Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Smart" albums  (Read 5941 times)

TC

• Coppermine newbie
"Smart" albums
« on: August 05, 2004, 12:57:48 pm »

After looking at lots of different PHP gallery software I decided to use Coppermine.
I'm really like it but just wanted to offer up an idea which might improve it.

The idea is to have smart albums which are automatically generated based on the meta data of images rather than be assigned to an album.

For example this would allow me to add the word "kids" to the exif comment field of images I upload and I would then be able to have a smart album which would automatically fish out all of those images.
As well as specifying how images are found to be included in each album you could also specify how they are grouped. So for eaxmple you could say group by rating and you would get the album kids with the sub albums, 1 star, 2 star, 3 star, etc. Or you could specify that they should be grouped by date, for example, Year/Month which would then give you this kind of structure:
Kids
     Kids/2003
           Kids/2003/January
           Kids/2003/Fenruary
           etc..

The code used to build up these groupings or search criteria could be well defined allowing people to write their own mods for grouping and collecting images.

Any thoughts?

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
Re: "Smart" albums
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 01:24:38 pm »

Such 'smart' albums are under development for the next version (1.4).  They use keywords to call pics from anywhee within the gallery.

As for calling from exif info, that I don't know.  Perhaps Tarique, the developer of this new addition, will be able to give more insight into it.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 06:23:33 pm »

hm, I guess looking up the exif info every time might result in many additional queries, I'm not sure this is a good idea.

GauGau

TC

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 02:09:37 am »

That depends on how the exif information is stored.
If you had a keyword list then you can have a separate table which links keywords to images. That would make a query based on keyword much faster and easier to set up.
It has already been discussed elsewhere to use the exif date as the main date associated with an image so standard SQL queries could be used to organise by date.

If someone is already doing this can you describe how it is going to work and whether there is any code already in the CVS?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 19 queries.