Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inject an ad spot in place of image every X images  (Read 2782 times)

Rowdy

• Coppermine newbie
Inject an ad spot in place of image every X images
« on: December 30, 2013, 09:05:27 pm »

I am using picture navigation with intermediate images as the main way to browse a photo gallery. What I would like to figure out is how to inject an ad spot IN PLACE of an intermediate image, every X images and/or perhaps at the end of the gallery. So if I chose every 5th image, you would see photos 1 - 4, then the next would take you to an ad display, then the next would take you to image 5 and so on. I would not use this for Adsense, but for other networks or banners or local promotions.

I also welcome suggestions for the gallery and the site.
http://lesharorv.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=10&pid=28#top_display_media

Rowdy

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Inject an ad spot in place of image every X images
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 03:41:51 am »

I have found some success. I found access to the PID variable by assigning it in theme.php before the EOT:

$pid = $superCage->get->getInt('pid');  read more

and then referencing it from the template within javascript that toggles display from none to block and then running the ad code below.

if ({$pid} % 5 === 0) {
 var mydiv = document.getElementById('adbox');
    mydiv.style.display = 'block'
  }

If the above is true, and javascript is enabled, the ad spot will display every 5 photos. If javascript is disabled, the DIV stays display:none;
This ad spot is much better than something to the side of the photo. And I am not going to use Adsense here as there is rarely context for the bots. I can do some additional magic and cycle through other ad networks and even my own ad spots. I have found a lot of success on my niche sites by displaying related ebay and amazon products. So I typically random cycle through keyword lists of search terms.

Definitely interested in peoples thoughts on this. I am surprised there is no plugin yet to do this sort of thing, perhaps without javascript.

http://lesharorv.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=10&pid=25#top_display_media

gmc

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • GMC Design Photo Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 05:20:45 am »

I followed your link, and scrolled thru the 35 pictures.
I received a pop-up ad over photos 1,5,9,11,20,24,25 - then nothing thru 35.

Personally I would have left the site by photo 11 - after having to close 4 windows that took much longer to load than normal pages, and 3 of the 4 ads (and more on later pages) trying to sell me the same 2 products I already bought from that vendor in the last two weeks.

But I dislike pop up ads...  :D - see what others say.
Thanks!
Greg
My Coppermine Gallery
Need a web hosting account? See my gallery for an offer for CPG Forum users.
Send me money

Rowdy

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 05:42:44 am »

I think of it as an experiment for now. Nobody likes popups of course. I can tweak the numbers higher and could also look at different formats such as a leaderboard across the bottom perhaps. I am wondering if there is any good way to monetize a photo gallery really. I suspect those using adsense on every photo arent adding positively to their adsense stats.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 19 queries.