can return it to normal.

Here's my site. No need to register.
www.cutebabydom.com

Thank you so much for your time and courtesy!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Is there a "Smart" sorting-by-name mod? Or is something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 11:19:52 am »

This is not a very good naming scheme for four reasons:
1) avoid capitalization
2) avoid spaces
3) avoid all special chars except the web-save _ and -
4) Computers are stupid, add leading zeros to your numbers

Sorting didn't work differently on older coppermine versions, I'm sure you had set up the names differently in the past if it used to work for you.
I recommend naming the pics "dom2004_001.jpg", "dom2004_002.jpg", "dom2004_003.jpg" ... "dom2004_101.jpg". This scheme will give you room for up to 1000 pics per album, which should be more than enough.

Joachim

amiNuscule

• Contributor
  • Coppermine newbie
Re: Is there a "Smart" sorting-by-name mod? Or is something wrong?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 06:51:28 am »

If you're looking for 'manual' pics sorting, you can have a look at this hack :
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=14793.0

I hope it helps... Cheers'
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 19 queries.