Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transparent gif on images bypassed in Opera mini  (Read 3427 times)

alcorjr

• Coppermine novice
Transparent gif on images bypassed in Opera mini
« on: February 17, 2016, 05:56:21 pm »

Hello guys, I have discovered that users running Opera mini for Android are able to save images from my gallery. Is there any plugin or update that will strengthen the anti-theft features of cgpg 1.5?

Thanks

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Transparent gif on images bypassed in Opera mini
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 09:00:54 pm »

Everything that is transferred to the your users' browsers can be saved with more or less effort. Do you already use a watermark?

alcorjr

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 09:03:10 pm »

Yes. They are watermarked $ signed

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 12:25:19 am »

That is the best you can do I am afraid. Whenever someone views an image it is by its very nature downloaded, albeit temporarily, to their computer. Stopping right click and adding transparent overlays are really just tricks to stop the most basic attempts at theft. Anyone who really wants to will be able to steal your images if they are on the internet, whatever the software behind it is from coppermine to flickr to facebook etc. So te best bet is to watermark and only upload lower res version of your shots.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

gmc

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • GMC Design Photo Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 08:44:56 pm »

There is a way to prevent someone from going after other pictures in your gallery (ie the fullsize if you disallow access to unregistered users)... Someone knowing the Coppermine naming structures can easily guess from the name of an intermediate file (available in the html source of a CPG page) what the fullsize image would be called - and directly request it.

The 'Mask URL' plugin allows you to mask or encrypt (your choice) the URL used for accessing the pictures - so the filename and path remains hidden.  The user will not be able to determine your albums folder/subfolder structure to go 'fishing' for additional pictures.
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,78168.0.html

As Phil said though - if you allow them to see the picture - it is already on their PC for the taking...
Thanks!
Greg
My Coppermine Gallery
Need a web hosting account? See my gallery for an offer for CPG Forum users.
Send me money
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.