Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing host, need to move two coppermine sites / DB  (Read 6732 times)

basyephoto

• Coppermine newbie
Changing host, need to move two coppermine sites / DB
« on: August 12, 2014, 03:40:30 pm »

For some reason GoDaddy changed their shared hosting website that will reset host connections after a period of time making longer coppermine photo uploads impossible.  I am looking for a new host and once selected I will need someone to assist in moving two of my existing websites that all they do is host a coppermine photo gallery with mySQL DB.  Both are current 1.5.28 or .30 version.  They are fairly large sites with multiple files, but I can assist in FTP the entire sites to the new host, I am just unsure of how to transfer the DB and reconfigure the site to connect to the new DB. 

They will keep the same domain name. 

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: Changing host, need to move two coppermine sites / DB
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 08:45:22 pm »

I'll be happy to teach you how to do it. When you have selected your new host reply here and I will assist. It is not hard moving a DB and we provide instructions in the docs on how but sometimes a few pointers from someone used to doing it saves a lot of the pain.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

basyephoto

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 09:35:01 pm »

I tried to look for some documentation, but could not find any specific to the task.  I am assuming backup and restore MySQL DB as well as copying all files / folders over would do most of it.. but I am also assuming you will need to reconfigure some files to point to the new DB (as it will have a different local host although I can create same username/password if I remeber it.. )

Do you have any recommendations for host to use?  GoDaddy does not post that they have these filters enabled and it only started a few months ago.. but they are saying they can not disable these filters for shared hosting.. would hate to go to a new host that has same issue..

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 09:50:13 pm »

Recommending a host really is difficult. Every country has great hosts and local support is a big part of choosing. In the UK I use Bytemark but they are not much good if for instance you are in Australia as for support it would be an expensive phone call at 3am.

As for moving host it is detailed here - http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/export.htm and there are many threads with details.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

gmc

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • GMC Design Photo Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 03:01:26 am »

A host with a good Control Panel will include 'migration' options that can ftp your old site directly to them (with proper credentials of course) saving the time/bandwidth of downloading / uploading everything yourself (and the direct connection is much faster...)

When looking at a new host, also look at space, bandwidth, file (inode) limits.
Many 'unlimited storage' hosts limit the total number of files - which limits your gallery size more than a storage limit.

I have used and recommend (personal recommendation) ICDSoft (www.icdsoft.com).
I have used them for over 10 years for a variety of sites and more than a few cpg galleries.
I am a 'reseller' for them, and offer a discount to cpg users. ($25 less than their direct price/year and 30 day money back guarantee)
See details at greggallery.gmcdesign.com...

Greg
Thanks!
Greg
My Coppermine Gallery
Need a web hosting account? See my gallery for an offer for CPG Forum users.
Send me money
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 19 queries.