Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gallery recovery - database backup?  (Read 2898 times)

lipa

• Coppermine newbie
Gallery recovery - database backup?
« on: December 21, 2011, 08:35:26 pm »

Hi team,
first of all I hope there's not another topic with this problem ,I didn't find it but if it passes me I'm sorry for wasting a new topic.

Anyway, a few months ago I had a gallery, version 1.5.8 (close to a thousand images, I think) and my free server dropped me and cancelled my account. Because it's 000webhost we're talking about and I read this board regularly fortunatly I knew what to expect and once in a while did a folder backup.

Now I have a new paid domain and a great paid host to use and I want to know, basically, If I need to develop the gallery all over again. While reading the 1.5.x documentation I learned I should have a database backup (I still don't get it how did that indo passed me by at the time) and because I'm honestly a zero in databases I don't know it it's still possible to use the folder backup to something anyway.

Mainly I just don't want to organize my forlders again but form what I've read I have the feeling that kind of characteristics is saved in the database....so, any hope for me? Can I use the folders backup to make my task a little easier or not?

Thanks in advance :)

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Gallery recovery - database backup?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 11:42:49 am »

Unfortunately without the database backup you have to start from scratch with your gallery.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 03:50:16 pm »

As Andre says, you have your images but all the data as to who uploaded them, what album they were in etc is in the database. Without that you will indeed need to re-upload all your images.

Just to add to Andre's comments. Learning about databases and how to take backups really is a easy task. If your new host provides phpmyadmin then learn to use it and test your backups regularly. If you do not have phpadmin available on your new host then there is a plugin for coppermine available that you can install and use that gives you a version of phpmyadmin.

Testing of your backups can be done on your local machine. Assuming you are windows based then a great tool such as WAMP will allow you to run a webserver on your desktop so you can have an exact copy of your live site running on your desktop. Great for learning with and great for testing backups etc. We cannot provide support on all this but there are tons of resources available on the web with a quick Google.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

lipa

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 09:14:12 pm »

It was what I already expected, from what I've been reading about databases. :-\ Thanks anyway!
Phill, yes my host has phpmyadmin and thanks for the advice, at least from now on I will start doing the right backups regularly. Databases are easy to manage form my little experience if we spend a little time learning about it, what I didn't before.

Thanks again,I consider this topic "solved".

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 09:51:48 pm »

Please,
Resolve your threads
If you have found an answer to your question, resolve your thread. Finally, you can tag your answer as "solved" by clicking on the "Topic Solved" button on the bar at the left hand side at the bottom of your thread.

Would the "free hosting" company be able to find a backup of the db if you offered a fee?

lipa

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 11:57:42 am »

Done.( so my feeling that I should mark "solved" somwhere was right, I just didn't use the forum since a long ago)

to be honest I'm not interested in dealing with this free host, I prefer to build the database from scrath, this time actuallly undertanding what I'm doing, but that's for that tip anyway, I would never think in that option ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.