Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How big is to big ..  (Read 3592 times)

Outlaw Photos

• Coppermine novice
How big is to big ..
« on: August 17, 2023, 01:34:52 am »

Our gallery is getting old with lots of photos and now getting real slow loading is can your gallery get to big?

406man

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
Re: How big is to big ..
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 09:16:44 am »

Some information about the gallery would help answer your question. How many photos in total ? Which version of Coppermine ? What is the operation that's slow ?

Outlaw Photos

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 08:32:10 pm »

version 1.6.25   as it shows .. 
  stats...   513,069 files in 11,634 albums and 722 categories with 1 comments viewed 8,172,977 times   

Location..   https://www.dirttrackdigest.com/gallery7

the page load is very slow..       It's been a great Gallery..  just wondering if it's become to big? 

ron4mac

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 09:56:16 pm »

You could try this caching plugin.

406man

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2023, 03:11:29 pm »

I took a look at the site - it’s a very impressive archive of dirt track racing pictures and it certainly is large. The home page took a long time to load for me too. When I accessed individual albums – for example Race Week Ending 8/13/23 - the performance was fine when displaying that album. That says to me that the system basically is fine. I believe that the slow performance is caused by the amount of material that has to be accessed to create the home page.

The question then moves to what should be removed to speed it up ? With 8 weeks of racing pictures in weekly time order the viewer can figure the site out pretty quickly so the Random Files and Last Additions sections could be chopped out.

An impressive part of the site is the archive of pictures going back to 2011. The downside of this is that to create the totals of numbers of albums and pictures requires multiple large database reads right through the database. The system does one large read operation for each year.  I recommend you re-structure the years under a couple of new headings, for example: “Racing 2020-2022” and “Racing 2011-2019”  instead of each year listed individually. Or even a single heading “Racing Archive (2011-2022)”. Once this is done, if you have a single heading the large database read operation only has to be done once for the home page instead of 13 times ! You could also reduce the 8 weekly albums of pictures to 5 or 6.

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 07:21:35 pm »

....so the Random Files and Last Additions sections could be chopped out.

Good suggestions, especially on Random with the large set to select from.

In Config >> Maintenance Settings, enable debug to see how long each query to the db is taking.

(Great site, it looks like a lot of fun out there!)

Outlaw Photos

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 09:10:28 pm »

You could try this caching plugin.

I think we already did that as it shows in the theme.. 

Outlaw Photos

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2023, 09:12:50 pm »

I took a look at the site - it’s a very impressive archive of dirt track racing pictures and it certainly is large. The home page took a long time to load for me too. When I accessed individual albums – for example Race Week Ending 8/13/23 - the performance was fine when displaying that album. That says to me that the system basically is fine. I believe that the slow performance is caused by the amount of material that has to be accessed to create the home page.

The question then moves to what should be removed to speed it up ? With 8 weeks of racing pictures in weekly time order the viewer can figure the site out pretty quickly so the Random Files and Last Additions sections could be chopped out.

An impressive part of the site is the archive of pictures going back to 2011. The downside of this is that to create the totals of numbers of albums and pictures requires multiple large database reads right through the database. The system does one large read operation for each year.  I recommend you re-structure the years under a couple of new headings, for example: “Racing 2020-2022” and “Racing 2011-2019”  instead of each year listed individually. Or even a single heading “Racing Archive (2011-2022)”. Once this is done, if you have a single heading the large database read operation only has to be done once for the home page instead of 13 times ! You could also reduce the 8 weekly albums of pictures to 5 or 6.

I've cut down the year groups to 3.  I'll give it a shot with clipping the number of gallery's displayed and see if that helps as well ..thanks for the help.. 

Outlaw Photos

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2023, 09:19:27 pm »

Good suggestions, especially on Random with the large set to select from.

In Config >> Maintenance Settings, enable debug to see how long each query to the db is taking.

(Great site, it looks like a lot of fun out there!)

