Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 15 minutes to view the Users account why?  (Read 9455 times)

Cyberpawz

• Coppermine frequent poster
15 minutes to view the Users account why?
« on: April 26, 2004, 12:16:17 am »

It takes between 15 minutes to 1/2 an hr (if at all) for me to view and "edit" the users on the coppermine gallery...

This is not just getting annoying, but down right impossible to work with in a timely matter.

I am using OS X, Apache2, and everything else up to date...

I have 20 other databases built on the server, and with much more complex details in them, yet this database is the slowest accessed either via the internet or Localhost.  I can't even access the database when I am using phpmyadmin either...

I know the database works because people can register, and I can view it through a 3rd party program, but it won't let me fix anything.

Any idea of why this may be happening?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 06:55:18 am by Cyberpawz »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: 15 minutes to view the Users account why?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 12:39:54 am »

link?

GauGau

Cyberpawz

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 08:05:56 am »

your server is unreachable for me, the browser times out. The ping takes very long. Just a guess: you are self-hosted, aren't you?
My first "suspect" is an improper server setup. I'm not sure what else to say. Coppermine runs on thousands of servers worldwide without the issues you describe, so I guess it's no coincidence that your server's slow and your connections to the db as well.

GauGau

Cyberpawz

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 03:26:38 pm »

Try again, the server I was using was disconnected from the network (actually the entire network went down due to a thunder storm)

In any case, I may be self hosted, but I am a network admin, with over 5 yrs of experience, and have dealt with networks that are well over 10,000 computers in size. My home network is self built and trust me if it goes down I know why the instant it does...

My connection that I use is 2.6mpbs in and out... so there is no excuse why this should take so long...

And to throw that the reason I am slow to access because I am self hosted is really a bad excuse, when I attempt to http://localhost/coppermine  and click on users the same thing happens, so it's not just me here... for if the intranet is as slow as the internet then there is something wrong.

*edit* The beta loads the list fine.  It's Coppermine 1.2.x
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 04:36:22 pm by Cyberpawz »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 05:11:36 pm »

is your issue solved then? Apparently you're using the 1.3.0 beta now live. Case closed?

GauGau

Cyberpawz

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 05:25:48 pm »

For now yes, but I'd really like to know why the 1.2.x can't view the user account while a beta can... it seems that something is a little different... what I'd like to know.

Cyberpawz

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 07:01:52 am »

Ok, the Coppermine 1.3 fixed the issue, but one problem with the entire scenario.  I could not upload a picture, nor could anyone else, to the usefulness of Coppermine 1.3 was extremely limited on a live setting.

So, any suggestions, since we know 1.3 allows me to view the users, and 1.2 does not. or does when it feels like it, or mostly times out, this makes me think that the code in some way is causing an issue.  For I don't know what it is, but it almost sounds like the 1.2 code has a limitation of how many users can register.  I have over 160 users on this site, that use this program.  And I can't edit their accounts unless it's through a 3rd party program, and even this it is very, very limited...

So any suggestions, or fixes?

As for saying that since I host it myself might cause the problem that is hogwash, for when I attempt to go through the localhost (which means I never touch the net) the list still times out.  So this tells me that it is more that network.  For I have a Dual 1.25 G4, with 2GB of ram, and More than a Terabyte of HD space. And I can access all other databases which many are much more complex and have much more users on them in 1/100th of the time...

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 07:25:48 am »

1) only one question per thread
2) read the stickies on the cpg1.3.0testing/bugs board

GauGau

P.S. Locking this thread now, since there's no support for cpg1.3.0beta yet anyway.

hyperion

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
  • - retired -
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2004, 07:35:57 am »

Look, there are other users of Coppermine who have two or three thousand users who do not have this problem.  As a server admin, you know that every server is different.  I think I encountered this problem before with another user, and one solution was to take the usermgr.php file from the 1.1 package and overwrite the one in 1.2.  It worked, but there was no difference between the two files. 

1.3 is beta, so you have to read the topics to fix these bugs.  I am responsible for the upload bug, so believe me when I tell you the bug is well documented and easily fixed. The only difference in usermgr.php in 1.3 is the addition of the memberlist code.  You can see it yourself by doing a diff on the two in the WebCVS. If you should happen to discover what is causing the problem for you, please let us know so that we can make the appropriate adjustments. Also do a search for a post by Oasis about a similar problem that happened when they had more than 1000 user albums and were trying to edit the user album properties.  Oasis made some minor adjustments to the code to fix the issue. Perhaps that will give you a lead.

