Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: portrait pics are distorted or are rotated by 90 degree to the left  (Read 4346 times)

Chris99

• Coppermine novice

Hello :-)

After Update to version 1.6.20 all my portrait pictures looking ok in thumbnail, but in full resolution the picture is distorted or is rotated by 90 degree to the left. What can I do?

http://www.ingrid-grossmann.de/cogallery/thumbnails.php?album=3460

Thank you.

ron4mac

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: portrait pics are distorted or are rotated by 90 degree to the left
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 01:47:22 pm »

I see that you are not using intermediate images.
I am going to make these assumptions:
 You have just started using the 1.6.x version of CPG.
 You are only seeing the issue with new uploads since you upgraded your gallery to CPG 1.6.x
 You are processing your images in some way prior to uploading them.

CPG 1.6.x (by default) automatically orients files during uploads. It does this based on meta data that is normally included in an image file. If a file is pre-processed and the meta data is either missing or does not properly represent the new attributes of the file, then the automatic orientation can have undesirable results. You can uncheck the automatic orientation checkbox during upload, if that will help.

An album that you uploaded on Jan 6 is okay but beginning on Jan 13 they are not. What changed between Jan 6 and Jan 13?
Looking at your gallery more, it seems to have been happening since at least 2018.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 12:13:09 pm by ron4mac »

Chris99

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 01:55:28 pm »

Hi Ron4mac,

thank you very much. Yes, I've seen the problem exists since 2018.. :-(.
I ve analyzed the pics:
if there is in meta exif/orientation:    1: Normal (0 deg) - everything is ok
if there is in meta exif/orientation:    8: 90 deg CW - looks distorted (most of the portrait pics) but in earlier coppermine versions the problem doesn't exist... 
(Is there a possiblity to tell the software if the images have this metadata ( 8:90 deg CW ) show them portrait...? :-)

Another strange thing, i can't explain:
My colleague have an a very old pc with Firefox 54 and windows xp. All portrait pics are ok on this pc...
On all other "modern" pcs the portrait pics are distorted.

The wrong rotation in pics comes from post production, the software she uses is photoshop 6 and acdsee 4. (Both versions from the 19th century, both can't recognize autorotation)  :-X 8)   

Thanks and best regards from Munich

ron4mac

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 05:58:30 pm »

It may help your situation quite a bit to just add a line to the CSS file for your theme.
In the style.css file in your curve theme folder, at around line 494, in the definition for .image, add the line:
Code: [Select]
image-orientation: none;That should help make things better for modern computers.
Because curve is a core theme, when you upgrade your gallery, you'll have to add that line again.

Chris99

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 11:21:56 pm »

Thank you ron4mac,

I have added the line in the file style.css in my curve theme folder, at around line 494, in the definition for .image,

but nothing changes... what should that "add" do with the existing pics or in future uploads? 

Best regards

ron4mac

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 01:31:09 am »

You probably have to clear your cache. The album at the link above displays correctly for me now.

Chris99

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 01:48:14 am »

Thhhhhhhhaaaaaaaank you  :) :) :) :)

ron4mac

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 11:50:52 pm »

I'm glad that helped. It doesn't fix the underlying problem with the files, though. For example, they don't display properly in the Fancybox Media viewer.

I put together an Admin Tool that you can use to fix some of the problem files if you choose to do so. Just place it (unzipped) in the tools folder of your gallery. It will then be available as one of the Admin Tools.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.