Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cross-reference individual photos to others?  (Read 4963 times)

henry

• Coppermine newbie
cross-reference individual photos to others?
« on: September 07, 2016, 12:39:41 am »

I installed  cpg 1.4.19  when it was current...  At the time I could not find any convenient way to cross-reference photos.  For example, if 3 different photos in a large collection showed different views of the same subject material, I wanted to link each one to each of the others, preferably with a description (e.g. "see rear view of this building at <link>). 

Now that I'm current, at cpg 1.5.42, will I find any provisions for doing that?

TIA

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: cross-reference individual photos to others?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 10:03:28 am »

I'm not sure what exactly you mean with "link to each other". Do you just want to add a text like
see rear view of this building at <link>
or are you looking for something different?

I created a "Group pictures plugin" for cpg1.4.x, are you looking for something like that? http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,60737.0.html

henry

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 02:20:40 am »

André:

Thanks for your response and your work on Coppermine.

I don't think that your Group Picture plugin applies to my issue.  I'm not interested in accumulating thumbnails of one particular subject in one place, and my photo collection is purely historical documentation of a far-off, poorly-documented place. 

Consider Coppermine's "full view" of a specific photo, one that shows the full information:   filename, album name filesize, date added, dimensions, number of times viewed, etc, along with a medium-size view of the photo.   I'd like to be able to add a link on that page to another related photo, direclty to its "full view" page.

Maybe an example would make this more clear: 

I have a ~1930 photo of some people sitting outside the closed front door of a house.  If I am very lucky I will find another contemporary photo of the interior of the same house, maybe even the other side of the same door.  These are two photos of different subjects, but clearly related.  I'd like to place a link in the "full view" for the exterior view photo saying something like, "To see what is probably the interior of this house, click <here>. "   On the "full view" of the interior photo, I'd like to place this:  "To see what is probably the exterior of this house, click <here>.

These texts might be placed in a new field, perhaps called "Related Items".   Or, it probably would be OK to include them in the existing "Comment" field.

Sure, if a true miracle happened, I might locate a series of photos showing the neighborhood, the nearby houses, the view walking up the steps to this house,  a person inside opening the door, and the view of the inhabitants of the house as the visitor-photographer enters.   If so, the obvious thing to do would be to create an album for this sequence so they would all be together and would be shown in sequence   

But I will be lucky to just have these two photos, and just two photos is probably too few for the concept of "album".

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 05:58:06 pm »

You could either use the title field, the description field or one of the custom fields, which would appear in the file information box by default. But this is possible since at least cpg1.3.x, so maybe I still haven't got what's your actual issue.

Let's start with the location of your text and the link. Where exactly should it be displayed? A link to your gallery might help while you explain the location.

henry

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 07:20:25 pm »

Thanks for all your help.

We've decided to go in a completely different direction with our work, so I do not need to take any more of your time.

Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 20 queries.