Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Video doesn't work in other browser then IE  (Read 15644 times)

Klovan

• Coppermine newbie
Video doesn't work in other browser then IE
« on: August 11, 2004, 02:17:55 am »

In other browsers than IE, I cannot play video's. In tried in the newest versions of Opera and Firefox.
These browsers all say they need a plugin, but I have the plugins installed (Windows mediaplayer, Quicktime)

I've tried to see the video's on many other pc's, so I think it cannot be a fault in my PC.

See the images what message the browsers displayed.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 01:33:17 pm by omniscientdeveloper »

omniscientdeveloper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Video doesn't work in other browser then IE
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 03:40:13 am »

I'll look into it.

-omni

Klovan

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 03:07:59 pm »

What is the status of this 'bug'.

I Updated my version of Coppermine to 1.32 and the problem is still there.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 07:44:20 am »

be carefull when shouting "bug"...

Joachim

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 08:55:23 am »

Please post a link to that problem page.

Klovan

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 03:48:36 pm »

be carefull when shouting "bug"...

Joachim
I know, that's why I put two ' with the word

The site: http://fotos.feestcafetoppers.nl/fotos/displayimage.php?album=45&pos=19

Nibbler

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 04:22:19 pm »

Video plays fine for me - it is simply a matter of getting the right plugins for your setup.

Klovan

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 04:50:46 pm »

Video plays fine for me - it is simply a matter of getting the right plugins for your setup.

Which browser do you use and what are the settings?

I tried several pc's with firefox 0.10 PR and all gave the same problem.

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 04:59:45 pm »

I also have this problem with firefox, when trying to view avi files
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 05:15:57 pm »

Me too.

Nibbler

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 05:23:27 pm »

I'm using Firefox 1.0PR using the mplayer plugin under linux.

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2004, 06:14:37 pm »

OK, I finally got this working, by updating my quicktime player.  I was only 1 minor version short of the latest, but this was enough to cause the problem.

And by going to the firefox forums, I saw this was affecting other users, not just coppermine users.

So it seems firefox version 1.0PR will only display avi files with the latest quicktime installed, even though on my pc wmp is the default player for these files, and I have the latest version of that as well (version 10)
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

Klovan

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2004, 03:35:39 pm »

Firefox uses Quicktime to play avi-files. You have to got the latest version of Quicktime and you have to have the right settings in the mime-settings of Quicktime.

In QuickTime, go to Edit > Preferences > QT Preferences > Browser Plug-in > MIME Settings

And with all that it works  :)   Thx Casper (https://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fgathering.tweakers.net%2Fglobal%2Fsmileys%2Fworshippy.gif&hash=dc1f9e715f42bfcd8eaa352d97eb4e6184dd7e59)

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2004, 06:22:27 pm »

Firefox uses Quicktime to play avi-files.

Not correct.  Firefox looks at the file type and the default program that opens it.  If you have Quicktime on your system, and it's set as the default AVI player, that's what Firefox uses.  You can easily change that in Tools->Options->Downloads.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2004, 09:35:38 pm »

Hi Dave,

on my system I have windows media player (version 10) as the default player for avi files.  I have Firefox 1.0PR as my default browser.

But firefox will not play avi files on my pc in WMP.  And it would not work until I updated quicktime.  It now plays avi files using that, even though, as I said, it is not set as the player for these files.

And as you can see by this pic, firefox is set to use the default player for avi files.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 09:41:35 pm by Casper »

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2004, 01:33:11 am »

I see what you mean, Casper.  There is no AVI plug-in for Firefox when using Windows Media Player.  The Mozilla forums have no useful information on them about this issue.  Seems like the only way to play AVI files is to have Quicktime or some other video player installed.

Of course, you shouldn't really be uploading AVI files anyway - it's a format best used during the capturing and editing phase because the file isn't compressed when it's saved.  After the last edit, the file should be converted into a final product, like MPEG1/2, MOV, or WMV, which typically has a smaller file size and is more appropriate for the web.  Just my 2 cents.

Still doesn't solve the plug-in issue though.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2004, 11:54:12 am »

Of course, you shouldn't really be uploading AVI files anyway - it's a format best used during the capturing and editing phase because the file isn't compressed when it's saved.  After the last edit, the file should be converted into a final product, like MPEG1/2, MOV, or WMV, which typically has a smaller file size and is more appropriate for the web.  Just my 2 cents.

I fully agree, but there's an awful lot of people out there uploading them onto their websites.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2004, 01:23:25 pm »

Well, until Firefox does something about the AVI plug-in, hopefully users will search the forums for AVI and find this thread.  At least they'll know it isn't a Coppermine problem.

vlada

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2005, 01:39:18 am »

AVI is not a compression, it is a container which can contain a lot of different compressions inside (DivX, XviD, Indeo, DV, MJPEG, HuffYUV - MP2, MP3, AAC, AC3 etc). It is the most widely used and supported format. But it also has a lot of drawbacks. The original deffinition AVI 1.0 is very old and the new AVI 2.0 OpenDML specification is not always supported. Also MPEG-4 compression with b-frames inside AVI container causes problems.

Anyway I would avoid using proprietary formats such as WMV, MOV or RM. Btw. in MOV container you can have the same compressions as in AVI - MJPEG or MPEG-4 for example. I would suggest using MKV (matroska) or MP4 (only for MPEG-4 video/audio) containers. They seem to be the most progressive ones.

I have problems playing AVI files in all browsers I have. They are standard OpenDML AVI with XviD/MP3. Explorer loads the movie, but only sound is played. It loads FFDShow video decoder, but won't display any picture. After the playback Explorer crashes... Firefox probably starts a video plugin, but nothing happens. I tried VLC and QT plugins with no succes. Opera says it is missing a plugin, I'll do some more investigation and I'll let you know the results.

Anyway I think it would be a good idea to have on the page a link to download the movie file.

Vlada

vlada

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2005, 12:35:59 pm »

I finally made it work using VLC plugin v0.81. Version 0.8 didn't work, but the latest version works for me in Opera and Mozilla. There is no plugin for IE and WMP 10 doesn't work, even as a standalone player. And as usual in MS products, you cannot uninstall it. So I can't return to WMP 9. But I don't care too much, because I don't normally use IE and WMP.

Vlada
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.