Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: moving Galleries to a new server  (Read 4644 times)

lamama

• Contributor
  • Coppermine frequent poster
moving Galleries to a new server
« on: July 02, 2004, 11:23:21 pm »

Maybe this is a little bit offtopic, but I dare to ask because itīs somehow coppermine-related ;-)

I have a new webspace/server with Coppermine 1.3 installed and running.

I have several existing galleries on other servers/webspaces that I want to transfer to the new server.

I have admin rights on the new server and ftp-access to the old galleries.

Has anyone a clue/idea/script/tool that transfers the files from existing webspace to the new location? 
Without downloading them to my PC and uploading them again?

(if this has been asked and answerd before: I havent found it!)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 12:58:00 pm by GauGau »

ahreno

• Coppermine newbie
Re: moving Galleries to a new server
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 08:37:04 pm »

yeah actually.... it's called FXP'ing.  Not all servers support it though.  check out flashfxp (google for it) it lets you log in to both ftp accounts and send between the two without actually going to your computer first. 

TerryG

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 12:51:19 am »

Hey Lamama...

I'm doing the same thing (changing servers and also changing domain names) since we outgrew our old disk allocation and our old webhost want to charge us an arm & a leg for adequate space.

Did you find the thread "switching servers"?  There's some useful info there.

I could not get FXP to work, nor will my hosts allow me shell/telnet/ssh access to the servers, because if they did I would TAR my old site, FTP it, and then UNTAR it in order to preserve the directory structure (and more importantly) the file & directory permissions.

I'm not sure what effect FTP'ing everything to my PC and then uploading them will do to the permissions, but I'm about to find out!

I don't really mind having the files on my PC, since I need to do a GREP (search & replace) in order to replace all references to the old domain with the new domain name. 

Good luck with your move!

Terry

cryogenic

• Tester
  • Coppermine regular visitor
    • the cynic says...
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 03:50:15 am »

If you have ssh access, you can use wget to transfer them site-to-site as well. As noted above, you could tar them and then just xfer the tar file and untar it on your new server. That's about the best I can think of aside from downloading and uploading.

TerryG

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 12:35:19 am »

Well, we have succesfully moved webhosts and changed domain names.  Here are some lessons learned in the process:

1.  NEVER use any FTP transfer mode other than binary.
2.  If you have access to a *NIX box, use it as the intermediary, otherwise you will be very screwed as your file permissions get totally mucked up by windows.  FTP (download) to *NIX then FTP (upload) to your new site.

If you DO NOT have access to a *NIX box, you may find these tools very useful (I did)
   a)  FlashFXP is an FTP tool that will do recursive CHMODs
   b)  VoyagerFTP is an FTP tool that will allow you to find all files changed since a certain date

Good luck

Terry

cryogenic

• Tester
  • Coppermine regular visitor
    • the cynic says...
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 10:31:45 am »

Yeah.... If you have ssh access to the box to which you which to transfer the files, wget or even ftp would work wonderfully. Having ssh access on both ends would probably work best, as you could tar the files and keep permissions intact, then wget from one to the other. Bzip might even be another option as it would reduce the bandwidth used during transfer by a fair amount.

lamama

• Contributor
  • Coppermine frequent poster
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 08:25:12 pm »

Short time after asking the question I found the very simple answer in wget. ::) I used wget and it worked fine. It just took some time to set the right permissions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.