Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: keyword mgr link  (Read 6286 times)

brynn

• Coppermine frequent poster
    • Inkscape Commmunity
keyword mgr link
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:35:01 am »

Hi Friends,
I have a relatively new CPG, bridged with SMF and Tiny Portal.  I'm having a little bit of an issue with keywords.  Everyone who has uploaded images so far thinks keywords are used to attract search engines, so that their images can be found by people using those words in internet search engines.  Some of them have entered 6, 8, even 10 keywords for each image!

So my first comment is sort of a feature request.  Could the CPG keyword feature be called somethine else?

I've just posted a message in the forum about the use of keywords, although I doubt that many people will delete all their keywords.  So I enabled clickable keywords in search, so that I can easily access the Keyword Manager and delete them myself.  Here's the problem!

If I type url/cpg/keywordmgr.php the Keyword Manager opens.  However, if I click on Media/File Settings > Keyword Manager, I get a 404 Not Found error.  It says url/cpg/keywordmgr.php is not found on this server.  But as I said, if I type  url/cpg/keywordmgr.php into the browser address, it opens just fine!

Thus my question:  What does the 404 not found error mean, when I can open the page by typing the same url into the browser address?  How can I make the Keyword Manager link work, so that I don't have to type it in every time?

I'm not sure what kind of info you might need.  I'm using Firefox...  Ok, let me go and see if it works in IE....  No, the same problem with IE11.  Anyway, let me know what kind of info you might need to solve this.

Thank you very much   :)

PS -- OH!!  I just found the problem, lol!  When I click Media/File Settings > Keyword manager, it's trying to open a different url.  It's trying to open url/cpg/keyword.php instead of keywordmgr.php.  So that's the problem!

But I still don't know how to solve it.  I would guess that I need to edit a file somewhere, but I don't know which one.

Thanks again   :D

brynn

• Inkscape Commmunity
Re: keyword mgr link
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 11:53:36 am »

And another related question about keywords.  If I understand correctly, keywords are used for searching locally in the gallery (as long as that option is enabled in config).  What I'm not clear about, if those keywords attract internet search engines.  Or in other words, do keywords work like search tags in the gallery AND in internet searches?  Or only in the local gallery?

Thanks again  :)

PS - I wanted to edit this topic title to be "keywords and keyword mgr link", but unfortunately, editing messages is apparently not allowed here.

brynn

• Inkscape Commmunity
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 11:48:04 am »

Since no one has answered this in the last few days, I have to think I've said something wrong.  Maybe keywords are supposed to be used to attract search engines.  I really don't know.

But the bottom line is that when I click the Keyword Manager link in the menu, I get a server error.  And the reason I get the server error is because the link is wrong.  The link goes to ....keyword.php instead of keywordmgr.php.

Would someone please tell me which file needs to be edited to fix that? 

Or is it a known bug, or something like that, where we just have to type in the address bar to get to the Keywork Manager, until it gets fixed?

Thanks again  :)

Niecher

• LocalSupporter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 05:38:40 pm »

The link goes to keyword.php file in all your themes or only one of them?

Regards.

brynn

• Inkscape Commmunity
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 08:20:05 pm »

Yes, only 1, the default theme.

Niecher

• LocalSupporter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 08:55:46 pm »

Edit theme.php file, and find the line 284. Change the link href="keyword.php".

Regards.

brynn

• Inkscape Commmunity
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 09:08:23 pm »

Aahhh, love the easy fixes!

Thanks, Niecher  :)

brynn

• Inkscape Commmunity
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 05:22:03 pm »

Sorry to resurrect.

I still am confused a little bit about keywords.  Are they used only for putting 1 image in more than 1 album, and local searching?  Or do they also attract internet search engines (sort of like seo)?

So for example, if a member adds 12 keywords to 1 image, and there are no albums with matching keywords, are those 12 words only useful for local searches of the gallery?  Do they have any effect with internet search engines?

