Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot upload wmv files.  (Read 9024 times)

Kawboy

• Coppermine newbie
Cannot upload wmv files.
« on: February 03, 2015, 05:49:11 pm »

Well, I've checked everything I know to check, looked at the upload troubleshooting page, but keep getting the following error. It's probably something simple or a setting, but just not knowing what to do. This error message is what I get when trying to upload a larger wmv file. I've also gotten an error message that I need a plugin when trying this with a smaller file- but don't know what plugin I need- maybe these two are related?

To test yourself: username: tester
                         password: foobar

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: Cannot upload wmv files.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 07:18:22 pm »

A test account is great but it is better with a link to your site :P
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Kawboy

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Re: Cannot upload wmv files.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 08:30:13 pm »

A test account is great but it is better with a link to your site :P

Oooops! I guess that would be a good idea- what a dope I am!  :-[

http://www.pachapteri.com/copperminephoto/index.php

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 09:38:37 pm »

How large was the test file which produced that error message? I assume it exceeds server limits for uploading files via HTTP. Please make sure that you can upload such large files.

Kawboy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 10:03:01 pm »

How large was the test file which produced that error message? I assume it exceeds server limits for uploading files via HTTP. Please make sure that you can upload such large files.

I assume you mean the size limits within coppermine, or are you referring to something with the host server? The limit within coppermine should more than accept the larger files. If it's with the host server, I'm not sure where to look, but may have to contact them.

ron4mac

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 06:02:13 am »

You might want to try this alternate method to upload files.
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,75927.0.html
If you haven't installed a plugin before, refer to the CPG documentation about doing so. This plugin will give you a third method that can be selected on the upload screen. Make sure to check Config->User Settings to see that selecting upload methods is enabled.

Kawboy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 09:18:04 pm »

Ron,
Ok, I uploaded this plugin and installed it, and now I can upload that wmv file that I couldn't before (thank you for the great plugin). However, it is still giving me the message that I need to install a plugin to view the file or wmv. I still don't know which plugin I need to do this, can you tell me what plugin I need and where to get that?

ron4mac

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 04:57:07 pm »

However, it is still giving me the message that I need to install a plugin to view the file or wmv. I still don't know which plugin I need to do this, can you tell me what plugin I need and where to get that?
Playing video from the web is a very browser and OS specific thing. Ensuring that the majority of your audience can view your content can be a challenge. It appears that you are using Firefox. It (Firefox, not CPG) needs to have a Widows Media plugin available. I don't do much at all with video, but I'm pretty sure that video formats other than WMV will be more browser friendly.

Perhaps others can chime in with some insight into posting video content in manners/formats that are more universally usable.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 06:19:25 pm »

I would suggest using mP4 as your video format of choice as that is compatible with more browsers, at least the modern ones.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_video.asp

Kawboy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 07:30:29 pm »

Thanks Ron and Phil, that helps. I will suggest to my Gallery users to format their videos in MP4 format if possible. I will also check in to see if FF has a plugin for windows viewer, and will check if the video works in IE which I haven't checked yet. Thanks guys again, really appreciate all your help!  :D

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 09:37:07 pm »

One of the issues with wmv is that it does not stream, the file has to be fully downloaded before it starts. This can lead to a long wait. MP4 should be much better.

Kawboy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 02:52:29 am »

Ron and Phil are right. The problem was with FireFox, I did not have the required plugin. As far as IE, I checked with that and the wmv files would play fine- although as Phil said there was a little wait until it started which may irritate some. I will encourage MP4 video formats. But, if you have to have your FireFox to be able to play wmv files, follow the directions on this page to check to see if you have the plugin already and just need to activate it, or if you don't have it, how to get it.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/play-windows-media-files-in-firefox

Thanks again everyone for your help. Since I originally posted the cannot play wmv files in another forum section, I'll repeat the directions above in case anyone in the future searches for that since I don't think there was a reply to that thread yet.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 08:14:30 pm »

You might want to try this alternate method to upload files.
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,75927.0.html

Ron, is there a reason why it works with the HTML5 uploader and failed with whichever upload method was used before? If no file size limits where exceeded, it should also work with the other upload methods.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.