Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: install.php MySQL error The server requested authentication method unknown  (Read 6161 times)

chikofsky

• Coppermine newbie

I am installing Coppermine on a MySQL database through an ISP, so I have to go through them for any global or root settings change.

When the Copermine installer (new or classic) goes to check the MySQL database identity, user, and password I typed, the response is:

Could not create a mySQL connection, please check the SQL values entered
MySQL error was : The server requested authentication method umknown to the client

The MySQL doc at https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/old-client.html says this is a mismatch between MySQL client and server versions that hits the change to longer password hashes. 

It suggests that I need to have my ISP login to my database with root privilege and, with appropriate substitutions, execute:
SET PASSWORD FOR 'some_user'@'some_host' = OLD_PASSWORD('newpwd');

PHPINFO says my client version is MySQL 5.0.10 – 20111026.
Running select version() in MySQL says 5.5.31.

Getting the ISP to act on a request like this in a timely way is a pain.  So, I want to be sure that what is suggested is reasonable and may actually solve the problem so I can proceed with the Coppermine install.

Has anyone encountered this before?  How did you solve it?  Is there another workaround?  Thanks!

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me

It really is something only the ISP can adjust. If you are running into problems with just the installer you are sure to hit more when you start using your gallery.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

allvip

• Coppermine addict

You are proabibly mistaking something.
Is best to create new database in your cpanel with a password and username and on the installer.php you use that database password and username.

Can you add more details?
You can also email me at allvip.us@gmail.com
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 07:10:48 pm by allvip »

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me

You are proabibly mistaking something.
Is best to create new database in your cpanel with a passord and on the installer.php you choose that database.

Can you add more details?
You can also email me at allvip.us@gmail.com

That often causes problems later on if the server setup is poor. Often seen during updates or when installing certain plugins.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

allvip

• Coppermine addict

OK.Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.