Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IS there a practical limit on file numbers in Coppermine?  (Read 3514 times)

Russ_

• Coppermine regular visitor
IS there a practical limit on file numbers in Coppermine?
« on: January 31, 2014, 01:40:30 am »

Si I have 17,626 files in 167 albums and 13 categories (gallery in sig below). I don't upload large files, but that probably doesn't affect database performance much anyway. So I'm wondering, is there a practical limit for the number of files one has in their Coppermine Photo Gallery? Do things start slowing down too much at any stage so that one should start removing files?

I certainly don't think I've reached that stage, but I am curious, and want to be prepared if such a state was about to be reached.

Thank you.

gmc

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • GMC Design Photo Gallery
Re: IS there a practical limit on file numbers in Coppermine?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 04:40:42 am »

I think Coppermine is capable of much larger galleries - it will more be a function of your webhost in either handling the number of files, total size of files, and concurrent traffic based on how busy your gallery is.
As I've been looking at code, areas like catmgr (categories) are written/tested to handle hundreds of categories. Of course albums and pics go up from there.

My largest gallery is almost 29,000 pics, and I have no concerns with growth.
http://greggallery.gmcdesign.com
(28,735 files in 164 albums and 31 categories)

My current webhost allows a total of 500,000 files... CPG has at least 2 files for each pic (thumb and regular). With this I can go over 200,000 pics.. If I were to keep intermediate and full size... Or original (pre-watermark), the numbers would change of course.
I don't consider my site 'high traffic' so no concerns there.
Of course I can upgrade my hosting if/when I reach those limits.
Thanks!
Greg
My Coppermine Gallery
Need a web hosting account? See my gallery for an offer for CPG Forum users.
Send me money

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:54:03 am »

My personal gallery currently has about 85,000 pictures and it works well. I've also seen galleries with several 100,000 files. Depending on your server performance viewing some meta albums could slow down your gallery. You can check database query time in the debug output. There are already some threads (and if I remember correctly also some information in the docs), how to improve performance. Of course this means to turn off some features.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 12:14:22 pm »

I remember a few years back we had a gallery shown on here with nearly 1 million images. Joachim advised on some adjustments to help improve certain elements and the user also had some custom modifications in place as his server was running out of inodes.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Russ_

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 04:51:35 am »

Great, thanks for the reassuring replies. :)
I've just moved to an unlimited storage plan with my host, so was curious as to how feasible it would be to let my numbers grow much more - obviously nothing to worry about just yet then!

lurkalot

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
  • +Tinyportal Support team.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 01:26:18 pm »

Great, thanks for the reassuring replies. :)
I've just moved to an unlimited storage plan with my host, so was curious as to how feasible it would be to let my numbers grow much more - obviously nothing to worry about just yet then!

You do know there's no such thing as "Unlimited" they usually catch you on something.  ;)  Check to see if your host doesn't impose some ridiculously low inode limits on your shared plan.  Over a certain amount they might stop backing up your files, and worse shut you down.  If it's a decent host then you should be fine for quite some time.
Running SMF 2.1.4  / Tinyportal 3.0.0, bridged with Coppermine 1.6.25, plus cpmfetch 2.0.0

sharpo

• Coppermine frequent poster
Re: Re: IS there a practical limit on file numbers in Coppermine?
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 10:08:16 pm »

You do know there's no such thing as "Unlimited" they usually catch you on something.  ;)  Check to see if your host doesn't impose some ridiculously low inode limits on your shared plan.  Over a certain amount they might stop backing up your files, and worse shut you down.  If it's a decent host then you should be fine for quite some time.
That is a sensible comment. I was caught out by "unlimited" a few years ago, when my host advised me that my inodes exceeded 100,000.

I had never heard of inodes before, but they are files, and one of my coppermine galleries had about 25,000 images which, allowing for thumbs & intermediates, plus coppermine software files, amounted to around 80,000 files. Another gallery had around 10,000 images & I was way over their limit.
Sharpo (not an expert, just a Coppermine user)
3 live galleries, first started in 2006.
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/BB3cpg/ with over 8,000 images.
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/cpg/ with over 25,000 images. 1.6.25
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/kc/ with over 300 images. 1.6.25

lurkalot

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
  • +Tinyportal Support team.
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 10:59:22 pm »

I'm currently at 68042 out of the recommended 250,000 inodes on one of my so called "unlimited hosting" plans.

This is how it works, see screenshot attached.
Running SMF 2.1.4  / Tinyportal 3.0.0, bridged with Coppermine 1.6.25, plus cpmfetch 2.0.0

gmc

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • GMC Design Photo Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 05:45:30 am »

well, that gives you 32,000 inodes to have your own means of backup for you files, as they will stop doing so at 100,000
(always a good idea to have your own means anyway... In case something happens to your isp...)

inodes are not just files, though that would be the largest component. Folders, mail messages on the server, and symlinks all use inodes.
Thanks!
Greg
My Coppermine Gallery
Need a web hosting account? See my gallery for an offer for CPG Forum users.
Send me money
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.