Queries:
------------------
Array
(

• => SELECT name, value FROM cpg15x_config [include/init.inc.php:177] (0.31 ms)
  • [1] => SELECT * FROM cpg15x_plugins ORDER BY priority
[include/plugin_api.inc.php:48] (0.19 ms)
    [2] => SELECT user_id, time FROM `dtdadmin_gallery7`.cpg15x_sessions WHERE session_id = 'ff5290586fd939efbfdc12c9d931d159' [bridge/coppermine.inc.php:241] (0.17 ms)
    [3] => SELECT user_id, user_password FROM `dtdadmin_gallery7`.cpg15x_users WHERE user_id=2 [bridge/udb_base.inc.php:59] (0.09 ms)
    [4] => SELECT u.user_id AS id, u.user_name AS username, user_password AS password, u.user_group AS group_id FROM `dtdadmin_gallery7`.cpg15x_users AS u LEFT JOIN `dtdadmin_gallery7`.cpg15x_usergroups AS g ON u.user_group=g.group_id WHERE u.user_id='2' [bridge/udb_base.inc.php:59] (0.21 ms)
    [5] => SELECT user_group_list FROM `dtdadmin_gallery7`.cpg15x_users AS u WHERE user_id='2' AND user_group_list <> '' [bridge/udb_base.inc.php:59] (0.15 ms)
    [6] => SELECT MAX(group_quota) AS disk_max, MIN(group_quota) AS disk_min, MAX(can_rate_pictures) AS can_rate_pictures, MAX(can_send_ecards) AS can_send_ecards, MAX(can_post_comments) AS can_post_comments, MAX(can_upload_pictures) AS can_upload_pictures, MAX(can_create_albums) AS can_create_albums, MAX(has_admin_access) AS has_admin_access, MAX(access_level) AS access_level, MIN(pub_upl_need_approval) AS pub_upl_need_approval, MIN( priv_upl_need_approval) AS    priv_upl_need_approval FROM cpg15x_usergroups WHERE group_id in (1) [bridge/udb_base.inc.php:357] (0.15 ms)
    [7] => SELECT group_name FROM cpg15x_usergroups WHERE group_id= 1 [bridge/udb_base.inc.php:362] (0.08 ms)
    [8] => SELECT COUNT(*) FROM cpg15x_categorymap WHERE group_id in (1) [bridge/udb_base.inc.php:375] (0.08 ms)
    [9] => SELECT lang_id FROM cpg15x_languages WHERE enabled='YES' [include/init.inc.php:334] (0.3 ms)
    [10] => SELECT user_favpics FROM cpg15x_favpics WHERE user_id = 2 [include/init.inc.php:392] (0.1 ms)
    [11] => DELETE FROM cpg15x_banned WHERE expiry < '2023-08-21 19:15:10' [include/init.inc.php:448] (0.11 ms)
    [12] => SELECT null FROM cpg15x_banned WHERE (user_id=2 OR '13.56.164.21' LIKE ip_addr ) AND brute_force=0 LIMIT 1 [include/init.inc.php:464] (0.13 ms)
    [13] => SHOW TABLES LIKE 'cpg15x_languages' [include/functions.inc.php:5848] (0.19 ms)
    [14] => SELECT lang_id, english_name, native_name, custom_name FROM cpg15x_languages WHERE available='YES' AND enabled='YES'  [include/functions.inc.php:5859] (0.14 ms)
    [15] => SELECT COUNT(*) FROM cpg15x_pictures WHERE approved = 'NO' [include/functions.inc.php:2530] (65.49 ms)
    [16] => SELECT lang_id, abbr FROM cpg15x_languages WHERE available='YES' AND enabled='YES' [include/themes.inc.php:2291] (0.17 ms)
)
   This is after the changes we've made..   We love our Coppermine Gallery

ron4mac

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 05:21:32 pm »

I think we already did that as it shows in the theme..
I am quite sure that, if correctly installed and configured, the theme caching plugin would make public (not logged in) loading of your site much quicker with a much lower volume of database activity.
It only functions with public/guest access (can not be logged in).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 06:23:19 pm by ron4mac »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.