Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Allowing group management in bridging  (Read 7357 times)

Cyrolancer

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
Allowing group management in bridging
« on: July 26, 2012, 02:41:07 pm »

Greetings!

I am working on the CPG LDAP Bridge and I try to update it regularly. For now, I am trying to understand how groups work. I have several questions about the group management.

1. What is "post based groups"? How they work? What will happen when I enable it under LDAP bridge?
2. Is there any way to enable CPG's own group management while using LDAP bridge? I am willing to write any kind of code to make this happen :)

Thanks

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Allowing group management in bridging
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 08:18:05 pm »

What is "post based groups"?
That are the groups that exist in your "board software".

What will happen when I enable it under LDAP bridge?
I don't know. Give it a try.

Is there any way to enable CPG's own group management while using LDAP bridge?
What exactly do you want to manage? You have to assign groups in the application you bridged to.

Cyrolancer

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 08:36:21 pm »

LDAP is not a board software, of course. It is a protocol that you access a database of records, such as email address and phone number. You can use LDAP to bypass the ordinary login system of CPG and redirect all login attempts to the LDAP server. Every software in the world can use LDAP to manage user authentication, and also store some hierarchical data (phone number, address, email etc.).

Using CPG bridge, you redirect all login attempts to some forum software, as well as the LDAP server. As you say in your message, the forums have member management systems and group management systems. You can also create groups in your LDAP server, but you cannot use them to manage CPG groups, you need to add them to your CPG database. That is the easiest way to make CPG handle the groups. The hard way goes far to the complete reprogramming of CPG login system. I don't have enough time to do such a big thing.

I am asking for one possibility: Is there any trick to make CPG Group Manager active when running in bridged mode? Should I play with the "post based groups" settings? Or are there some other things that I can do? Any idea can also work, I try to code it.

Thanks

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 08:33:45 am »

I haven't used the LDAP bridge and never used bridging at a live gallery (just used it for some tests to give basic bridge support). As far as I know the group manager still works when bridging is enabled, as you can set there some group specific settings. If you don't use post based groups, there should be only three groups: Admin, Registered, Guests. If you use post based groups, you should see all available groups from "board" (i.e. your LDAP server). I can just repeat, that I don't know if it works or what happens when you enable them during bridging, so just give it a try.

Cyrolancer

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 09:00:18 am »

Thank you André. Somehow I forgot to comment out

Code: [Select]
$this->group_overrride = !$this->use_post_based_groups;

After commenting, group manager started to work.

Also, I have another question. In the default bridge template, there is a variable:

Code: [Select]
$this->multigroups = 1

Do you have any information about it?

Also, I am wondering if I can use subgroups in CPG?

Thanks a lot.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 09:29:47 am »

Unfortunately I cannot give you any information about multigroups and subgroups.

Cyrolancer

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 10:45:25 am »

I have found some references to multigroups.

in bridge/udb_base.inc.php

function load_user_data($row)
    {
        global $USER_DATA;

$USER_DATA['user_id'] = $row['id'];
        $USER_DATA['user_name'] = $row['username'];

//changed to "row['group_id']" $group_id = $row[($this->usergroupstable)?$this->field['usertbl_group_id']:$this->field['grouptbl_group_id']];

if  ($this->multigroups){
            $USER_DATA['groups'] = $this->get_groups($row);

} else {
            if ($this->use_post_based_groups){
                $USER_DATA['groups'] = array(0 => $row['group_id']);
            } else {
                $USER_DATA['groups'] = array(0 => (in_array($row['group_id'], $this->admingroups)) ? 1 : 2);
            }
        }
    }

and the reference get_groups() function is empty.

function get_groups($row) {}

but in bridge/coppermine.inc.php

// Get groups of which user is member
            function get_groups( $user )
            {
                $groups = array($user['group_id']);

$sql = "SELECT user_group_list FROM {$this->usertable} AS u WHERE {$this->field['user_id']}='{$user['id']}' AND user_group_list <> ''";

$result = cpg_db_query($sql, $this->link_id);

if ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)){
                    $groups = array_merge($groups, explode(',', $row['user_group_list']));
                }

mysql_free_result($result);

return $groups;
            }

and as far as I understand, it uses the groups inside the CPG not in the bridged software. I think, this is needed for the LDAP bridge as I use "user_group_list" column in users table.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 20 queries.