Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Several albums in an other album without new categories  (Read 4594 times)

donmarkuso

• Coppermine newbie
Several albums in an other album without new categories
« on: April 13, 2012, 09:14:27 pm »

If you please might have a look to my gallery http://photo.markusseidel.com , there you'll find several categories.
The first one is the Windsurf Freestyle Pros. For some Pros like Youp Schmit it was needed to create several albums because of the number of shootings and the mass of pictures. As I did decide for the three vertical rows layout for the albums, I don't want to break it using a new subcategory. It would be perfect to have one album i.e. for Youp Schmit with the best pictures and some subalbums in this main album for each shooting. Is this possible with CG? That would be excellent!

Any ideas?

Thank you so much
donmarkuso

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Several albums in an other album without new categories
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 09:48:13 pm »

Please search the docs for the "album keyword" feature.

donmarkuso

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 03:57:45 pm »

Dear André, after all those years I'm still hoping for the essential option to create sub-albums in a "parental" album. I really need it. I.e. I need parental albums for each sailor and sub albums for each year. Otherwise there is no more usability for editors who go through my gallery. Any solution in mind?
Thank you!

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 06:52:50 pm »

It is amazing how many of those picks on your site I have seen before, then again I run www.windsurf.me.uk and have been very active in the UK so not a big surprise.

Unfortunately, what you are trying to do is not quite supported. You can use categories and sub categories but then you might need to customise your layout.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 09:21:58 am »

As Phill said it's not possible to create sub albums. If you want to create "best of" albums, you can use the albums keyword feature, as already suggested.

donmarkuso

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 07:07:08 pm »

Thank you guys,

but it is soooo sad that there is no posibility for creating subalbums. Honestly, I don't understand why this is impossible. Whether there is another picture, video or even another album in an existing album - this should not be an issue.

All I need is this category/album-tree (i.e.):
> Freestyle windsurfing Pros
>>sailor1 + portrait-picture
>>>Fuerteventura, June 2012
>>>Bonaire, May 2013
>>>Sylt, October 2013
>>>Podersdorf, April 2014
>>sailor 2 + portrait-picture
>>>Fuerteventura, June 2012
>>>Bonaire, May 2013
>>>Bonaire, March 2014
>>>>night shots
>>>>wave action
>>>>freestyle
>>sailor 3 + portrait-picture
> Freestyle Young Guns

Maybe this will kick me out of the coppermine-community but is there an alternative php-gallery that is able to create sub-albums? Otherwise my gallery will explode!

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 08:55:07 pm »

We don't kick people out. As for other galleries I do not use any so cannot really advise. Currently albums contain image and categories are the levels so to speak. It just takes a bit of though in how you set things up.

gmc

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • GMC Design Photo Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 01:48:35 am »

Honestly, I don't understand why this is impossible. Whether there is another picture, video or even another album in an existing album - this should not be an issue.
No one said it is 'impossible'  - but as it 'breaks' the current database structure to do what you ask - it would require a significant amount of effort to be able to make such a structure change with all its supporting functions and not impact the current function.

As you can have both categories and albums under a given category - and the use of keywords to populate albums with photos contained in other albums - perhaps something like the following would work?
(Using actual categories and albums from your gallery - and adding some new categories, and 'best of' albums...)
Category Freestyle Pros (PWA)
--> Category Adrian Beholz, Germany
----> Album Adrian Beholz - Best of (photos added via keyword from albums below...)
----> Album Adrian Beholz, Germany G-888
----> Album Adrian Beholz, Germany G-888 [2]
--> Album Adam Gavriel, Israel ISR-111
--> Album Adam Sims, UK K-72

Since categories can have thumbnails just like albums - your main display would contain subcategories for those with more than one album, and then direct albums for those with only one...

Theme changes could customize the view as well.
Thanks!
Greg
My Coppermine Gallery
Need a web hosting account? See my gallery for an offer for CPG Forum users.
Send me money

donmarkuso

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 11:26:28 am »

Dear Phil & GMC,

thank you for your replys! Well, the category and subcategory idea with a featured photo is an idea. True. But the listung of combined categories and albums will cause a crazy layout. Maybe I try...
At the Moment I'm heading for "koken.me" with Theme "elementary". Looks like koken offers all a photographer would like :) But you never know...

donmarkuso

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 09:15:07 pm »

It really drives me crazy: koken gallery looks pretty good and professionel as it is responsive and everything. But the usability for visitors is a catastrophy - especially if they would like to go very fast through the gallery. The worst: It does not work well with Internet explorer and the Lightroom Uploader does not allow to upload albums - just pictures!!! Soooooo stupid!

I urgently need a real solution: Is there someone out there who is willing to do the programming for me? I'm gonna pay for it! All I need is just an "album in another album" option.
Categories and subcategories are no option as subcategories do not allow thumbnails or am I wrong???
Otherwise I would create a subcategory for every sailor on my page http://photo.markusseidel.com
Please help!!!

donmarkuso

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 09:50:20 pm »

All categories and sub categories can have thumbnails except user categories (the root ones only but not a problem in your case). Sub-categories you can have a custom thumbnail or use the last uploaded thumb or a random thumb. Top level categories you can set a custom thumbnail. So lets take one of my local sailors, Skyboy, as an example. He could have his face with maybe K-57 logo slapped in the corner of the image as a single custom thumb. Then have your subcategories divided per year for him with last uploaded thumbs. Do the same for all PWA riders and I think it could look really good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.