Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video doesn't work in other browser then IE  (Read 15532 times)

ryanrlamothe

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Video doesn't work in other browser then IE
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2005, 02:57:37 pm »

This is a BUG whether the developers like it or not.  If I had more time I would love to help you out, but right now I do not.  I have a brand new installation of Coppermine 1.3.2.  Videos will not play in Mozilla 1.7.3, Opera 7.54, or Firefox 1.0.  The videos play perfectly in Internet Explorer.  This has been tested on numerous computers on numerous different platforms including Windows, Linux, and Mac OS 9.2/X.  All of the browsers simply display the 'missing plugin' page.

And on a side note, an AVI is a file container, not an uncompressed video format.  An AVI file container has no direct relation to the video inside of it.  An AVI file container can contain any form of uncompressed/compressed video.  This is exactly the same as Quicktime MOV file containers.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2005, 06:31:22 pm »

And on a side note, an AVI is a file container, not an uncompressed video format.  An AVI file container has no direct relation to the video inside of it.  An AVI file container can contain any form of uncompressed/compressed video.  This is exactly the same as Quicktime MOV file containers.
Right, nobody doubted this afaik.

This is a BUG whether the developers like it or not.  If I had more time I would love to help you out, but right now I do not.  I have a brand new installation of Coppermine 1.3.2.  Videos will not play in Mozilla 1.7.3, Opera 7.54, or Firefox 1.0.  The videos play perfectly in Internet Explorer.  This has been tested on numerous computers on numerous different platforms including Windows, Linux, and Mac OS 9.2/X.  All of the browsers simply display the 'missing plugin' page.
Wrong: how should a server-sided application be to blame if a client-sided app doesn't have what it takes to display multimedia? By definition, a www-browser is meant to capable of reading and displaying HTML, JavaScript, CSS and some graphic formats (like jpeg, gif and to limited extent png). If you want it to display other content (e.g. a flash file), you need a flash player installed on your OS and your browser has to "know" about the installed flash player. The same thing applies to any other multimedia content.
You should be more carefull when shouting out loud "BUG!": you have to make sure you have understood the basic principles behind server applications and client software, and the interdependancies between OS, browser, third-party software and plugins.
I am very well capable to display multimedia content using an "out-of-the-box" version of Firefox (I never install plugins on the box I use for development), so you have to ask yourself what kind of multimedia content you were trying to display; after all you probably have given yourself the answer already: avi files (along with several other multimedia file formats) are just containers; a codec has to reside on the client to enable it to play the multimedia file...

However, I would like to hear what makes you think that this is a "bug" in coppermine, and what you would be changing in the code then to remove the bug.

Joachim

ryanrlamothe

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2005, 06:40:47 pm »

Wrong:  I have other multimedia galleries working just fine "out of the box" on all of the tested machines with all plug-ins properly installed.  I installed Coppermine 1.3.2 last week "out of the box" and the non-photo files do not work.  That is a bug in Coppermine.  Would you like me to clarify that for you any further?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2005, 06:44:09 pm »

yes please, post deep links to the same files within coppermine and the other app, so we can check.

Joachim

ryanrlamothe

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2005, 07:04:52 pm »

Coppermine is the only photo gallery I have available to the public.  In your case, to test other publically available non-Coppermine websites, it is simple enough to go to any website such as www.apple.com, www.cnn.com, etc. which contains embedded video and audio.  As a developer, logically if a user can watch embedded video on every other website except Coppermine, then the problem lies with Coppermine and not the user.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2005, 09:38:22 am »

with an out-of-the-box install of firefox I was not able to view any videos on the CNN website. Review your attitude, don't take things for granted which aren't. The only video format all browsers are able to play out-of-the-box are animated GIFs. This discussion is leading nowhere, so if you think this is a bug in coppermine, then it's fine by me if you have this opinion - I just know better. Let's see some code from you to fix this so-called bug. If you can't come up with some code, I suggest you just accept the fact that you might be wrong.

Joachim

omniscientdeveloper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2005, 01:32:32 pm »

There was kind of an issue with Coppermine displaying some multimedia files in non-IE browsers. The reason this was is because it just spit out an object or embed tag without any information about the mime type of the file or which player to use. This has be mostly fixed in the upcoming release, but there are still some intermittent problems with AVI files. In those cases, installing the latest version of Quicktime usually fixed it.

....All of this I've posted on the board before.

vlada

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2005, 01:19:15 am »

omniscientdeveloper> AFAIK the QuickTime player can't play XviD compressed AVIs. There will be most likely the same problem with DivX or MPEG-4 AVC (Nero Digital, x264) movies.  Although it is an MPEG-4 compression, which should be supported in QT. The VLC plugin for Mozilla/Opera works fine for me. But because there are and always will be many problems with displaying movies I would suggest this:
Instead of trying to play the movie, I would show a thumbnail of it with 2 links below:
1) Play the movie
2) Download the movie
So if anyone can't play (or display) a file in his browser, they should be allowed to download it and play it offline.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.