Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: editpics.php blank when 17+ images in album  (Read 3966 times)

Cylon-Knight

• Coppermine newbie
    • ByYourCommand.net
editpics.php blank when 17+ images in album
« on: April 20, 2014, 05:15:03 am »

Hello,

I'm the admin for http://www.byyourcommand.net/cylongallery/ and have run into a puzzler. My gallery is a stable install for a long time (several years) and just recently editpics.php goes blank when there are 17+ images in album. 1 to 16 images it works... 17+ the page goes blank (view source = nothing).

I've reviewed Coppermine documentation, FAQs, and searched this awesome forum many times but can't find any leads to troubleshoot this farther myself.

More info:
  • Upgraded to 1.5.28 today (from I believe .26) - hoping that would fix it, it did not.
  • I have no plug ins
  • I reset the site from my custom style to all 5 of the Coppermine standard styles (thinking my style may have an out of date bug). No help. Still have the same issue with every default style.
  • I thought perhaps the editpics.php was not correctly being overwritten via FileZilla upload. So I deleted it, confirmed it was gone by clicking Edit on an album and got a file not found error... uploaded a fresh 1.5.28 editpics.php and still, same blank error on albums of 17+ images.

As this only happens in the non-public admin editing mode of the site I've made three screen shots (attached) to help illustrate. Luckily visitors to the site don't run into the error... but I can't edit certain files as of now. YIKES!

Thank you for your time and any suggestions to try and help resolve this. AND thanks for a great system - LOVE Coppermine!
Old School, New School, Cylons Rule!

gmc

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • GMC Design Photo Gallery
Re: editpics.php blank when 17+ images in album
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 06:44:36 am »

In your config, turn on debug (at least for admin user), and try the failing page again.
You should get an error message as to what is actually failing.
http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/errors.htm#errors_unhandled
Post results.
Thanks!
Greg
My Coppermine Gallery
Need a web hosting account? See my gallery for an offer for CPG Forum users.
Send me money

Cylon-Knight

• Coppermine newbie
    • ByYourCommand.net
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 07:26:37 am »

Thank you for the tip gmc! I have never gone as deep as debugging before.

My results:
  • debug_mode = 1 ... still blank
  • debug_notice = 1 as well and I get a standard 500 Internal Server Error (below)
  • Extra F.Y.I. info: Web host php Version is: 5.5.32
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

:( Strange how the server can cope with 1-16 images, but 17+ it gives up only recently, used to work fine.
I see from the "Webserver response codes" documentation (Error 500) I need to contact the host for the info in the server's error log. Coppermine itself is functioning.

Again, thank you gmc. I'll post more results after contacting the Web Host so I can resolve my thread for future Coppermine users who are unlucky enough to hit this wall too.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 01:26:50 pm »

You will probably find your php limits have changed. Max execution time, memory limit and a few other settings could cause that. Maybe your host updated php, probably at the same time they upgraded open ssl and when they upgraded didn't reset some limits.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Cylon-Knight

• Coppermine newbie
    • ByYourCommand.net
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 04:36:04 am »

Phill, your suggestion was right on the money.

Here is my "lovely" error log entry direct from the host:
20140420T221255: www.byyourcommand.net/cylongallery/editpics.php
PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 4786507 bytes) in /hermes/waloraweb011/b1993/pow.cylondale/htdocs/cylongallery/include/plugin_api.inc.php on line 666
(^ The error was on line "666" - YIKES!? - lol) :o

The host has asked for admin access and how to repeat the error... If they want to bother, I guess, okay. Just seems they need to allow more memory. As I noted the edit function used to work fine. I think they probably did tinker with things and lowered the setting (or left a default setting) as you noted, Phill.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep you posted on the next round of info from the host. One step closer to resolved.

Cylon-Knight

• Coppermine newbie
    • ByYourCommand.net
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 05:40:40 am »

Good news... Resolved!
It was in fact a change the web host had made to my php.ini file - memory limit - without my knowledge.
The limit is now increased and editpics.php runs as it should (and did before this drama started). I have no trouble selecting edit on albums with 17+ images (tested up to 145 images).

The php.ini now reads:
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Resource Limits ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

max_execution_time = 120     ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
max_input_time = 60   ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
memory_limit = 128M      ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (8MB)

@gmc and Phill - thank you again. Your tips helped me learn some great new troubleshooting knowledge and resolve my issue. Also, many thanks to the full Coppermine development team too for a wonderful, rock solid gallery!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.