Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spam Bots registration  (Read 7131 times)

Julia1

• Coppermine newbie
Spam Bots registration
« on: September 13, 2011, 07:44:17 pm »

hello

I had dozens and dozens of spam bots attempting to register.  They can't get it because I have it set to admin activation and I know they're bots.  Lately, it's too much even though they can't get it.  I have too many email notifications clogging up my mailbox and it's annoying to have to manually remove each one.

I have now disabled the registration button and when my board members request access to our gallery, I open the registration button for 5 minutes and then register, I activate them and close registration again.

I'm wondering if there was a simple Q & A that is I could place on registration where if they can't answer it, they can't proceed to register.  I have it set up on my forum, but I don't see anyway of doing that in the gallery.  If there's a way, can you tell me.

thank you

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
Re: Spam Bots registration
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 02:19:12 am »

Post a link to your Coppermine.

Please start reading your document package.

Julia1

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Re: Spam Bots registration
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 03:24:03 am »

Post a link to your Coppermine.

Please start reading your document package.

Thank you.  I am reading and doing the best I can.  I'm a newbie at this.  The gallery really is working well for us.  I have set it up perfectly after reading but some of the language is just over my head.  I am not familiar with a lot of the technical terms and am afraid to do something that would mess it up because we have 30,000 images in there now.

Here's a link. http://bonanzaboomers.com/gallery/

You can't see anything.  I can private message you Admin log in

Would you mind removing the link so it doesn't sit here.

thank you for your help. 

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:20:49 am »

<!--Coppermine Photo Gallery 1.5.8 (stable)-->
You should really update to the latest stable release (currently cpg1.5.16)!

I'm wondering if there was a simple Q & A that is I could place on registration where if they can't answer it, they can't proceed to register.
Afaik something like that isn't available yet. But there are enough plugin hooks available so it could be accomplished with a plugin (= without code modifications).

Julia1

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 04:04:07 pm »

yes, I definitely plan on updating having read the latest release fixes a security bug.  I have to wait for the person that helps me to have time to do it since upgrading is something that I'll probably mess up.  Assuming now since my registration button is 'off', I don't have to worry about that particular security feature, but I will update anyway as soon as they are available.

thank you

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 01:19:39 am »

(For all current and future readers)
I'm wondering if there was a simple Q & A that is I could place on registration where if they can't answer it, they can't proceed to register.

Yes indeed there is, in a manner of interpretation.
The questions are:

1) Can you read these numbers?
http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/configuration.htm#admin_registration_captcha_start
(Captcha that is built into Coppermine 1.5.x)

2) Can you read these words?
http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/board,91.0.html
(reCaptcha plugin that stops bots for me every day)

To help yourself as you learn - Login >> Config >> General Settings >> Enable Help icons

Julia1

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 01:39:51 am »

yes, I had already gone through the config before I came here, beleive me I did.  Some things just weren't clicking because I'm new. 

But, I always had the box checked for the help icons (and yes, they really did explain things to me better) and also the box checked for Display Captcha (Visual Confirmation) on registration page .  Is that what you are referring to?  The bots broke through that months ago.

If there's something that I can do to have a non googleable Q & A, that's what I want, but I still won't be able to do it for the gallery myself.  I'll have to wait for someone that can help me do those technical things on the board. 

thank you for your help.

Julia1

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 01:42:29 am »

ok, the 2nd one that you said is a plug in.  That is something that I obviously haven't tried.  I'll take that to my friend when he returns and see if he can help to add that to the gallery.  Unless, you think you can guide me step by step?

I am definitely technically challenged.

Well, actually until I can upgrade, I don't think I want to do that anyway because of the bug. 

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 09:03:37 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.