Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GD and ImageMagick  (Read 4005 times)

sylunt1

• Coppermine newbie
    • Brew-Monkey.com
GD and ImageMagick
« on: July 27, 2004, 03:12:32 am »

Is it possible to switch a GD2 install to use ImageMagick?  If so, how?

Thanks,

Chris
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 07:12:00 pm by sylunt1 »
Brew-Monkey.Com - Your source for brew news, events, reviews, and all things beer.

OmegaGOD

• Supporter
  • Coppermine frequent poster
  • I approve.
Re: Switching GD to ImageMagick
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 05:13:54 am »

Is it possible to switch a GD2 install to use ImageMagick?  If so, how?

Thanks,

Chris

Yes, it is possible to switch from GD2 to ImageMagick. First log into CPG as an administrator. Select the "Config" tab. Then under "Method for resizing images", select "ImageMagick". Then under "Path to ImageMagick 'convert' utility (example /usr/bin/X11/)" you will need to enter the exact path to the convert binary. On most webservers it will probably located at "/usr/bin/". Now CPG will use Imagemagick instead of GD2 generate thumbnails and intermediate pictures for future image additions to the photo gallery. As for the images already into the gallary, you will have to use the Resize Feature located under the "Admin Tools" to regenerate thumbnails and intermediate pictures using ImageMagick.

Hope this helps.

--OmegaGOD
Please do not PM me with support questions. Please read the manual and then if posting questions please place them in the proper sub-boards.

sylunt1

• Coppermine newbie
    • Brew-Monkey.com
Re: Switching GD to ImageMagick
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 07:11:54 pm »

Excellent - thank you.

Can anyone tell me what the advantages/disadvantages of using either ImageMagick or GD2 are?  I have access to both.

Thanks,
Chris
Brew-Monkey.Com - Your source for brew news, events, reviews, and all things beer.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: GD and ImageMagick
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 05:18:58 am »

You can find a lot of information about them both on the web.  In a few words: GD v2.xx and ImageMagick are both good.  ImageMagick supports more file types, but has no built in functions with php.  GD comes bundled with most php installs, but produces slightly poorer thumbnails.  Up until a few days ago, GIF support was not in GD.  However, the latest version now supports read/write GIF functions again (check out www.boutell.com/gd for more info).  Coppermine still won't support GD & GIF without some modifications (search the forums for my mod).

If you want top of the line intermediate and thumb pictures, use ImageMagick.  For most people, GD2 does the job just fine.  So, it's pretty much a personal preference IMHO.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

sylunt1

• Coppermine newbie
    • Brew-Monkey.com
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 06:14:33 am »

That's the kind of info I was looking for - thank you.

Thanks,

Chris

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 07:15:46 am »

there's another slight disadvantage when using ImageMagick: when batch-adding pics to the coppermine database, ImageMagick starts a separate process for all pics that need thumbs and intermediate files being built, often resulting in a high server load. This may result in a 100% server load. As a result, you can not add as many pics in one go with batch-add using ImageMagick than with GD.

GauGau
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.