Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Migrate from 1.3.2 to new version  (Read 30367 times)

skeptikal3

• Coppermine newbie
Migrate from 1.3.2 to new version
« on: November 03, 2016, 05:48:00 pm »

Hello! I'm new to the forum so I apologize if this is in the wrong section but I inherited a coppermine gallery and was hoping to get some direction. I believe the current version we are on is 1.3.2 (based upon the cookie name "cpg132".

I followed the instructions here -- http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/export.htm-- and migrated the data (SQL + files) to a new 2012 R2 server with IIS 8.5 and am able to access the website and see the albums and the album summaries are showing that there are files, and when the last file was added.

However, when going to the login page I get an error "Warning your browser does not accept script's cookies".

Also, the albums I have are showing up properly, but when clicking them and trying to view the photos I get "The selected album/file does not exist !" even though the album summary is showing with files/data in it.

My original thought was to migrate all the data to a new server, and then upgrade to the latest version of coppermine but I can't do that when I can't login to the Admin interface, or view the photos that are already in the albums.

Any thoughts?

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: Migrate from 1.3.2 to new version
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 01:29:12 pm »

Could we have a link to your site please?

In addition, after the move did you remember to run update.php?
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

skeptikal3

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 02:50:19 pm »

Unfortunately the site is internal and not availalbe to the outside world but I've uploaded a couple screenshots.

As you can see in the "album-summary", there are thumbnails as well as the number of files and when they were last updated.

Clicking on "Client Logos" album, gives the "album-details" results screenshot .

skeptikal3

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 02:57:59 pm »

Unfortunately the site is internal and not availalbe to the outside world but I've uploaded a couple screenshots.

As you can see in the "album-summary", there are thumbnails as well as the number of files and when they were last updated.

Clicking on "Client Logos" album, gives the "album-details" results screenshot .

But to answer your question, yes I also ran the /update.php script but am still getting this result. It's like it's partially reading the thumbnails from the database on the album-summary screenshot, but then will not find the actual thumbnails in the albums on album-details screenshot

gmc

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • GMC Design Photo Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 09:03:54 pm »

The cookie name is not necessarily the version you are running - but more likely the first version you installed - typically the cookie value doesn't get changed in an upgrade (or it would invalidate everyone's cookies...)  Most source code should have a block at top with version number...  An eyecatcher like:
Code: [Select]

Coppermine version: 1.5.44
  $HeadURL: https://svn.code.sf.net/p/coppermine/code/trunk/cpg1.5.x/addfav.php $
  $Revision: 8862 $
**********************************************/

As I am reading your post - you moved to a new server - but did NOT upgrade yet.. Still running the old version.
Not being able to login as admin can be a symptom of incompatibility between an OLD CPG and a more current server (version of PHP, etc) - all problems we have fixed along the way.  Same for the 'not exist' message - it is likely masking an error received... (manually turning on debug in the database would show more messages...)

No reason you can't upgrade on the new server as it is now - you don't need to login to CPG to do so (you will need to give your CPG or MySQL credentials to the update script to complete the upgrade) - and when all the upgrades are done, you should have a working gallery again...

But to determine your upgrade path - need to know where you are...
If 1.3.x - you will need to go to a 1.4.x release - and then 1.5.x...
Upgrade paths and steps are all described in the doc.
Ask if you need help along the way...

Greg
Thanks!
Greg
My Coppermine Gallery
Need a web hosting account? See my gallery for an offer for CPG Forum users.
Send me money

skeptikal3

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 02:29:31 pm »

Quote from: gmc
As I am reading your post - you moved to a new server - but did NOT upgrade yet.. Still running the old version.
Not being able to login as admin can be a symptom of incompatibility between an OLD CPG and a more current server (version of PHP, etc) - all problems we have fixed along the way.  Same for the 'not exist' message - it is likely masking an error received... (manually turning on debug in the database would show more messages...)

The idea was to migrate our current version to a new server, test everything to make sure it worked, then upgrade the coppermine software to a new version. But after migrating, I received the screenshot error messages above.

I also did try to run the /update.php -- and got the message "Upgrade completed. Coppermine is now upgraded and ready to roll. Let's continue !" but the albums still don't work.

I also tried installing a new copy of the updated version of the coppermine software but I don't want to have to manually add all those photos back into the albums.

gmc

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 02:38:48 pm »

The idea was to migrate our current version to a new server, test everything to make sure it worked, then upgrade the coppermine software to a new version. But after migrating, I received the screenshot error messages above.
While a good idea - it just isn't possible if running older versions of CPG not compatible with software levels on the new server...
You still didn't confirm/verify what version you are actually running based on my last reply.

I also did try to run the /update.php -- and got the message "Upgrade completed. Coppermine is now upgraded and ready to roll. Let's continue !" but the albums still don't work.
If you just ran update/php without uploading the new version of CPG - it won't do anything different than when you ran it following your last install/upgrade...
If you skipped an upgrade step - like going from 1.3 to 1.5 - I'd expect issues as well...

I also tried installing a new copy of the updated version of the coppermine software but I don't want to have to manually add all those photos back into the albums.
No reason to have to add photos again - as long as your albums folder and database were moved intact to the new server.
It's a matter of identifying the correct upgrade path based on your current level - following the relevant docs to upgrade in place - and your pictures should all appear again.
(Having backups and/or a test copy to upgrade first is always prudent... Since you are moving from an old server - I assume you already have the backup used to populate the new server.)

We're here to help - but there is information we need to be able to do so...
Thanks!
Greg
My Coppermine Gallery
Send me money

skeptikal3

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 04:05:18 pm »

While a good idea - it just isn't possible if running older versions of CPG not compatible with software levels on the new server...
You still didn't confirm/verify what version you are actually running based on my last reply.

