Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photopost Importing?  (Read 11057 times)

Deejay23

• Coppermine newbie
Photopost Importing?
« on: August 26, 2004, 09:38:54 am »

I have finally had it with Photopost and their nickle and diming, and was told about this software. It really does look simply awesome, and I like the way this software and site is run.

I was wondering if there has been thought to making it work with the ubbthreads forum software users info? Or if anyone has gone even farther and done some stuff with integration to ubbthreads?

There are 100's (or more) people stuck with photopost, and I think this software would be an awesome alternative, if not a complete replacement for those of us (like me) who are sick of photopost.

One more thing... Wondering if there would be a way to import or move an existing photopost gallery into coppermine? Ive got TONS of photos in my gallery already from myself and all my users that I just can't give up, or re-upload...

Hopefully I can switch!

Deej
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 08:08:19 am by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: UBBThreads User/Forum Integration
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 10:48:23 am »

Take a look at the bridge files that come with coppermine for integration of other bbs apps. You should be able to modify such a bridge file to fit your needs (read: work with your bbs). Please share your hack then.
There has been a discussion about a photopost converter a while ago, not sure though anyone actually coded one. Please search the board for "photopost".

Joachim

Deejay23

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 09:36:28 pm »

If this isn't related, please split.

thanks

Umm, ya, i think this actually has nothing to do with what we were talking about here. ;)

Deej

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 10:47:11 pm »

split unrelated posting to a separate thread: http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=9370.0

Joachim

Nitro

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 03:19:44 pm »

I have the same question and I see it wasn't specifically answered.

Is there an integration solution between Coppermine and Infopop's UBB Threads?

The most basic integration I would want is common aliases and same passwords, simultaneous logins etc between the forums and photo forums.

Thanks.

Nibbler

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 03:24:59 pm »

Seeing as it costs over $200 to purchase, a bridge would have to made by someone in the UBB Threads community.

TheDaddy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 02:37:45 pm »

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but I have UBB Threads and have just installed Coppermine.

In my database I have 2 user tables

prefix_Users for UBB Threads &
prefix_users for Coppermine

Can I change the code to only use prefix_Users for Coppermine? If so, how do I get to it?

TIA :)

TheDaddy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 02:48:55 pm »

I have looked at this again and I don't think that would work.

But, would a little SQL Command that I could run everyday to copy from Users table to users table work?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 09:53:56 am »

create a bridge file that does the integration. This has been requested before, not sure if someone has come up with a solution. There are thousands of apps users request coppermine to be bridged with, we (the coppermine dev team) can't create the bridge files for all those apps, we have to rely on user contributions.

Joachim

Deejay23

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 05:19:37 am »

Amusing thing just happened to me...

I was P.O'd that i had JUST purchased yet ANOTHER license for photopost (for the same site i had paid a license for already! Crazy)... and was searching ubbdev, found this site, searched for "import photopost" and found this post I made a couple years ago.

Too funny.

This thread has seemed to float away from the original question.. Specifically, is it possible to import my PHOTOPOST data and pictures into this software... Not about integration with threads (BUT, I would also want too... lol)

So, i see nothing has been done yet? At least nothing that came up in the search, except one or two others who also want the same thing...

I pose this question to you, the admins and programmers of this fine gallery software i want to use:

Now... I know this software is basicially open source or free, and you rely on donations...I commend you guys big time. I would hope you do get them for this software... I know it wouldnt probably be a fortune as people don't usually donate huge amounts (I've been on the net much longer than i needed to be to notice that it's human nature to be cheap on the net.).. But you still do get them none-the less... And anything helps to motivate the constant bugfixing, programming and late nights...

So why not then try to attract switchers, broaden your user base to people who are pissed off by other software out there and who would probably shell out the cost of a license to photopost for your research, or at the least dontate the eqivalent amount of a photopost renewal license to the cause in return for your script and the ability to get away from photopost?

Even if not everyone did donate, MORE would because you would simply have more of a following and usership... for some reason, photopost is quite popular. Users are are attached to it because they can't get away from it... Not that they Necessarily like it!

And if you are thinking, "Well, would this  guy put up the cash for the photopost? (It was 129 bucks for my renewal yesterday.) I would answer back.... If you guys need that to actually make this wish a reality and will then in fact make it a reality, i would be very happy to dontate. And i think others would too...

Now, i did do a search for this on the site before posting here, so as far as i can see, there was no other updates to this topic... Hope i didnt miss anything, but if not, i would like to know if there are any plans, or if this post or my help might help the cause?

Free the Photopost Users!

Paver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Paul V.
Re: Photopost Importing?
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 06:13:52 am »

@Deejay23: First of all, Coppermine does not accept donations.  Please read this thread for more information about how users can contribute to Coppermine: "We need your help".  All work by the dev team is contributed to the project for free.

As Nibbler and GauGau already mentioned in this thread, the Coppermine dev team relies on user contributions for forum bridges and converters, especially for software that is not free.  I, for one, would not purchase a piece of software merely for creating a bridge or converter to Coppermine (the software I do use).  You might consider soliciting paid help on the Freelancer board for creating such a bridge or converter, presumably purchasing such a license for the freelancer or giving admin access to your personal forum/gallery.

JamRob

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 07:42:31 pm »

We have no problem with Photo Post other then their price.

JamRob

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 07:47:06 pm »

Also it may be tuff to find a way to import or move an existing photopost gallery into coppermine. but their must be a way because Photo Post has a way to import or move an existing coppermine gallery to Photo Post. So their must be a way to import or move an existing photopost gallery into coppermine.

Nibbler

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 08:30:29 pm »

I'm sure there is a way, however without access to the software there is nothing that can be done.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 08:07:01 am »

In fact there are 4 web photo galleries that are worth mentioning: 3 of them are free (Menalto Gallery, 4images & Coppermine), one is not free (Photopost). All of those apps have particular features the "competitors" don't have. All of them have some potential. However, the "competition" between those apps doesn't mean that we have to provide importers to make potential coppermine "converts" switch to Coppermine: we don't gain one penny if a user stops using Photopost and uses Coppermine instead. We have no hard feelings against the Photopost staff (nor against the developers of the "competing" free apps). It's simply not important for the coppermine devs to have such an importer, even if we got the needed Photopost sources (or at least a dump) for free. We better spend our time and skills improving coppermine instead of trying to figure out an importer.
As a reminder: this is the "feature requests" board, where requests for features in future coppermine versions can be posted. It's up to the devs if we're actually going to look into the requests. The request "create a Photopost importer" has been turned down, there's no use that people keep on replying to this thread, saying "but I could use the importer badly". We won't create it. If you want to switch from Photopost to Coppermine, go ahead - you're welcome to create the importer yourself or start from scratch. That's it.

Joachim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.