Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intro paragraph in category/gallery view, and full text in gallery/index page  (Read 4483 times)

davidshook

• Coppermine newbie

I was not sure if I shoud post this in the feture request or as a question here...

I would like to have my gallery description text as follows:
A short description in the category/gallery view. Than, when the user enters the gallery thumbnail view, there will be an area where the full gallery description is shown.

again, just to clarify:
Category >> galery 1 : short description 1
                     galery 2 : short description 2

galery thumnails view 1: full description of the gallery contents in a                 column next to (or above) the thumnails.
                            galery thumnails view 2: Full description of the gallery content...

One of the problems I am having is that if my gallery description is too long than it ruins the gallery/category index page. That's why I am looking for a way to have a short introductory text in the gallery view.

Next is that when the user enters the thumbnail view, they don't know anything about the gallery they are in. Sure, they can see the pictures, but in my case, without a description of the gallery, the pictures are useless. Therefore, I need a more complete description of the gallery in the thumbnail view (I could place the description in the picture comment area, however, that would be too much to include for each picture).

Here is a working example:
I have a category dealing with travel in the Middle East. The category has in it a gallery for each country in the Middle East.
I would like to have a bunch of associated text, links to articles, links to videos, etc... within the thumbnail view.

So when the user arrives at the category level he/she see a short description of every gallery ( a very short description of the country). Than, when the user enters the gallery thumbnail view, they get to see a full description about that country.

I am posting this here because I was assuming someone may have come up with a way to do this, rather than me asking for that functionality to be installed into the coppermin.
I have a very limited understanding of PHP/mysql and may be able to follow an explanation on how to do this.

I would greatly appraciate any help, since until now I have been using static pages and doing this manually. However, this is very tedious and inefficient.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

Take a look at Rodinous hack for scrollable text - maybe this is what you're looking for: http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=550.0

GauGau

davidshook

• Coppermine newbie

Thanks for such a quick reply!

Although this is not exactly what I was looking for, it is definitly on the right trac- and probably even better. (what I wanted initially was just an intro paragraph instead of the whole text in one chunk at the category/album views).
Took me a while to find the exact place to put the div tags however, but it did make the category/album list look better.

Now, I just need a way to have this same text show up somewhere (such as above or in a column next to the thumbnails)  in the thumbnail view.

Just an advice: I looked for a php photgallery script that can do this for a while and could not find one. In my openion (as little as it worth) if you were to incorporate this it would defently place you apart from many of the photogalleries out there.

davidshook

• Coppermine newbie

Do you have any suggestions about how to place the album's description in the thumbnail view page?

Tarique Sani

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • http://tariquesani.net

Myself and Aditya are working on this - the thing we are trying to avoid it the need to change code in every theme....

You can see a demo at http://www.sanisoft-demo.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=1
SANIsoft PHP applications for E Biz

davidshook

• Coppermine newbie

I just looked at the demo page you provided. But, I can't see any gallery description in the thumbnail view.

In the mean time, any recommendation about how I can do it myself?

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.