Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unique Votes for a Person...  (Read 2507 times)

mr.bena

• Coppermine frequent poster
Unique Votes for a Person...
« on: April 06, 2012, 10:52:33 am »

Hi, I do not know how the voting system in Coppermine checks whether one has voted for a particular picture or not, but I do know that if I have voted for a particular picture, I cannnot vote again that same picture. This is really great feature of Coppermine!

My gallery is a community-driven gallery and I am planning to choose among my community the best model depending on the number of votes received and crown the greatest vote receiver the title "The Best Model". Now, if a model called Mary uploads ten of her best pictures and a model called Angelina upload only one of her best pictures, obviously Mary will have a tendency to gain a larger votes. In reality, Angelina may be much better than Mary and if a unique vote is collected, Angelina will surely receive the title. So, in this case when the number of contestant is large, those models who upload more pictures will receive more votes...and the title goes to... Unfair surely..

I really hope this problem can be solved if each and every of the model is given a unique number say; Model-1, Model-2, Model-3 etc. in the keyword field of the pictures they have uploaded and make the voting function check for the keyword. Now, say I have voted for Mary who is bearing the keyword Model-1, no matter how much Marry has other photos I will not be able to vote for her anymore because I have voted for the keyword called Model-1 and all of her Picture is given a keyword called Model-1.   

The sad part is I do not know how to write the code or implement this function. I really hope you can help me or give me some suggestion..

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Unique Votes for a Person...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 11:37:21 am »

All the models upload the pictures themselves, right? If so, we don't need the keyword, but check against the owner_id of each picture. Unfortunately this may be a quite complex mod.

When detailed voting stats are disabled, Coppermine creates a cookie for each user that will prevent your guests to vote more than once for a picture for some time. This is of course not 'secure'.

I'm currently not sure how Coppermine behaves if detailed voting stats are enabled. Maybe it checks in the voting table if a user can vote for a picture instead of checking the cookie. Have to check that later.

Do you have detailed voting stats enabled or disabled in your gallery?

mr.bena

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 01:35:26 pm »

Hi, Andre. I understand if the visitors clear their cookies they are able to vote again. However, I will check for duplicate or same ip address and count it as one vote no matter how much vote given from that particular computer except voting by different user from the same computer. I, indeed, enable the voting statistic.

NO, the models do not upload the pictures themselves, different registered users (photographers) can upload different pictures of one particular model, that is why I refer to the keyword. No matter how much pictures of the same model uploaded by different users, I will give unique keyword for that model in each and every pictures manually. This is why we better check for the keyword and not the user_id.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:51:45 pm »

I will check for duplicate or same ip address and count it as one vote no matter how much vote given from that particular computer
If you check that afterwards anyway, we don't need to disable the voting system if a user already voted for a particular model IMHO. Instead, just adjust your ranking algorithm.

However, checking for duplicate votes based on the IP address maybe doesn't return the reality, as in some countries you get a new IP address frequently. With detailed voting stats enabled you can merge duplicate votes for the same model for each user quite easy.

mr.bena

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 07:09:30 pm »

Nevermind... Andre. I have come up with an idea I make only one picture upload is possible at a time for one model but make them able to replace their new pictures everyday by using File Repalcement Plugin..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.