Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recreating Photos After Domain Change  (Read 5196 times)

nowordneeded

• Coppermine frequent poster
Recreating Photos After Domain Change
« on: September 13, 2017, 12:52:40 am »

I'm running the latest stable version of 1.5.46 and my gallery is here: http://alexiegilmore.com/gallery

My problem is this my domain expired and I had hoped to renew it, however, someone stole it out from under me and I had to buy a new domain in order to re-establish my site. Since the a-hole who bought my domain is only parking the domain, I had to save all my Wordpress and Coppermine files from my server on the old domain and move them to the new one. The only issue was that not all the photos were able to be copied as according to my FTP program I didn't have the necessary permissions in order to copy them over to save them. So because of that I have "holes" in my gallery where those photos were. You can see that here:

http://alexiegilmore.com/gallery/index.php?cat=4 (attachment included)

I was wondering what I can do to replace them with the originals and still keep my image count and not go to too much bother. I still have the originals but am not sure if I can upload them and redo the thumbs and normal sized images.

Thanks in advance.
Sometimes my musings are too confusing for someone not inside my head.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Recreating Photos After Domain Change
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 01:45:24 pm »

I had to save all my Wordpress and Coppermine files from my server on the old domain and move them to the new one.

Why don't you use your new domain with your old server? This way you don't need to fix anything.

nowordneeded

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 02:39:29 pm »

It was a different server. About 744 files got stuck on the old one that I couldn't save due to permissions issues. Those are what's missing now.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 05:08:42 pm »

You need to upload the missing original files via FTP to their correct location and then use the admin tools to recreate all files. Alternatively you could use the file replace plugin and replace each image manually, but I assume this will be more work than my other suggestion.

nowordneeded

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 06:44:59 pm »

So let me get this straight, I upload all the original images (not the ones that were left) via ftp. Add them to the empty albums then using the admin tools recreate the normal and thumbnails for each album? Will that keep my image counts?

Yes, trying to replace 744 files one by one would be very labour intensive. I like your first solution better. :)

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 07:05:20 pm »

The view counts are stored in the database. You need to upload the original files to the file system. When done, you should be able to view the full-sized pictures. To create the thumbnails, the intermediate-sized pictures and downsize the original pictures (if they're too large) you need to run the admin tools. Important: don't use batch add or the upload form, you don't need them to fix your issue.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 08:51:46 pm »

So let me get this straight, I upload all the original images (not the ones that were left) via ftp. Add them to the empty albums then using the admin tools recreate the normal and thumbnails for each album? Will that keep my image counts?

Yes, trying to replace 744 files one by one would be very labour intensive. I like your first solution better. :)

Just to make 100% sure you understand, you have to place the images in the same folder on your file system that they were originally in. So for instance if the file 04192009_-_Rebecca_Taylors_fall_2009_runway_show_at_Bryant_Park_Salon_008.jpg was in the folder /albums/userpics/10001 it must go back there for it to show.

If you still have access to your old server it might be faster to sort the file permissions/ownership out.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

nowordneeded

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 11:41:02 pm »

Good News! My host had a backup copy of the files I needed and they're now being uploaded! Do I look happy? :D

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 11:46:52 pm »

That is excellent news and saves a lot of work for you.

As a guess as to those permission problems. I would get that you uploaded some images using ftp, and others from the coppermine front end. Some server setups have a different owner for each method. So probably what happened is you could still download anything that was uploaded using ftp with your ftp app, but could not download files that were uploaded via the CPG Gui.

nowordneeded

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 12:16:44 am »

Phill:

Yes, huge relief. As for the permissions. It had to do with long file names. My computer would not allow them into a sub>sub>sub> folder, however, I transferred them from the server to my desktop and all transferred. They were mainly the "normal" and "thumb" files, not the originals. So for anyone who checks out this thread at a later date having the same problem:

Transfer to your desktop then back to your coppermine installation if it's a case of having to reinstall someplace else and you're getting the same error.

But the files were all uploaded via FTP then batch added to the albums.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 08:29:21 am »

For future reference, when moving files between servers like that it can make things a lot easier if you zip them on the old sever, then unzip them on the new. This way you do not run into the many problems going via a pic can cause. These include permission errors, file system errors and the case sensitivity problem.

If you are moving on the same hosting platform then it can be made even easier and faster if your hose allows scp or rsync between servers. This way the files are copied directly from one server to the next.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.