Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I added watermarking, PayPal and much more to CPG. Can I do this?  (Read 4691 times)

gpl_gnu

• Coppermine newbie
I added watermarking, PayPal and much more to CPG. Can I do this?
« on: September 02, 2004, 07:42:17 am »

I have made substantial additions to CPG that really bring it to the next level.  Such as admin configurable watermarking, advanced photo ordering, multimedia extras, support for 2checkout, WorldPay, Authorize.net & PayPal subscription service, full template implementaion, mod-rewrite for search-engine optimization, etc.  Can I distribute/sell it on my own website?

Thanks,

:)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: I added watermarking, PayPal and much more to CPG. Can I do this?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 07:57:40 am »

GNU GPL allows you to modify code and distribute it as well (paid or unpaid) , as long as you make the sources themselves available (i.e. unmodified coppermine). Don't strip the reference to coppermine from your code, and don't remove/obstruct the "Powered by Coppermine" footer though.
For details on what you're allowed to do and what not, check the GNU GPL at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html and/or http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php
There is often a misconception, where users don't understand that the in the open-source concept, the word "free" in "free software" is meant as in "freedom of speech", not "free beer". There are other companies who make a living out of software released under GPL (e.g. IBM, RedHat etc.), so generally speaking there's no reason why you shouldn't try to do so.

However, watermarking, PayPal integration and most of the other things you mention are available as free mods for Coppermine, so I can see little point in trying to sell your modifications. We're currently working on a plugin API that will enable users to apply all sorts of mods by just enabling them in a plugin manager within the coppermine user interface, making modifications that won't go into the coppermine core code dead easy. The next version of coppermine will even be shipping with some of those plugins, users will just have to enable them with one or two clicks.

Please make sure to refer to coppermine.sf.net if you decide to sell your modifications, but please also make sure that your possible future customers understand that this board is not the place to look for support on hacks/add-ons you provide. Please make sure that the mods you coded have actually been done by you entirely and have not been ripped from the mods available on this board.

Joachim
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 08:13:03 am by GauGau »

bmcg

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 10:04:59 pm »

Hi,
I would very much be interested in those additions.  How can I get them.  I tried following directions on watermarking, and it just has not worked for me.
Thanks!

PCGUY112887

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 05:58:07 am »

About the only thing you could really "Sell" would be the service of modifying the gallery for the users needs... and maybe installing it for them.  Yet you would still need to keep it open source and not remove the copyright as said above.

gpl_gnu

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 05:00:25 pm »

About the only thing you could really "Sell" would be the service of modifying the gallery for the users needs... and maybe installing it for them.  Yet you would still need to keep it open source and not remove the copyright as said above.

With all due respect, this is a limited view.  One could sell a range of services for cpg: installation/setup, modification, troubleshooting, tech support, maintenance, removal...just to name a very few.

gpl_gnu

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 05:09:34 pm »

Hi,
I would very much be interested in those additions.  How can I get them.  I tried following directions on watermarking, and it just has not worked for me.
Thanks!

Based on GauGau's response right above your own, all these additions are available somewhere here on this site.  A search through the forums will likely turn up a good handful of people who can assist you with this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.