As for saying that since I host it myself might cause the problem that is hogwash, for when I attempt to go through the localhost (which means I never touch the net) the list still times out.  So this tells me that it is more that network.  For I have a Dual 1.25 G4, with 2GB of ram, and More than a Terabyte of HD space. And I can access all other databases which many are much more complex and have much more users on them in 1/100th of the time...

Having such a system makes me believe that you have enough knowledge to determine the cause and report it as a bug, so please do so.  As we state in our forum guide, we cannot troubleshoot problems we cannot reproduce.

"Then, Fletch," that bright creature said to him, and the voice was very kind, "let's begin with level flight . . . ."

-Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull

(http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/buttons/getfirefox_small.png)

another_angel

• Coppermine novice
    • Team Skarsgård
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 05:18:59 pm »

I am currently having this exact same issue with my gallery, which is running v 1.3.1 of CPG
I am not self hosted, and I have about 1,300 members in my gallery.  The link:

http://www.keanufan.com/coppermine

A friend of mine with a similar gallery, running the exact same version of CPG (I know because I installed) is not having this problem.  Her site:

http://www.drool.club-keanu.com

Additionally, both our web sites are hosted on the exact same server, which is a Unix server, running the latest verion of PHP.

I tried reloading the 1.3.1 usermgr.php file to my coppermine directory, but to no avail.  Is there another version of the usermgr.php file that might work better for me?
~AA~

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2004, 05:23:06 pm »

You can try upgrading to 1.3.2, or uploading usermgr.php from the 1.3.2 package.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

another_angel

• Coppermine novice
    • Team Skarsgård
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2004, 05:46:18 pm »

You can try upgrading to 1.3.2, or uploading usermgr.php from the 1.3.2 package.

Done, and still no change.

Can someone from the CPG guru team log in to my gallery as admin and tell me if this is really a problem, or if I'm just insane?  Will PM or email my login info.
~A~

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2004, 06:01:17 pm »

Send me your info and I'll take a look.  Also send me your phpmyadmin login info so I can take a look at your Coppermine tables.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

another_angel

• Coppermine novice
    • Team Skarsgård
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2004, 06:34:00 pm »

Send me your info and I'll take a look.  Also send me your phpmyadmin login info so I can take a look at your Coppermine tables.

Login and phpmyadmin info sent via private message.  Thanks in advance for your help.
~AA~

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2004, 06:40:15 pm »

Do you have the phpbb bridge enabled?

another_angel

• Coppermine novice
    • Team Skarsgård
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2004, 06:46:38 pm »

Do you have the phpbb bridge enabled?

No, not that I am aware of.
~A~

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2004, 06:51:47 pm »

I need the link to your phpmyadmin and also your your control panel (and the username/password if it's different from the one you already sent).

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2004, 07:34:02 pm »

I don't see any problems with your setup.  It may be that you need to optimize your Coppermine tables, since all deletes from a table are kept around, even if you don't see them.  The basic syntax is OPTIMIZE TABLE [tbl_name].

So, in phpmyadmin, go to the SQL tab and enter this:

OPTIMIZE TABLE cpg130_users, cpg130_pictures, cpg130_usergroups;

You can also do a repair on your phpbb1 db.  There's nothing wrong that I can see, but it might do something.

Make sure to back up your db before you do any mods to it.

If that doesn't help, tell your host the problems you are having and they may be able to do something for you.

another_angel

• Coppermine novice
    • Team Skarsgård
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2004, 08:23:25 pm »

I don't see any problems with your setup.  It may be that you need to optimize your Coppermine tables, since all deletes from a table are kept around, even if you don't see them.  The basic syntax is OPTIMIZE TABLE [tbl_name].

If that doesn't help, tell your host the problems you are having and they may be able to do something for you.

Did the optimize and repair, even went ahead and upgraded to the 1.3.2 release of CPG, just in case, and the user database is still slow as Christmas.  Here's the thing that frustrates me....

My friend, who runs the similar gallery, had version 1.2, and her user list had this same problem.  However, when I upgraded her version to 1.3.1, the problem went away.

I started with version 1.3.1, and did not have this problem until recently (when my site suddenly got popular and I had about 1,000 members join in about a week.)

Does anyone else have any suggestions?  I hate to say it, but I'm smarter than the guy that does my hosting, so I'm afraid he's going to be useless to me....
~AA~
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.