Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stop Leechers, how?  (Read 3742 times)

Extreme

• Coppermine newbie
Stop Leechers, how?
« on: November 14, 2004, 02:43:46 pm »

I made a reply in another thread which was totally wrong so I'll better explain here what I need help with.

What I need, a solution to prevent leechers that uses softwares such as Teleport Pro, WebStripper etc. to grab the whole site... If anyone has tips on how to take care of it, please let me know cause it's a real cpu/mem killer when they grab the whole site.

TranzNDance, you aksed me a question -> Did you try the instructions/code?

Dunno exactly what you mean mate... I have read the 1.3.0 FAQ, but couldn't find anything that solves this problem of mine.

Thanks in advance.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Stop Leechers, how?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 02:58:17 pm »

Option 1: require every visitor to register
Option 2: "real" anti-leeching requires changes on your webserver (usually apache), not in coppermine. Make sure not to ban search engines from your site with this technique, just disallow download/indexing of pics/multimedia content.

This question has been discussed on many other threads all around the internet - there's no real leech-proof site unless you set up means to restrict access for the general public (meaning: authentification) imo.

Joachim

Extreme

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Stop Leechers, how?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 03:22:35 pm »

Thanks for the reply Joachim,

I know that I have to change some things in Apache but I dunno how to. I've searched the net and read a whole lot of articles about it but unfortunally I'm not the biggest Apache guru around. So that will be my question, how do I do it? I have a .htaccess file in my albums folder which only restrict hotlinking (it works), but this... I'm speachless how to deal with it.

So if you or anyone else could guide me step by step through it, that would be appreciated indeed. If no, well thanks for the reply anyway.  :-\\

I'm running CPG on a windows server btw with PHP 5.0.1, Apache 2.0.50. This is how my .htaccess file looks like atm:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(www\.)?xxxxxxxxx.nu(/).*$ [NC]
RewriteRule .*\.(jpg|jpeg)$ http://xxxxxxxxx.nu/nohotlink.gif [R,NC]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.