Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DELETE ORIGINAL IMAGE BACKUP FOR WATERMARKED IMAGES  (Read 6506 times)

haters

• Coppermine novice
DELETE ORIGINAL IMAGE BACKUP FOR WATERMARKED IMAGES
« on: May 23, 2014, 08:08:50 pm »

Hiya,

I don't really need the unwatermarked image of what I upload, as it just takes up space and is a pain to back up.

What option do I click to delete said images (WITHOUT the WATERMARK). And can I get it to delete the unwatermarked image afterwards?

I add files via batch add. I want to keep: thumbnails, normal (resized), real file name that it was upload with.jpg

EXAMPLE:
Save photo as xxx001.jpg to computer > upload to FTP > batch add > watermarks the xxx001.jpg and creates orig_xxx001.jpg (UNWATERMARKED) file as well as normal.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: DELETE ORIGINAL IMAGE BACKUP FOR WATERMARKED IMAGES
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:12:30 pm »

Currently that is not possible out of the box. You could do it manually. One of the reasons we recommend in the docs that images should be watermarked on the client side is because it is so resource intensive including using up hd space.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

allvip

• Coppermine addict
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 10:44:11 pm »

I use File - Admin tools - Delete original image backup for watermarked images.
It does work and deleted only orig_xxx001.jpg and still have xxx001.jpg,normal_xxx001.jpg and thumb_xxx001.jpg.
I uploaded the image with batch.

You can test it on only on album and then see if it acually deleted the image.Type in your browser your_domain_name/gallery/albums/you_folder_name/orig_xxx001.jpg

allvip

• Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 11:26:00 pm »

You will save even more disk space and will be ease to back up if you delete even normal_xxx001.jpg and keep only xxx001.jpg and thumb_xxx001.jpg.

Go to Config - File settings - uncheck Create intermediate pictures.
Go to Config - Image watermarking - Which files to watermark - select Original.
Go to FILE - Admin Tools - Delete intermediate pictures.

then use Images to fit users screen resolution and show full size on click:

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,76542.msg369162.html#msg369162

I use it on my gallery: http://allvip.us/gallery/displayimage.php?album=508&pid=20299#top_display_media
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 11:56:36 pm by allvip »

allvip

• Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 11:53:22 pm »

If you sell images is not save to keep the unwatermarked image on the server.User that know coppermine can always type your_domain_name/gallery/albums/you_folder_name/orig_xxx001.jpg and get the image without watermark.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 01:43:05 pm »

Indeed, that is why I am not a fan of the current watermark system as the files are easy to guess. In addition, the server load to add the watermarks then to manually remove the original files is too much for many. Far better to use an offline tool such a photoshop, irfan view or one of many others that can run a batch watermark before you upload.

haters

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 08:20:12 am »

You will save even more disk space and will be ease to back up if you delete even normal_xxx001.jpg and keep only xxx001.jpg and thumb_xxx001.jpg.

Go to Config - File settings - uncheck Create intermediate pictures.
Go to Config - Image watermarking - Which files to watermark - select Original.
Go to FILE - Admin Tools - Delete intermediate pictures.

then use Images to fit users screen resolution and show full size on click:

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,76542.msg369162.html#msg369162

Done your first solution on one of my albums and it did delete the orig_image.jpg which I wanted it to, so that helps out.
I'm too clear on what this but does though.

My gallery is setup like so:
Album page: thumbnails
Click the thumbnail and it takes you to the image (re-sized aka normal_image.jpg), click that and a popup comes up  and to view full size you need to right click > open in new tab.

So what your thing does is shows the image in a size that fits the users monitor/device? and when clicked it just shows the full size? So it doesn't create a normal_image.jpg file and only uses the thumb_image.jpg and xxxfilename.jpg?

I use it on my gallery: http://allvip.us/gallery/displayimage.php?album=508&pid=20299#top_display_media

allvip

• Coppermine addict
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 02:08:02 pm »

So what your thing does is shows the image in a size that fits the users monitor/device? and when clicked it just shows the full size? So it doesn't create a normal_image.jpg file and only uses the thumb_image.jpg and xxxfilename.jpg?

YES.

allvip

• Coppermine addict
Re: Re: DELETE ORIGINAL IMAGE BACKUP FOR WATERMARKED IMAGES
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 03:07:49 pm »

Indeed, that is why I am not a fan of the current watermark system as the files are easy to guess. In addition, the server load to add the watermarks then to manually remove the original files is too much for many. Far better to use an offline tool such a photoshop, irfan view or one of many others that can run a batch watermark before you upload.

Maybe it not so hard to make copermine have a third option: watermark and don't save a copy of the original.
To use photoshop is even better if the images are too big.This way you can optimize the image before uploading it.

allvip

• Coppermine addict
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 03:12:41 pm »

for haters

Another way to save disk space is Phill ideea to batch (all at once) watermark  images with a photo editor like photoshop or irfan view.This way you can reduce image size (optimize the image for web).WITH or WIHTOUT watermark is a very good ideea to otimize the image before you upload it.
Example:if an image has 1.40MB (1400KB) you can make it have 350KB and not loose quality.In photoshop you use FILE - SAVE FOR WEB and ajust settings to reduce image size.You can create an action with watermark and save for web and use it with the batch option to watermark and optimize all images at once.

You can optimize even the images that you already uploaded if you have all the images in your computer and then use FileZilla to overide all image on the sever (just image.jpg and normal_image.jpg not even thumb_image.jpg) with the new optimized images.You can optimize just image.jpg if you don't have normal_image.jpg in your computer.

This way you save disk space and the page will load faster and most important will consume less server resources.This way your host want say that your gallery eats to much resources (at some point when the gallery is too big and has too many  visitors they can say that your website takes to much bandwitch or to much from the server cpu).

IF YOU WANT TO OPTIMIZE the images I can tell you step by step how to use photoshop or ifran view.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:20:29 pm by allvip »

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 03:14:37 pm »

It isn't hard, but the tools are there to remove them, just you have to run them manually. We are considering a lot of things for 1.6 but this part has yet to be discussed.

allvip

• Coppermine addict
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 03:17:14 pm »

It isn't hard, but the tools are there to remove them

Yes but you said:In addition, the server load to add the watermarks then to manually remove the original files is too much for many.

allvip

• Coppermine addict
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 03:41:51 pm »

I just realized that if I use copermine to sell images the full size image will be under login and the orig_image.jpg has to be on the sever.

haters

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 11:42:04 am »

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it. I've gone through and deleted a bunch of orig_xxx.jpg files.

Irfan view doesn't work on Mac. If anyone has a tutorial on how to watermark a bunch of images (most are always different sizes) that'd be great for mac.

How would that work when it auto creates the tumbnails? Wouldn't it show like half the watermark or something?

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 12:14:44 pm »

There is a version of GIMP for the MAC that allows watermarking. I suggest you use a semi transparent watermark which will look good on all images sizes. Take a look at how the picture libraries do it for examples.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 02:05:24 pm »

Maybe it not so hard to make copermine have a third option: watermark and don't save a copy of the original.

No option, but a very easy mod. Open include/picmgmt.inc.php, find
Code: [Select]
clearstatcache();and above, add
Code: [Select]
@unlink($orig);
That new line could be wrapped in a hidden config option to avoid core code modification.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:11:21 pm by Αndré »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.