Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Critical error: unable to connect to UDB database  (Read 21194 times)

treehstn

• Coppermine frequent poster
Re: Critical error: unable to connect to UDB database
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 07:50:20 pm »

A new piece of troubleshooting data:

I was working with a clean domain on my hosting account and was using it just for testing whether or not there are configuration issues with my hostgator account.  When I tried to install 1.4 on that account it could not find my database.  It was the same issue I'm having on the domain above that I'm trying to fix.  I deleted all the 1.4 files and tried 1.5.  It installed the first time with zero issues!  Using the same database and login information that I had tried before!  It seems that there is some issue with my hostgator account and 1.4.  I wouldn't have any idea how to ask them the correct questions to get it fixed and I really don't want to take the time with them.  I'd rather fix this on my own and get back to working on my site. So...

I found this thread on the forum:  http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,74585.msg359080.html#msg359080

I'm in a similar situation as the poster on that thread.  On my main domain I can't access coppermine at all so I can't do a normal upgrade from 1.4 to 1.5.  I'd like to try what is suggested, loading the 1.5 files and then running update.php.  My question is...

I'm assuming that the 1.5 files should be in a separate directory from the 1.4 files and then I run update.php from the 1.5 directory?

Is my logic correct that this might be the best way to go?

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 08:11:51 pm »

Have you downloaded the database and files to your local machine as suggested earlier for testing there to make sure everything is in place and working? Check the link for WAMP I supplied and you will be able to do the whole test in minutes. If it does prove to be a hosting problem and you know it works with 1.5 then it is simple for you to upgrade locally then restore to your live hosting.

If you don't want to do that then just say so as this is the third time I have mentioned it in this thread. I am aware some versions of hostgator have problems which is why I am asking you, again.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

treehstn

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 08:23:22 pm »

Phill... I tried that but there were lots of error messages with WAMP that I just don't know how to fix.  Here are the messages:

A newer version of phpMyAdmin is available and you should consider upgrading. The newest version is 4.0.8, released on 2013-10-06.
The phpMyAdmin configuration storage is not completely configured, some extended features have been deactivated. To find out why click here.
Your configuration file contains settings (root with no password) that correspond to the default MySQL privileged account. Your MySQL server is running with this default, is open to intrusion, and you really should fix this security hole by setting a password for user 'root'.

It was pretty obvious when I was trying to get that to work that using a webserver (even a local one) is just over my head. Sorry that I didn't give that information sooner!

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2013, 09:39:58 pm »

Honesty, those errors are little to worry about. WAMP is a simple install and it is done affair. Sorry but there is not too much more we can do to help. You will need to speak to your host or find someone who can access your hosting and help.

treehstn

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2013, 09:54:06 pm »

I tried before to just import my database into the WAMP server and it won't work.  This is what the interface says about file size:

Browse your computer:(Max: 2,048KiB)

My database is 174MB so when I try to import it says it's too large.  It says:  You probably tried to upload too large file. Please refer to documentation for ways to workaround this limit.

The documentation link says:

1.16 I cannot upload big dump files (memory, HTTP or timeout problems).

Starting with version 2.7.0, the import engine has been re–written and these problems should not occur. If possible, upgrade your phpMyAdmin to the latest version to take advantage of the new import features.

The first things to check (or ask your host provider to check) are the values of upload_max_filesize, memory_limit and post_max_size in the php.ini configuration file. All of these three settings limit the maximum size of data that can be submitted and handled by PHP. One user also said that post_max_size and memory_limit need to be larger than upload_max_filesize.

There exist several workarounds if your upload is too big or your hosting provider is unwilling to change the settings:

Look at the $cfg['UploadDir'] feature. This allows one to upload a file to the server via scp, ftp, or your favorite file transfer method. PhpMyAdmin is then able to import the files from the temporary directory. More information is available in the Configuration section of this document.
    Using a utility (such as BigDump) to split the files before uploading. We cannot support this or any third party applications, but are aware of users having success with it.
    If you have shell (command line) access, use MySQL to import the files directly. You can do this by issuing the "source" command from within MySQL: source filename.sql.

It was at this point that I was uncomfortable trying to figure out sql commands to try to get this to work.  I'm not trying to be difficult... I just don't know enough about these technologies (sql and webservers) to understand what changes need to be made to get this to work. 

It looked to me like the option in the thread I posted was viable but I don't want to mess up my install any more than it already is.  And when you are saying I should talk to my host I don't even know what to ask them!  If I just tell them that this program that I loaded on my hosting space doesn't work they are just going to tell me to contact the program's support people.  I'd have to know what specifically to ask them about.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2013, 10:44:17 pm »

It seems you have a very old version of WAMP because the latest version comes with phpmyadmin 3.4.5

treehstn

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2013, 10:57:23 pm »

I just downloaded it... had never heard of the program before.  I'll go find a newer version and try that.  Thanks!

treehstn

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2013, 11:31:53 pm »

I just went to http://www.wampserver.com/en/ and then to their download link.  I installed from the button that says "WAMP Server (64 bits & PHP 5.4) 2.4.

I installed it and logged into the phpmyadmin.  When I try to import the database I get the same message as before.  The file is too big.

treehstn

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2013, 06:32:26 am »

After struggling with trying to figure how to get my gallery updated from 1.4 to 1.5 I made the decision to move the domain off of hostgator since I've been having other issues with the host anyway.

Going back over the notes and suggestions here I've figured out this much:

1.  I still have not been able to get the gallery itself to load in a browser. 
2.  I did figure out how to export/import large db files in phpmyadmin.
3.  The gallery would not load in the WAMP server.  I'm attaching a photo of what the browser looks like when trying to load the gallery. (I'm not convinced this is a good troubleshooting step since it's introducing a whole other level of complexity working with the db in a different environment.)

At this point I moved my domain to a different hosting company.

1.  I loaded the coppermine directory and the database exactly as it was on hostgator.  I was still not able to load the gallery.  I had the same error messages as before, as if it couldn't connect to the database even though I knew all the login information was correct.
2.  I tried uploading the 1.5 files and ran the update.php script.  It ran!!  But after it ran I still cannot view the gallery.  Here is the error message I'm getting now:

Notice: Undefined offset: 8192 in /mounted-storage/home81b/sub001/sc44840-OTZJ/glassresearch.net/coppermine/include/debugger.inc.php on line 112

It seems like I'm back to square one?  I still can't access the gallery.  If it's a problem with the hosting I still haven't been given any advice on what to ask the hosting company about.  I don't know what the hosting might have to do with the issue.

I can't find any information on the forum about what someone can do if their files or database are corrupted.  Not that I know for sure corruption is the issue.  Isn't there instructions somewhere about making a clean install of the most current version of coppermine and then importing the tables with user data into them?  If it is corruption how is that fixed?

Here is a link to the gallery:  http://www.glassresearch.net/coppermine/

Thank you!

treehstn

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2013, 06:37:40 am »

I also was able to get SMF to load:   http://www.glassresearch.net/smf/
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.