Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Following Directory is not writeable.  (Read 9714 times)

sjj1805

• Coppermine novice
The Following Directory is not writeable.
« on: March 02, 2020, 04:12:22 pm »

Only a few weeks ago I upgraded my coppermine to the latest available version CPG Release 1.6.07
I have regularly kept the site updated when the CPG Release message appears - Until now. Suddenly I am faced with a message to say my Albums directory is not writeable. My site is hosted on my own Windows 10 Pro computer. I have logged onto Windows as an Administrator.
I have checked the Windows Explorer directory permissions and set it to "Everyone" and given it all permissions, read, write, edit, delete and so on.
I have checked the IIS Webserver permissions and checked that anonymous access is allowed to the albums directory.
Cleared my browser web cache.
Used a different browser - Internet explorer instead of my usual firefox.
I even logged into the CMD prompt as an administrator and checked the directory was not read only, hidden or showing as system. (Attrib -s -h -r)
Out of ideas now, so what else can I try?

ron4mac

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: The Following Directory is not writeable.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 05:03:30 pm »

I don't have an equivalent system to check with. The 'albums' folder must be writeable by the web server. In linux systems it is typically 'owned' by the user id that the web server is running as.

What changes did you make to your system since you had upgraded to 1.6.07?

sjj1805

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 01:45:16 am »

Thats the problem, None apart from installing the new one on top of the existing one then restoring any of my own modifications, mostly my own theme in the themes directory.
Its located on my own computer so I have full control over it. I logged into Windows using an Administrator account.
I double checked that the windows directory has full read/write access to everyone including any sub folders.
Just in case it was a web cache issue I cleared the cache. When that didnt work I tried again from another browser.
Thats when I decided to post here just in case there was an issue with one of the updated files in the latest version.

sjj1805

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 02:04:58 am »

I have noticed that CPG Release 1.6.08 is now available. Perhaps I need to try a clean install then copy over my Albums and Theme

sjj1805

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 11:31:45 am »

I have removed and reinstalled the coppermine installation with the new version and then put my albums directory back in place.
However we will not know if this has worked or not until the next coppermine update because the error only shows up when the "Available update" procedure kicks in.
When it does I will let everyone know if the issue has been cured or not.
Regards, Steve Jones

sjj1805

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 03:33:23 pm »

Its happening again with the latest release

sjj1805

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 04:02:24 pm »

I have found a quick workaround.
1. Cut and paste the "Albums directory" to somewhere else on the SAME hard drive (takes seconds even on a very large album)
2. Now create a new (empty) albums directory and make sure it is read/write and has all the permissions for everyone
3. Now you can do the upgrade.
4. cut and paste the original albums directory back.

sjj1805

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 12:06:51 pm »

I have finally worked out what was causing this issue. I had used the Windows option to customise the folder icon. It was that which caused the issue.
if you do not change the default folder icon the update will work
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.