Thanks for your patience with my endless newbie questions  :)

Niecher

• LocalSupporter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 01:34:39 am »

Yes, they are usefull for searching the gallery and search engines.

Regards.

brynn

• Inkscape Commmunity
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 08:02:54 am »

Hhmmm, so doesn't that create a lot of potential conflicts, in a gallery where member uploads are allowed?  Maybe I'm still misunderstanding the keywords.

My gallery is to display images created with the vector graphic software called Inkscape.  Here's an example.  It's a particularly useful software for coloring line drawings, or cartoons.  What if I were to have 2 members who draw cartoons, and who both want to use the word "cartoon" in their keywords.  Let's say that one of them actually has an album named "cartoons" and uses "cartoons" to link all their cartoon drawings into that album.  But they don't really want other artists drawings in their album.

As an admin, how can that be managed?  Because, I guarantee (for another example) that a whole lot of members will want to use the word "vector" as keywords.  But there could also be people who use Inkscape with raster graphics, who may want to have an album named vector and/or use the word "vector" to link images to that album, and not want everyone else's images which happen to have the keyword "vector" attached to them, in their album.

Thanks for your patience  :)

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 01:25:34 pm »

Album keyword is an admin-only feature. Regular users cannot set album keywords.

brynn

• Inkscape Commmunity
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 03:49:35 am »

Hhmmm....  Oh ok yes, I see that any keyword that is set by a non-admin does not show up in the Keyword Manager.  But regular users still have Album Keyword field in Album Properties.  It can be filled out and saved (Update Album) and appears to be functional for non-admins, as far as the non-admin can tell.  So you can see why I didn't realize album keyword is only for admins.  Maybe it would be better if that field either does not show up for non-admin Alb.Prop. or is grayed out (or otherwise doesn't function/can't be filled out)?

I guess that eliminates a lot of potential conflicts, but not all.  As an admin, let's say a couple of years from now, I decide I want to set up a public album for cartoons, for example (and which I do plan to do, at some point in the future), I would not only have to delete "cartoons" from everyone that uses it, using Keyword Manager.  I would also somehow need a way to prevent others from using "cartoons" on newly uploaded images, or from replacing it when they notice it's been deleted, if they did not want their image in that album.

Any tips?

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 09:10:18 am »

any keyword that is set by a non-admin does not show up in the Keyword Manager
That's not true.

regular users still have Album Keyword field in Album Properties.  It can be filled out and saved (Update Album) and appears to be functional for non-admins, as far as the non-admin can tell.  So you can see why I didn't realize album keyword is only for admins.  Maybe it would be better if that field either does not show up for non-admin Alb.Prop. or is grayed out (or otherwise doesn't function/can't be filled out)?
Sorry, my mistake. You can enable/disable that feature for non-admins in the config (Allow users to assign album keywords). It was disabled in my gallery, so I mistakenly thought it's an admin-only feature.

I guess that eliminates a lot of potential conflicts, but not all.  As an admin, let's say a couple of years from now, I decide I want to set up a public album for cartoons, for example (and which I do plan to do, at some point in the future), I would not only have to delete "cartoons" from everyone that uses it, using Keyword Manager.  I would also somehow need a way to prevent others from using "cartoons" on newly uploaded images, or from replacing it when they notice it's been deleted, if they did not want their image in that album.
Not sure why you want to prevent others from using specific keywords, or why this is so important for you. I suggest to re-read the docs what the album keyword feature is at all. You don't need to use it, if you don't need it.

By the way, we have a "one question per thread" rule. Additionally, your initial issue has been already solved, so please mark your thread accordingly.

brynn

• Inkscape Commmunity
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 02:05:05 pm »

Quote from: Andre
By the way, we have a "one question per thread" rule. Additionally, your initial issue has been already solved, so please mark your thread accordingly.

I apologize.  Sometimes it's hard to know when a related question should be made separately, or is part of the original question.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.