Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wouldn't let me upgrade from 1.5.12 to 1.5.16...why?  (Read 4455 times)

southbayphoto

• Coppermine newbie
  • Where the heck am I?!
    • South Bay Photography
Wouldn't let me upgrade from 1.5.12 to 1.5.16...why?
« on: September 11, 2011, 04:59:06 pm »

Hello all,

Last evening I tried to update my photo gallery (http://www.southbayphoto.com/cpg/index.php) from 1.5.12 to 1.5.16 because I realized there was a later version out there and I try and keep up with the latest version.  Anyway, I downloaded the latest package, uploaded it properly to my server as I have done many times before, but when I ran the update.php script as per the instructions, it gave me an error message screen stating that Coppermine wasn't properly setup and that it was redirecting me to the "fresh install" screen.  It then redirected me to the install.php screen and proceeded to have me go through and install a fresh copy of Coppermine.  There was no way I could get around this.  It didn't make any sense because I had 1.5.12 running on my site already without any issues.

So, I tried to do the fresh install, but still use the same database and records as I already had setup before (and that was working prior to the update), but it would not let me go any further in the install stating that the records already existed in the database.  So, I had to do a fresh install with a different record table prefix to get it to complete the fresh install.  So, now if you look at the link above, I do have it up and running, but it has NONE of my settings, information, pictures, etc... in it because it's using all new tables in my database.

Is there any way I can change something in any Coppermine file to have it read the old database tables in MySQL (5.0), so that all of my information will return and I don't have to reenter all of my settings, pictures and such back in again?  I haven't changed or touched any of those records.  I didn't even know if it was possible to "rename" the old database tables in MySQL to the "new" install database table name (after deleting those records) so that the fresh install could access the old records.  If so, how do you do that?

Any idea on why running update.php didn't work and gave me the redirect to the fresh install?  There really is no screen shot or error message I can post up because it didn't give me one.  It just said that Coppermine was not installed properly and that it was redirecting to the fresh installation screen and that was it and redirected.  The only thing that has changed since I last updated to 1.5.12 is that I changed from using PC's to using Mac's, but that shouldn't have any effect on this situation, should it?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  I'm hoping I don't have to reenter everything.

Best regards,
Mat
Mat
South Bay Photography

southbayphoto

• Coppermine newbie
  • Where the heck am I?!
    • South Bay Photography
Re: Wouldn't let me upgrade from 1.5.12 to 1.5.16...why?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 08:28:02 pm »

Disregard - I finally got everything to work properly.  I found out why it didn't work.  The include/config.inc.php file wasn't uploaded into the include directory.  For some reason Transmit (my FTP program) must delete everything in the file folder (including the folder) if you are replacing files, so it deleted that file as well and I didn't realize it after I uploaded the 1.5.16 files.  That's why Coppermine stated that I didn't have a properly set up install and redirected me to do a fresh install.  I also lost all my plugins (again, it deleted everything in the folder before uploading the new 1.5.16 folder), but I can deal with that later.

Of course, I found this out AFTER I did a fresh install with a different table prefix and then learned how to rename my original tables to the "new" table prefix so that all of my info was there and I didn't have to reinput all of my information again.  So, I guess I learned something new about MySQL and about Transmit.  LOL

Anyway, I just wanted to update what happened and that the problem has been solved in case anyone else did a search on the same problem.  Make sure that your FTP program doesn't delete the include/config.inc.php file. 
Mat
South Bay Photography

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 01:50:17 pm »

We recommend FileZilla as FTP client application.

Thanks for resolving your thread.
Finally, you can tag your answer as "solved" by clicking on the "Topic Solved" button on the bar at the left hand side at the bottom of your thread.

southbayphoto

• Coppermine newbie
  • Where the heck am I?!
    • South Bay Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 07:18:47 pm »

I used to use Filezilla, but Transmit ended up working better for my photography business when I moved to Mac computers.

However, I just found out yesterday how to make it "merge" with folders instead of replacing them, so I changed that preference.  Now I shouldn't have that problem happening again.  :-)  Thank you for the suggestion, however.  Much appreciated.

I also listed this thread as "solved", per your suggestion.

Have a great day!
Mat
Mat
South Bay Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 22 queries.