Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coppermine is the gallery solution for my particular setup?  (Read 2505 times)

pmhail

• Coppermine newbie
Coppermine is the gallery solution for my particular setup?
« on: April 24, 2013, 05:51:13 pm »

My home network design is:
1. Linux (Debian) NAS server with following active roles:
- Samba, Plex Media Server, Transmission, FTP, SSH, Apache, MySQL
2. 3 PC (Windows 8)
3. 1 Media Player (Windows 7) + Plex Media Center
4. 1 Linux based Media Player with DVD interface (without browser)

My pictures are stored on Linux NAS server on folder, shared read only for internal clients.

My needs are:
I want to install an web gallery software to provide access to my pictures for my distant family.
I don't want to duplicate my pictures for publishing to Coppermine.
I want to keep my original pictures read only and not store thumbnails and resized pictures to original pictures folder.

I want to know if Coopermine is the right solution for me?
Thank you in advance and sorry for my poor English.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Coppermine is the gallery solution for my particular setup?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 10:48:46 am »

I want to know if Coopermine is the right solution for me?
I don't think so, as Coppermine creates thumbnails and (depending on your gallery setup) intermediate-sized versions of your original pictures.

alvin

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Coppermine is the gallery solution for my particular setup?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 12:38:27 pm »

I have these exact requirements (i wonder how many others there are with them). I even went through the arduous task of evaluating most (if not all) of the top gallery software listed on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_photo_gallery_software). All seemed to fall short somewhere. For coppermine, the challenge was keeping the thumbnails in a separate directory and keeping the original file unchanged (even when rotating). I managed to overcome the first by doing the following steps:

1. Mirror my picture directory via symbolic links to the image (linux-only).
   The command: cp -rs <original image directory> "<coppermine directory>/albums/>"
2. Set permissions
    On images, ensure that coppermine server CANNOT modify the images. On apache, ensure that user www-data cannot modify
    On directories, set owner to coppermine process. On apache, chown -R www-data:www-data "<coppermine directory>/albums/>"
3. Install and run the mass_import plugin
You will still have the challenge of adding and importing new images added to the image directory. (I plan on writing a script to identify and import the differences)

I never was able to fully overcome the second issue. :( I wish Coppermine was able to do something like TinyWebGallery, who store rotated images as a separate file within a cache, which can be rebuilt, deleted, or updated.

Because I have over 40K images and want a professional interface and the software to always work, I still chose Coppermine over Gallery 3 and TinyWebGallery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.