Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steps to build Coppermine archive and integration  (Read 6942 times)

olaeblue

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
Steps to build Coppermine archive and integration
« on: May 26, 2011, 02:00:10 pm »

I run a club website (www.yrc.org.uk) this is hosted on a CMS which 'does what we need' but doesn't support things like bulletin boards and, critically, the image galley is not appropriate for the digital archive of images I want to create.

I am looking at using Coppermine to ‘run’ the digital archive, but thinking longer term I will almost certainly the main website onto a Joomla CMS in the next 12 months at which point I would want to bridge the 2 systems (or more if I run a BBS too which would be phpBB 3 if there isn't one native in Joomla) as well as use the Joomla “Image Module for Coppermine Photo Gallery”.

My question therefore is what should I do now so that it is ready to work with Joomla in the future.  From the forums etc I think what I need to do is:
1.   Install Coppermine
2.   Install Joomla (probably using the 1and1 one-click joomla install) and enable bridging
3.   Install bridge (I’m confused here as the only one I can find is the Mehdi bridge for Joomla which there seem to be reservations about) is a bridge necessaryu with the Image Module
4.   Start using Coppermine

When ready build and enable new site in Joomla

I think this approach would ensure as & when I am ready to move the site to Joomla it will work with coppermine.

Is this right? 

Thank you

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Steps to build Coppermine archive and integration
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 02:17:53 pm »

Correct. After you have Joomla and Coppermine running you have to bridge Coppermine (with the help of mehdi's bridge) with Joomla, so Coppermine uses the user database of Joomla.

olaeblue

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 03:01:50 pm »

Thanks, so there are no issues with that bridge?  There was a cautionary comment in the documentation I read suggesting it didn't play nice!  Or is it a case that the only bridge is that one so live with it ?:-)

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 03:18:58 pm »

I don't know mehdi's bridge. We cannot support any user contributed content, so you have to ask mehdi about his bridge.

olaeblue

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 04:01:27 pm »

Ok, It was just that in the bridging documentation (http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/bridging.htm) it says "However, there are bridge files contributed by third parties that don't work in the unobstrusive manner that we propose (like the Mehdi bridge for Joomla). "

Two final questions. 
1.  As I am starting from scratch do I need to add users to both systems before I bridge or can I just add to Coppermine & then the bridge will automatically populate in Joomla or visa versa.
2.  Once a bridge is set up can you still log in directly to Coppermine without using Joomla or are you then tied to alway entering via Joomla?

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 04:22:12 pm »

1. When you apply the bridge, Coppermine only uses the Joomla user database (as I already said)
2. You'll be automatically redirected to the Joomla login form when you want to login from Coppermine

olaeblue

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 04:36:05 pm »

Thank you

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 04:43:59 pm »

you can tag your answer as "solved" by clicking on the little image in your initial posting on your thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.