From README.txt -----
  Coppermine version: 1.5.44
  $HeadURL: https://svn.code.sf.net/p/coppermine/code/trunk/cpg1.5.x/README.txt $
  $Revision: 8862 $

If you just ran update/php without uploading the new version of CPG - it won't do anything different than when you ran it following your last install/upgrade...
If you skipped an upgrade step - like going from 1.3 to 1.5 - I'd expect issues as well...

That's what I'm trying to figure out is what step I'm missing? I followed the instructions here just now -- http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/upgrading.htm#upgrade_any -- but am not getting the albums to display any of the photos.

gmc

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 04:59:20 am »

OK... but what version are you upgrading from?  Look at the same file in the backup you used to move from the old server...
You cannot upgrade directly from 1.3.x (the version you reported you were running) to 1.5.44.
Support for a direct upgrade from cpg1.0, cpg1.1, cpg1.2.x or cpg1.3.x to cpg1.5.x has been dropped - if you still have such an ancient version running, you will have to upgrade in a two-step-process (from your version to cpg1.4.x and then on to cpg1.5.x)
Thanks!
Greg
My Coppermine Gallery
Send me money

skeptikal3

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 08:08:01 pm »

Okay that may be the issue. I upgraded from 1.3.2 to 1.5.x directly. I didn't see anything mentioned in the upgrade docs about a step in-between. Do you have a link that I can download a copy of 1.4 as well? Or instructions on upgrading from 1.3.2 to 1.5.x?

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 09:41:15 pm »

Please read this section of the docs - http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/upgrading.htm#upgrade_particular

All the downloads can be found on the download link, including all versions - https://sourceforge.net/projects/coppermine/files/Coppermine/

skeptikal3

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 01:25:27 pm »

Quote from: Phill Luckhurst
Please read this section of the docs - http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/upgrading.htm#upgrade_particular

All the downloads can be found on the download link, including all versions - https://sourceforge.net/projects/coppermine/files/Coppermine/

Thanks for the link! Is there a specific set of instructions for upgrading from 1.3.x to 1.4.x ?

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me

skeptikal3

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 07:04:15 pm »

Also, does it matter what version of 1.4.x I use to upgrade from 1.3.2?

The Plan is --
1) Backup files and database from 1.3.2 old server
2) Test data (this is where I noticed there were no pictures in the albums but the albums were being displayed)
3) Migrate files/database to new server
4) Upgrade from 1.3.2 to 1.4.x
5) Test content/albums
6) Upgrade from 1.4.x to 1.5.x
7) Test content/albums

gmc

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 09:00:41 pm »

I'd suggest the latest version of 1.4.x as many issues were addressed during its life.
Thanks!
Greg
My Coppermine Gallery
Send me money

ron4mac

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 09:50:05 pm »

I recommend upgrading to 1.4.x on the old server. Then upgrade to 1.5.x there as well.  Once it is running correctly at 1.5.x on the old server, then you can migrate it to the new server and deal with any new server issues.

Doing it all on the new server is just asking for trouble ;)

skeptikal3

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Re: Migrate from 1.3.2 to new version
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 08:47:03 pm »

Quote from: ron4mac
I recommend upgrading to 1.4.x on the old server. Then upgrade to 1.5.x there as well.  Once it is running correctly at 1.5.x on the old server, then you can migrate it to the new server and deal with any new server issues.

Doing it all on the new server is just asking for trouble ;)

Unfortunately since it's a production system we don't want to risk upgrading and breaking it so our preferred method is to migrate the data to a new server. We can't even migrate our current version to a new server and have it work so we don't want to risk something going wrong in the upgrade process, then having to restore and it not working.

I just tried the migration from old server to new server again but I'm still getting the same results. The album list is populating the albums and shows the number of files, and shows when the last file was uploaded. But when clicking into one of the Albums, it gives an "The selected album/file does not exist !" message.

How does coppermine determine the album summary information? I am trying to determine whether or not my database connection is wrong, or if the application just doesn't work.

Also, clicking the "Login" link gives me the error "Warning your browser does not accept script's cookies" above the input fields. When trying to login, it just kicks back to the logon screen with the same message above the input fields.

ron4mac

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 09:14:26 pm »

If you could:
1) Indisputably let us know that it truly is version 1.3.2 of CPG that you are trying to upgrade
2) Tell us the version of PHP on both the old and the new server
3) Tell us the version of MySQL on both the old and the new server

Then perhaps someone could be able to replicate the situation and give you more guidance.

Or, if there would be no issues in doing so, let one of us download your backup.

It may not be likely that you will get the situation corrected unless you give us more information/access.

skeptikal3

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Re: Migrate from 1.3.2 to new version
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 10:02:48 pm »

If you could:
1) Indisputably let us know that it truly is version 1.3.2 of CPG that you are trying to upgrade
2) Tell us the version of PHP on both the old and the new server
3) Tell us the version of MySQL on both the old and the new server

Then perhaps someone could be able to replicate the situation and give you more guidance.

Or, if there would be no issues in doing so, let one of us download your backup.

It may not be likely that you will get the situation corrected unless you give us more information/access.

So after the migration from old server to new server, it didn't work.
Then I upgraded from 1.3.2 to 1.4.27 and the albums started to show the thumbnails.
Then I upgraded to 1.5x and I am still able to view the thumbnails, and login!

This can be closed. I appreciate everyone's help!

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 08:54:01 pm »

Just for future reference, a great way to check versions is to browse to yourgallery/sql/update.sql
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.