Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion for CPG  (Read 6389 times)

pols1337

• Coppermine frequent poster
Suggestion for CPG
« on: October 01, 2013, 08:34:14 pm »

Some random suggestions for future CPG
1)  Theme Customization -- In the Config, allow an option to A) upload and change the logo B) upload and change the favicon. 
2)  Anycontent.php -- In the Config, allow a person to directly write and save the anycontent.php, including permissions.

Joel

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: Suggestion for CPG
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 11:48:53 pm »

Personally I think those items would just bulk up the code where not really needed. Take the logo for instance, it is something you only change once in most cases. To do that is often just a matter of replacing an image. However, sometimes you may wish to resize its container then a couple of css adjustments are needed. While it would be possible to add code for both it would also mean that theme developers would need to be quite strict in many areas of their theme development so from my POV it would not be the best of ideas. If you look at most CMS packages their template designers often take the same view.

As for anycontent, surely if a developer is knowledgeable enough to create such code they also have the skills to upload a file via ftp and set its permissions?
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

pols1337

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 08:10:28 am »

As for anycontent, surely if a developer is knowledgeable enough to create such code they also have the skills to upload a file via ftp and set its permissions?

It's not for developers.  It's for everyday users, who use anycontent to write a guest message or welcome message and who don't know how to code in permissions structures. 

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 10:10:31 am »

I also don't second both ideas. If somebody is able to upload and install Coppermine to his server, he should also be able to modify a simple file. You don't need coding skills to do that. Alternatively there's still the MiniCMS plugin.

pols1337

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 06:30:49 am »

Install Coppermine = drag and drop in FileZilla with a nice GUI wizard to guide you through.  Absolutely no technological knowledge involved.

Writing anycontent.php = writing code in PHP, not even HTML.  And remember, yes I did need to ask for help to figure out how to make the message only appear to guests. 

MiniCMS = plugin, which means may or may not be compatible or supported with future Coppermine versions

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 03:29:21 pm »

Writing anycontent.php = writing code in PHP, not even HTML.
That's not true. An anycontent.php file with just HTML like
Code: [Select]
<h1>foo</h1><p>bar</p>or even plain text like
Code: [Select]
foo barworks without an issue.

I did need to ask for help to figure out how to make the message only appear to guests. 
I don't understand how a built-in editor would have helped you to solve that issue. As I already said: somebody who's able to install (or more important: maintain) a Coppermine gallery is also able to edit a file.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.