Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Physical Memory Usage  (Read 4267 times)

Niecher

• LocalSupporter
  • Coppermine frequent poster
Physical Memory Usage
« on: February 23, 2013, 11:40:52 am »

I have two questions:

• How much physical memory can consume coppermine gallery on the server? I mean to say in default mode or normal performance.
  • What do you advise, MyISAM or InnoDB?

thank you very much

Original Post

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
Re: Physical Memory Usage
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 03:26:27 pm »

Not quite sure what you mean by "How much memory" as that depends on so many things it is hard to quantify. Different server setups use different amounts to run the same application then you have so many other variables to take into account. Even 2 images of the same dimensions can use different memory amounts to process. If this question is about hosting then some hosts (Such as Bytemark who kindly host this site for us - http://www.bytemark.co.uk/) sell their virtual server packages based on memory per customer and 256kb is all that is needed for a low traffic VPS running 4 CPG installs on 4 domains.

Your second question that is better answered by Google as is is not a simple answer.

As you speak Spanish and English so well we have had a request from a user to place a sticky on the Spanish forums advising Spanish visitors that we currently have no moderator and that if they do not get a response to post in the English or German forums. It would be fantastic if you could write something simple up for us that we could add as a stick. Sadly our old moderator, Fabri, has not visited for a very long time.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Niecher

• LocalSupporter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 05:48:18 pm »

I found this on google:

"If we need transactions, foreign keys and locks, we have to choose InnoDB. Instead, we choose MyISAM in those cases in which predominate SELECT queries to database."

"MySQL InnoDB gives a transactional storage engine (ACID compliant) capabilities commit (confirmation), rollback (cancellation) and failover. InnoDB does locking on row level and also provides functions consistent non-locking read Oracle style in SELECT statements. These features increase performance and the ability to manage multiple simultaneous users. No need for lock escalation in InnoDB because row level locks take up very little space. InnoDB also supports FOREIGN KEY constraints. in SQL Query even within the same query can freely mix InnoDB type tables with other tables. "

I can choose the storage engine in my database, then what is the best option for coppermine gallery?

As you speak Spanish and English so well we have had a request from a user to place a sticky on the Spanish forums advising Spanish visitors that we currently have no moderator and that if they do not get a response to post in the English or German forums. It would be fantastic if you could write something simple up for us that we could add as a stick. Sadly our old moderator, Fabri, has not visited for a very long time.

I actually use the English translator of google.

But yes, I can write a sticky in Spanish. I'll open a thread in the Spanish forum and you turn that into a sticky thread.

Niecher

• LocalSupporter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:05:27 pm »

I made the post, but edit the title by mistake I put copperpine.  ::)

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,76032.0.html

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 07:32:03 pm »

I made the post, but edit the title by mistake I put copperpine.  ::)

http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,76032.0.html
Corrected typo, set sticky. Thank you!

Regarding the MySQL engine, as far as I know Coppermine doesn't use any InnoDB specific commands, so I don't know if there's a benefit if you use it instead of MyISAM.

Niecher

• LocalSupporter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 08:11:08 pm »

Thank you André.

I asked this question about the storage engine of the database, because when I installed coppermine gallery some time ago the storage engine of the database was the default MyISAM and all the tables were created in this type.

Lately on my server, they are making many changes and one of them is the default storage engine is now InnoDB.

For example if I do a fresh install of coppermine now, in a new database, all tables are created InnoDB.

Then I thought that perhaps this difference could be important.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 09:00:21 pm »

Many thanks for your Spanish message, that is a great help.

As for the change I would not worry about it. We have seen many sites with the hosts running both. As long ad the host set things up well it is unlikely you will notice any difference.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.